Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai

Anyone knows how to load pwads in Russian DOOM

So I´ve been trying this obscure sourceport called Russian DOOM which is itself hybrid of Chocolate DOOM, Crispy DOOM and DOOM Retro and run into some problems.

It runs and looks nice but I haven´t figured out how to load pwads or what map format the sourceport allows. I gues it can run Boom compatible because it uses features from DOOM Retro. The documentation is minimal from what I found, and there is no easy wad loader, unlike in doom retro, from what I found, not even drag and drop works because it allways loads up DOOM II, also when I try to press the tilde key it enables mouse look.

Do any of you have some experience with it? The project looks interesting and has some very nice features.

2 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

You can use the command-line as with the others, too.

I use it to play Heretic and it use the same command-line parameters.
I think it goes up up to boom/mbf format, i didn't try it so i'm not sure.

as for the info:
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Russian_Doom

How do you use command-line parameters, is it like console?

I also visited doomwiki but didn´t find my answer there.

8 minutes ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

oh, i use batch files for that.

here is how to:
1-create a .txt file

2-fil it with the command line parameters you want and save:

@echo off
start russian-heretic.exe -iwad heretic.wad -file unbeliev.wad  heremidi.wad -deh Unbelieve.hhe
exit

3-change the file extension from .txt to .bat and accept.

4-done!

Now you have a batch file that will launch the iwad, and pwad you want just with a double click ;)

@P41R47Didn´t work and I´m too tired to figure out what´s wrong, I´ll stick with Doom Retro, but I wish Brad would implement some easy to read secrets and monsters counter in automap as optional cvar (that´s what this port offered btw).

Edited by MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai

11 minutes ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

@P41R47Didn´t work and I´m too tired to figure out what´s wrong, I´ll stick with Doom Retro, but I wish Brad would implement some easy to read secrets and monsters counter in automap as optional cvar (that´s what this port offered btw).

for it to work, the .bat file has to be on the same folder where the executable and the files are located, otherwise, it wouldn't work.

2 hours ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

So I´ve been trying this obscure sourceport called Russian DOOM which is itself hybrid of Chocolate DOOM, Crispy DOOM and DOOM Retro and run into some problems.

It runs and looks nice but I haven´t figured out how to load pwads or what map format the sourceport allows.

Most ports under a commandline use -file. So if you have Doom2.wad and ASTRO.wad in the same directory (and Doom2.exe), open up a console, Cd yourself to the directory where Doom2.wad is and then:

doom2 -file ASTRO.wad

The doom2.exe will automatically load doom2.wad first, followed by ASTRO.wad.

I gues it can run Boom compatible because it uses features from DOOM Retro. The documentation is minimal from what I foun

Where did you look?

, and there is no easy wad loader, unlike in doom retro, from what I found, not even drag and drop works because it allways loads up DOOM II, also when I try to press the tilde key it enables mouse look.

Drag and drop runs just fine. It loads up Doom2 first because it's first in the directory.

Paging @Julia Nechaevskaya as she programmed it.

Do any of you have some experience with it? The project looks interesting and has some very nice features.

Here!

1 hour ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Command-line is like a console yes.

@P41R47Didn´t work

You arent supposed to copy paste that, but adjust it to your own situation. Please pay attention, because stuff like:

and I´m too tired to figure out what´s wrong, I´ll stick with Doom Retro, 

tells me you throw the towel in advance, on top of being too tired about it. 

but I wish Brad would implement some easy to read secrets and monsters counter in automap as optional cvar (that´s what this port offered btw).

Why would you want that?

You can use the Russian Doom setup to load wads too. Just press W (I think it's W) or click on the "Add wads" message, and enter the wad name, and it should load properly

@RedneckerzWow wow wow, back of the pedal a little buddy.

You arent supposed to copy paste that, but adjust it to your own situation. Please pay attention, because stuff like:

Of course I didn´t copy @P41R47 Batch file text I´m not a fool, here is my version of batch file, that I made with his help:

@echo off
start russian-doom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file AV.WAD
exit

So there is that

tells me you throw the towel in advance, on top of being too tired about it. 

Man I don´t know where you live, but when I was writing it, it was literaly 12am where I live, of course I wanted to call it a day. Maybe I should have said to give it a try next day, that would have clarified things.

9 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Why would you want that?

Well Doom Retro has a lot of nifty features, but one of the things I found little annoying is how you have to always type level stats in console commands to keep a taly how many monsters and secrets have you got, compared to other sourceports, where this information is displayed on the automap. Now Brad Harding has a good reason for this, since he wants to keep his sourceport vanily friendly (with some cosmetic modifications of course), but I feel an easy to read level stats would be fine for guys like me who just needs to quickly look how many monsters/secrets are left without using console every time.

Oh and when I say that Doom Retro shows level stats but they are hard to read (at least untill you get used to it) I don´t mean just monsters, items and secrets, I mean it show literaly everything: stuff like what type of monsters are in the map (very usefull), how many kilometers/miles you ran (neat i gues) , what´s your favorite weapon, level name, author name, succesfull shots fire/shots missed and a list of weapons, number of deaths/suicides, level time etc.

8 hours ago, Lol 6 said:

You can use the Russian Doom setup to load wads too. Just press W (I think it's W) or click on the "Add wads" message, and enter the wad name, and it should load properly

Thanks I´ll give it a try

If you can't get the batch file working, I'd recommend a launcher such as ZDL: https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL

You can configure it with the source ports and IWADs you have, and select the PWADs you want to load with it. It also has a text box to add any additional command-line arguments you want.

20 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

If you can't get the batch file working, I'd recommend a launcher such as ZDL: https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL

You can configure it with the source ports and IWADs you have, and select the PWADs you want to load with it. It also has a text box to add any additional command-line arguments you want.

