Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sectorslayer

"Why they die" - DOOM2 map [Revison F]

Welcome to Doom 2 - don't go to Doom 3

Good map I always have fun exploring, this was your hardest one yet - that start man!

Good times

Thanks, @Clippy! Loved watching your play through, as always. One way to do the start is actually infighting and running away. Also Spider Mastermind can be used as a turret. 😏

Certainly amped up your cruelty factor with this one, mate lmao. It's a good meaty challenge with fun visuals, cool layout and design and the progression kept me guessing the entire time. Really good stuff :^)

Why they die

i dunno

Great map, I like the dynamic combat due to good enemy placement.

4 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Certainly amped up your cruelty factor with this one, mate lmao. It's a good meaty challenge with fun visuals, cool layout and design and the progression kept me guessing the entire time. Really good stuff :^)

Of course, the map has got a rocket launcher for you! The last fight would have been much easier having it, right? That's why it's in a secret. >:)

Nice video @Biodegradable! You totally broke the first encounter where the player should actually have to escape from the revenants. @Clippy briefly went that way. I was actually surprised that this part is doable without temporary retreat. ;)

Got to fix the bugs now...

17 minutes ago, sectrslayr said:

Of course, the map has got a rocket launcher for you! The last fight would have been much easier having it, right? That's why it's in a secret. >:)

ACK! I knew it! You wily bastard ;^)

39 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

ACK! I knew it! You wily bastard ;^)

I fixed the bugs and uploaded a new ZIP. The rocket launcher is now visible, teasing you into finding that secret. :)

1 hour ago, sectrslayr said:

My girlfriend is sad that nobody found her secret yet. Hint: It's the one with the invulnerability sphere! ;-)

Found it during my playthrough - when you approach the Megaarmor, a pathway opens up behing you near the lava.

6 minutes ago, Vic Vos said:

Found it during my playthrough - when you approach the Megaarmor, a pathway opens up behing you near the lava.

Nice! How do you like the room design? 😉

hi. just completed your map in uv. the start was surprisingly hard. died numerous times before eventually found cover in some secret area. overall gameplay was a delight. as for map layout, though vanilla, is just breathtakingly beautiful. liked it lots. congrats and a big thank you for such an awesome release. note: i did not find the invulnerability sphere, nor a rocket launcher, but found plenty of rockets :P played file [sectrslayr_ex1.wad.zip].

MNCeOSK.png

bl6QEtU.png

IS1FvI2.png

QgAS6OR.png

s01radR.png

bsN9yRp.png

YxBoq7a.png

NaJGFVT.png

Kig8LXv.png

S47wqOh.png

Just now, sectrslayr said:

Nice! How do you like the room design? 😉

Pretty nice, she should try making a map.

14 minutes ago, saibog said:

hi. just completed your map in uv. the start was surprisingly hard. died numerous times before eventually found cover in some secret area. overall gameplay was a delight. as for map layout, though vanilla, is just breathtakingly beautiful. liked it lots. congrats and a big thank you for such an awesome release. note: i did not find the invulnerability sphere, nor a rocket launcher, but found plenty of rockets :P played file [sectrslayr_ex1.wad.zip].

MNCeOSK.png

bl6QEtU.png

IS1FvI2.png

QgAS6OR.png

s01radR.png

bsN9yRp.png

YxBoq7a.png

NaJGFVT.png

Kig8LXv.png

S47wqOh.png

Oh, thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. ☺️
I uploaded a slightly updated version. 

Nice screenshots by the way! Dynamic lighting and stuff...

3 hours ago, sectrslayr said:

My girlfriend is sad that nobody found her secret yet. Hint: It's the one with the invulnerability sphere! ;-)

The one I grabbed by bumping into the wall?

"Why they die"

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Vanilla

Deaths → 1

Saves → none

Screenshot-Doom-20210420-191933.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210420-192459.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210420-192932.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210420-193745.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210420-194733.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210420-195120.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210420-200922.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210420-201139.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210420-201215.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210420-201221.png

A very interesting map with what is said about the visual aspect, I really liked how it is that the map has so many things in view, and it does not stay in monotony, in truth it is something very surprising to see, already that has places that have structures and architectures used in a very well done way, and in terms of the aspect of the fighting, because here there is not much problem either, since there are parts where if you feel a really great tension for having to escape from certain enemies with which you cannot defeat with the weapon you have, for example, as is the case at the beginning, when the Marine watches the Revenants arrive with some Pinkys, already in the other parts this is different, because here already the other weapons are obtained and well, that already ends up solving the problems. Among certain complaints that I could give about your map is the fact that in certain parts, when falling by accident, there is no way to get back to the top, which in itself is really bad, and this kind of thing They are the ones I hate the most on maps, but hey, putting that aside, everything was very good for me. Great job with the map, and I hope that in your future projects, at least you will include ways to get back to the platform or place where the Marine has fallen with no return.

16 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

Among certain complaints that I could give about your map is the fact that in certain parts, when falling by accident, there is no way to get back to the top,

Thank you for the review, @ElPadrecitoCholo! I was experimenting with a lot of things on this map. Certainly it is not perfect. But I will keep it this way for now. 

I agree, some of the death pits are bad. But some also add to the challenge. Not sure about this gameplay aspect yet. Although the first inescapable pit appeared in E1M3. So I think I will have to put one into my next map. Just to stay close to the original. 😬

14 hours ago, sectrslayr said:

Thank you for the review, @ElPadrecitoCholo! I was experimenting with a lot of things on this map. Certainly it is not perfect. But I will keep it this way for now. 

I agree, some of the death pits are bad. But some also add to the challenge. Not sure about this gameplay aspect yet. Although the first inescapable pit appeared in E1M3. So I think I will have to put one into my next map. Just to stay close to the original. 😬

You're welcome, and that's fine, although it's really one of the things I hate the most about community-made maps, but hey, let's see what happens in your next project.

I just put up another small update.

• Made it harder to kill all the monsters in the first encounters without running away at first.
  • Slight changes to ammo placement.
  • The rocket launcher remains a secret. But it should now be impossible to miss, even in heavy combat.
  • Put in some teleporters to escape from pits and to help backtrack in the last part of the map.
  • Fixed some texture alignment and sound/monster blocking lines.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:00 PM, sectrslayr said:

Of course, the map has got a rocket launcher for you!

Definitely a challenging map. The start in particular can go wrong easily if you get trapped, but as it's the start it's easy enough to reset. If someone doesn't get the BFG secret, I think it's a tough map to beat with only the PG, so I really think the RL needs to be more obvious. (It's also possible to get trapped near the dropdown to the RL as you have at least one gap that is wide enough to fall down but impossible to get out of, and the floor didn't kill me either)

Felt challenging without being unfair. I was surprised by an AV spawn behind me and had to backtrack through the map to top up some of my health. Final battle would be much harder without the BFG, but definitely doable with RL/PG. Really good job here!

Looks like @Martinoz did an epic all-secrets Brutal Doom run of this map! Couldn’t find it in the forums quick. So, here is the YouTube link: 

Woo, the pain from this map is finally done

Screenshot_Doom_20210717_164946.png.81e57e3c768177b035cf135d5f19889a.png

All the secrets where found in my blind run but one enemy managed to escape. I don't care about the items

Well, it's a big fun map. I really like the hall and the battle area design but you went too harsh with the start. Good luck with your E1M3 map :)