Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlayerOGames666

What if Classic DOOM gets forgotten..?

Think about it: in the future, with the buildup of the nuDoom games, people may forget that Classic DOOM exists, and the thing we may be remembered for is shipping characters because they release on the same date as the next doom game...

Oh god, if Doomworld gets forgotten and everyone remembers the community to be r/DOOM...

Well, have Super Mario Bros. been forgotten? Or first Ultima games? It's such a milestone in gaming that it won't get forgotten. It's a legend.

22 minutes ago, Paar said:

Or first Ultima games?

I mean if you ask average gamer what is Ultima, none of them would give you an answer.

But to answer OP @SlayerOGames666 , how can it get forgoten? DOOM is a landmark title that defined a genre and with the source code released, it means that it will never be forgoten or lost unlike other less fortunate games like the early Star Wars Dark Forces games, especialy Dark Forces II, an excelent game that´s a bitch to run on a modern system (and the only thing holding it together is glue), because Disney/Lucasarts refuses to release the source code.

I doubt that will happen anytime soon, classic Doom is supreme.

For example I enjoyed the new Doom games but I still consider classic Doom to be much better. I have only played through Eternal once, but I have been coming back to classic Doom for decades. It just has more replay value and staying power in my opinion.

Maybe it's the pixels and aesthetics or maybe it's just nostalgia, but classic Doom will always be the king among kings to me. At least as far as Doom games are concerned.

To be honest, it's not my concern if people play Doom or not.  People are free to play Donkey Kong if they prefer, it won't change what i like and my opinion shouldn't matter to them.

6 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

What is this "Classic Doom" you all speak of? What is this website? Who are you? Get off my lawn!!!!

While your scaring off the local kids I'll be right next to you scowling and shaking my fist at the sky....right after I find my tweed slippers and tobacco pipe.

While I don't think the actual games will be forgotten, I do wonder if we'll ever actually get a modern Doom game that actually plays like Classic Doom.

2016 is more akin to Serious Sam with a Doom Skin I feel and Doom 3, while IMO closer, still had lacked any big fights for the most part and levels, while not straight lines, weren't exactly mazes for the most part.

It says alot that Doom 2 RPG for mobile is I think the last doom game to actually have secret walls of any kind. (I'm pretty sure it had them.)

18 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Another great case for:

image.png

But on a more serious note:

Classic Tomb Raider had a level editor that still is used to create many fan-levels for the game.

That doesn't change the fact the average TR fan generally doesn't care about this (if they know at all.) and care more for the modern reboot. (which is practically a different game.)

Maybe in the far future the community will shrink down and there won't be any new people to keep all the level editors and source ports up to date with newer systems, but i highly doubt the game will be forgotten. Keeping the community creations archived and catching the interest of young people will be really important if we plan to see people still playing doom, say, 50 years from now. If we look far enough into the future it becomes more likely it will only remain as a memory when talking about entertainment during the start of the computer age or something like that.

But seeing how many games even thousands of years old are still played and even popular today there's some hope that Doom will maybe pick up again even after a long time, as long as the game files still out there somewhere.

Tell your younger siblings or kids if you have them!

Made me happy that I could get my much younger 9 year old half-brother into Doom. He can't play it endlessly like he could a dopamine-tuned modern game, but he really loves the monster designs and speed.

I don't know if the community will last, but I think its place in history is assured as much as Mario Bros, Black Sabbath, Don Quixote or Star Wars.

The only "classic games" that get forgotten tend to be those who were never good to begin with, i.e. Street Fighter 1.

It's been around for over 25 years. If it was going to die, it would have already happened. At this point, it's like asking, "What if Shakespeare gets forgotten?". It just won't happen.

A hundred years from now people will still be playing and mapping for this game.

Hah! I remember this exact same thing being mentioned before Doom 3 was released. Some people thought Doom 3 would be the end of the earlier games. I didn't think that was going to happen back then and I still don't think it's going to happen with anything you want to call NuDhoom..

47 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

A hundred years from now people will still be playing and mapping for this game.

Unless all electronics stop functioning, that is...

3 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Classic Tomb Raider had a level editor that still is used to create many fan-levels for the game.

That doesn't change the fact the average TR fan generally doesn't care about this (if they know at all.) and care more for the modern reboot. (which is practically a different game.)

Classic TR is not as extensible as Doom. Unless there are multiple source ports of TR i am not remembering.

Everything will be forgotten eventually

Everyone will die

The universe will become void

But until then, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Doom's had too much of an influence to be truly 'forgotten', but it could still get mostly relegated to a footnote in history. But, that's not the worst thing ever. Culture always has its time. We enjoy it while it's here, and then it moves on and we enjoy the next thing. Lots of great things existed, had their time, and then stopped being important.

4 hours ago, Samz707 said:

That's not really accurate at all. In no way has the original Tomb Raider game been "forgotten". Hell, for the recent Fortnite Lara Croft skin (which is a good litmus test for whatever is culturally popular right now) it famously includes a classic Lara look from the first game. I think you have a incorrect assumption for what "forgotten" means.

Classic Doom, on the other hand, will outlive everything. In 15 years I guarantee Doom and Doom 2 will have more players than either Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal, same as they have more players than Doom 3 does now.