Strange, it says it can´t locate IWAD files when I try to launch it (They are in Russian Doom folder).

@RedneckerzWow wow wow, back of the pedal a little buddy.

Of course I didn´t copy @P41R47 Batch file text I´m not a fool,

You said it didn't work. Naturally i would think someone copy pasted the example batch file as if it were tailor made.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the kind of users i've ran into with these kinds of problems do exactly that, and perhaps it is wrong to assume you were one of the same batch (file :P).

here is my version of batch file, that I made with his help:

So there is that

And does that work?

Man I don´t know where you live, but when I was writing it, it was literaly 12am where I live, of course I wanted to call it a day.

The reason i went against it is because you used it as a reason to stick to a different port. 

Well Doom Retro has a lot of nifty features, but one of the things I found little annoying is how you have to always type level stats in console commands to keep a taly how many monsters and secrets have you got, compared to other sourceports, where this information is displayed on the automap. Now Brad Harding has a good reason for this, since he wants to keep his sourceport vanily friendly (with some cosmetic modifications of course), but I feel an easy to read level stats would be fine for guys like me who just needs to quickly look how many monsters/secrets are left without using console every time.

I have paged Julia already on this, but this either seems worthy of a PR or a fork depending on how much weight this personal issue carries for you.

Oh and when I say that Doom Retro shows level stats but they are hard to read (at least untill you get used to it) I don´t mean just monsters, items and secrets, I mean it show literaly everything: stuff like what type of monsters are in the map (very usefull), how many kilometers/miles you ran (neat i gues) , what´s your favorite weapon, level name, author name, succesfull shots fire/shots missed and a list of weapons, number of deaths/suicides, level time etc.

Okay, so basically what you want is that there is a option to increase font sizes or that font rendering gets sharpened as both would make these stats more visible for you.

31 minutes ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Strange, it says it can´t locate IWAD files when I try to launch it (They are in Russian Doom folder).

Then ZDL needs to be pointed to the right folder as far as i know.

Try doing this instead

With a batch file

Open your russian doom folder, open a new text file inside the folder and type this

russian-doom -iwad doom2.wad -file av.wad 

Then change the extension from .txt to .bat and open it

@Lol 6 Nothing happened, here´s what I did: I went into directory where russian doom was instaled, I made a text file and wrote what you did, nothing happened so I decided to add the following:

@echo off
exit

Still no response it doesn´t even launch DOOM II, so I decide to move both AV.wad and DOOM2.wad from d:\User\My czech name\Desktop\Doom - sourceports\Russian DOOM\wads to d:\User\My czech name\Desktop\Doom - sourceports\Russian DOOM and it still doesn´t work.

I doubt the sourceport would have problem with me having Czech name since it was primarily made for Russian fans, but it is problem for ZDL so when I moved Russian Doom to completely different directory I could finaly launch AV, but when trying to load newer wads like Valiant, Ancient Aliens or Eviternity I got this (notice the sky and palete is completely wrong):

obrazek.png.99529a83067841c8e580b0a809cb613e.pngobrazek.png.8169d4599cac6adafc8ba6d1b6799dd8.pngobrazek.png.47e0c918113e63c6f8cf48762728d861.png

In ancient aliens case the game even crashed when starting first level.

Does this mean Russian doom only supports vanila format?

@Lol 6 Nothing happened, here´s what I did: I went into directory where russian doom was instaled, I made a text file and wrote what you did, nothing happened so I decided to add the following:

Still no response it doesn´t even launch DOOM II, so I decide to move both AV.wad and DOOM2.wad from d:\User\My czech name\Desktop\Doom - sourceports\Russian DOOM\wads to d:\User\My czech name\Desktop\Doom - sourceports\Russian DOOM and it still doesn´t work.

I doubt the sourceport would have problem with me having Czech name since it was primarily made for Russian fans, but it is problem for ZDL so when I moved Russian Doom to completely different directory I could finaly launch AV, but when trying to load newer wads like Valiant, Ancient Aliens or Eviternity I got this (notice the sky and palete is completely wrong):

obrazek.png.99529a83067841c8e580b0a809cb613e.pngobrazek.png.8169d4599cac6adafc8ba6d1b6799dd8.pngobrazek.png.47e0c918113e63c6f8cf48762728d861.png

In ancient aliens case the game even crashed when starting first level.

Does this mean Russian doom only supports vanila format?

Russian Doom is limit removing. It has some features from Retro, but I don't think it has the same level of compatibility

And, you have to enable "show extensions" so you're able to change the .txt to .bat

Also, which OS are you using? 

Just now, Lol 6 said:

And, you have to enable "show extensions" so you're able to change the .txt to .bat

Also, which OS are you using? 

Win 10, I do have extensions enabled so the problem is probably elsewhere.

Hmm, that's weird. Can you record what you're doing with the batch files? that way I can see what's wrong and maybe solve it.

@echo off
exit

this may be the problem or not, but try it.

add ''start'' before russian-doom, like this:

@echo off
start russian-doom -iwad doom2.wad -file av.wad
exit

Then, both iwads and pwads have to be on the same folder as the program to work.
There are ways to have them on subdirectories, but not outside from what i tried.

@P41R47 I can´t believe it, but this was the thing that got it working :D, thanks man

Unfortunately it seems more modern wads like Valiant, have trouble running (see pictures in previous posts) since the creator Julia confirmed that the source port is not fully Boom compatible only limit removing.

So in Doom´s case I will stay with Doom Retro since that one has Boom compatibility, however I will be grabing Russian Heretic and Russian Hexen as alternative to GzDoom, for vanila feel.

My thanks to P41R47, @Lol 6 and others for their help, I hope I wasn´t wasting too much of your time.