Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smeghammer

New Map! Beta #3: "A Nail in the Skin of the World"

So - a vey different map from me. Completely Hell themed and somewhat surreal. Some custom stuff that seems to fit nicely, as well as my very own Flamer Baron!.

Doom2, tested with GZDoom 4.4, jumping is disabled but freelook is encouraged.

It's MAP15, but I have given it an episode def in MAPINFO so you can pick it from the start menus.

>>> DOWNLOAD <<<

Updated #3: fixes from @Silhou3tte and @Soulless feedback.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

6.png?raw=true

7.png?raw=true

8.png?raw=true

9.png?raw=true

10.png?raw=true

11.png?raw=true

12.png?raw=true

13.png?raw=true

14.png?raw=true

Edited by smeghammer

I was away from the testing chair for a while now, mainly due to working on my own project and some mental health issues that I'd rather not get into. But I'm here, and it feels really good to be back. Anyway, I've had my eye on your progress with the scripting over on the "Doom pictures thread" and the what are you working on" thread. The finished product is something that I can honestly say is a unique gimmick that could be improved upon. Also, you may have the most disorientating skybox I have ever seen... and I love it. Motion sickness has never felt this good ;)

Gameplay

You hit the player pretty hard, it seems, with a horde of imps that gave me a huge fright, and a shotgun that requires some tricky platforming to get to. I like that you're almost forcing the player to familiarize themselves with their surroundings, what supplies they have on hand, what keys they need to progress, etc. . You introduce the nails mechanic very nicely, though I'm really hesitant about the use of Fireblu as a switch. I'm but a lowly tester, but I think that having a doorred, doorblue or dooryellow texture might better mark the doors. I do see that you do thankfully "tell" the player that the fireblu texture is a switch, so all's fine there. The combat could probably do with a bit more polish. The pinkie teleport ambush feels a bit weird, since using a chainsaw on a horde usually feels repetitive. The caves don't really feel threatening, as the tight spaces limit the movement of enemies as well. The flamer baron is also a topic I'd like to discuss. He is only used once ( please correct me if I'm wrong) and I'd really recommend finding a custom skin for him, just so the player can identify him easier. Maybe raid the Realm 667 repository?

I can't help but feel the combat could be improved, the fights being less confined and claustrophobic. Maybe it's just me.....

Layout

Claustrophobia is pretty big problem in this map, though I do like the "More than meets the eye" approach, with the cave system beneath the nails. This section could be more fleshed out, but I do know you like your maps to be short yet punchy. As always, it can be finished in a couple of minutes.

Texturing and detailing

There's a really unique hellish aesthetic that you have here, and I really do like the use of textures to create this aesthetic.

Bugs

Both of these gate textures aren't set to impassible, one texture seems to be stuck between two textures and doesn't look right ( I don't know if this is intentional) and texturing looks a bit odd in one place.

https://imgur.com/a/vQXM1Ey

https://imgur.com/a/PJIN2yV

https://imgur.com/a/YUhaRJR

Conclusion

I felt really bad about pointing out my issues with this map, because I can clearly see that you put a lot of effort into this. But thank you for reading this, and if my feedback helps, than I'm more than happy.

( I also noticed that you put a health bonus next to a megasphere... seems a bit pointless, but oh well...

@Silhou3tte, thanks for the detailed and honest feedback, much appreciated. 

I'm pleased the FIREBLU switch texture hint worked! Yeah, the main reason I didn't use a standard switch is that activating one somewhat masked the nail/hammer sound with the default switch sound. I'll have a play with an alternate - or maybe just use a scripted custom texture pair that isn't a switch... 

The flame baron is my first foray into DECORATE, and yes, he does really need a different skin.

11 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

I like that you're almost forcing the player to familiarize themselves with their surroundings

That was definitely the idea, yes. If you get both blue and yellow keys, you can get the ammo horde down below - I had reserved the plasma gun for the hell knights if you got the red key in the central nail but I guess that works on the pinkies too... Maybe a berserker somewhere as well.

You are right - there is some texture work to do and I completely missed that non-impassable fence. My bad...

22 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

This section could be more fleshed out

I was wondering about that on my last playthrough before I posted it. I think, given you mention that as well, I'll do something about it. The PE should really be allowed to escape, and more than one of them.

32 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

( I also noticed that you put a health bonus next to a megasphere... seems a bit pointless, but oh well...

Indeed. I know the very one you mean... That was a placeholder I forgot to remove.

33 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

but I do know you like your maps to be short yet punchy

Haha, yes. The main reason for this is time, or lack of it. Two school-age kids, housework and actual real life work does limit the time I can spend doing maps. I do have a couple of big ones that I have been working on for a while though...

27 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

But thank you for reading this, and if my feedback helps, than I'm more than happy.

No problem at all - very much appreciated. Any constructive feedback will - hopefully - help to improve my future maps.

Thanks again for giving it a try.

hey, that map  ;)

i have a knack for surreal hell maps, and that image of a sky-high nail somehow stuck in my mind since i saw it.

definitely playing it tomorrow.

Updated following feedback from @Silhou3tte:

- fixed non-blocking fence

- corrected two textures in caves

- aligned textures (I think that was the issue?)

Also, made a bit more space between the outer fence and the spiked corpses.

Amazing work! Loved the concept.

Those nails are epic, and the blood sprinkles look great. Not to mention that nail secret that got me lost for a while,

just to notice I wasnt able to pick the secret red key anymore, smart move!

I think this would be ever better in a larger map, where you actually have to find the nails inside arenas,

that would add epicness to the plot, just an idea.

Some visual issues in case you havent fixed it yet:

https://imgur.com/a/D7oBFGq

You always surprise me with your works, keep mapping!

Hey @Soulless, thanks for the kind words and feedback! I'm glad you liked it. I'll definitely think about a bigger version. I don't know if you noticed, but the sharp end of the central nail descends into the red key secret chamber once you drop it... I liked that detail, and I want to expand it so the lower caverns show the other nail sharp ends in both raised and lowered state (with appropriate blocks to progress if no key). I do like the idea of expanding to be a more exploratory rather than arena-ey map.

I'll get on to the texture alignment though I'm not sure how to fix the HOM-type glitch.

TL;DR

Spoiler

I used a line portal at the bottom of the pit, but the exit back sector is a subsector of the arena (that you need to be able to walk over), not a standalone one with edges to the void. If you look at this sector (#329), you will see that it is covered with a 3D floor to allow the walking over in the arena, but this sector is bounded by double sided linedefs. From low down, you don't see the HOM (mostly - if the head skewer at -160,800 was not there, you would see that same glitch from there too). I was hoping that it being visible from higher up would not be that noticeable. It might be a case of moving the wall or just blocking the player's view of it.

3 hours ago, Soulless said:

You always surprise me with your works, keep mapping!

Much appreciated! I certainly will.

>>> UPDATE <<<

Fixed alignments, also added a TITLEPIC

Edited by smeghammer

The Smegmaster sacrificed his first-born upon the Unholy Alter to summon me to give his new map a spin! It's pretty damn cool thematically and I liked how you decided to be a lot less mean with this one, mate. It's nice have a more laid-back map with a greater emphasis on visuals and atmosphere for a change. The titular Nail is a sight to behold in its awesome simplicity and presence.

Hey @Biodegradable, thanks for the playthrough and feedback. Looks like I need to make it clearer that the switches are a puzzle... The multiple press thing is necessary for the red key.

The nail switches do need work - I didn't use SR with a standard switch tex because the sound overrode the nail sound. I may also add a double switching at the start with a message to the screen so it is clearer that you can repeat press.

The whirly sky is probably a bit extreme :-)

SPOILER

Spoiler

For the red key puzzle, you need to press the correct number of times (3) to lower just enough that you can get from the shotgun wall to the opposite tall platform reachable via the high fence you can walk along. The button for the central nail is up there.

The room in the cave that has the red key door also has goodies, once you get this key. Mind the Hell Knights... 

Anyhow, thanks again for giving it a whirl. 

3 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

The Smegmaster sacrificed his first-born upon the Unholy Alter to summon me to give his new map a spin! It's pretty damn cool thematically and I liked how you decided to be a lot less mean with this one, mate. It's nice have a more laid-back map with a greater emphasis on visuals and atmosphere for a change. The titular Nail is a sight to behold in its awesome simplicity and presence.

Hellish map. Interesting hell design. Yet doomy. Epic switch hunt, by the way. I would have given up. 😏