Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Teo Slayer

Favourite Track from the Classic Doom Series

Which track is your favourite from the classic Doom Series?
It can be from either Doom, Doom II and Final Doom

Edited by Teo Slayer

From Doom: I Sawed the Demons, Intermission, Sweet Little Dead Bunny

From Doom II: Running from Evil, Doom, Message for the Archvile

From TNT: Smells Like a Burning Corpse, Blood Jungle, Into the Beast's Belly

I can't pick just one from each, 3 I can just about do.

Doom: The Demons from Adrian's Pen, Deep Into the Code, The End of Doom

Doom II: Message for the Arch Vile, Adrian's Asleep, Between Levels

TNT: Open Season, Death's Bells, Blood Jungle

For Doom 1 it's a tie between I Sawed the Demons (E2M1), Sign of Evil (E1M8), and Nobody Told Me About ID (E2M8)

For Doom 2 Into Sandy's City (Map 9) is easily my favorite, with the Endgame music (Map 21 of Plutonia) at 2nd.

For TNT Into the Beast's Belly contends with Into Sandy's City for my favorite piece of music in the 4 original doom wads. I think Into Sandy's City is a better piece of music in isolation but Into the Beast's Belly fits its levels way way better. Very hard to pick a 2nd favorite out of TNT's music, so many good tracks.

doom 1: tie between i sawed the demons and facing the spider (special mentions to donna to the rescue and untitled)

doom 2: tie between healer stalks and into sandy's city (special mention to the dave d taylor blues)

tnt evilution:  no contest, none of the original music for TNT compares to into the beast's belly 

plutonia midi pack: plunge saw by bucket

out of those, i think my favourite is plunge saw. it's given me a newfound joy for that level. the midi makes it so exciting to go through and i've played it several times over the past few days because of that midi.

edit: I'm listening to the map 01 tune from revilution for the very first time.... bucket is a musical madman genius and i salute him

Edited by joshthenesnerd

Doom

End of Episode - my favourite IWAD track, perfectly encapsulates the essence of UD.

Sign of Evil - a beautiful, melancholic tune that instills a feeling of hopeless isolation.

They're Going to Get You - the most atmospheric IWAD track. Haunting and ethereal.

Doom 2

DOOM - oppressive and industrial. Most atmospheric track in Doom 2.

Into Sandy's City - epic, nuff said. One of the coolest IWAD tracks.

The Demon's Dead - melancholic and oppressive, yet strangely epic. My favourite Doom 2 track.

Evilution

Cold Subtleness - hands down the creepiest and most eccentric IWAD track.

More - nothing in particular to say here, I just enjoying listening to this one on loop.

Sadistic - aggressive, bloodthirsty track. Makes me wanna 'zerk some poor demon to gibs.

Edit: damn, I completely forgot about Endgame! That track is rad as hell, I wish it was used more often outside of intermissions.

Edited by Omniarch

Doom - Sinister (E2M6/E4M7) - Part of the reason why I find E2M6 to be such a great map as well. Dark and creepy, it is perfect for a dimly lit techbase or hell level.

Doom 2 - Into Sandy's City - By far the best, never feels overplayed (Like D_runnin) or repetitive like some of the other doom 2 tracks.

TNT - Death's bells - Like Sinister this midi can be put into multiple settings, feeling appropriate for Wormhole, Nukage Processing and River Styx.

Hard to tell in regards to the top of those three, Sinister and Death's Bells I have used a few times in separate projects. I will probably go for Death's Bells.

BLOOOOOD JUNGULLLLLLLL!

Putting aside the fact that from one perspective, it sounds like a name so edgy, a mere brush would qualify you to join the Yakuza by taking the entire fingertip off(also it may not be the original name), Jonathan el-Biziri crafted a track which has proven tricky to use elsewhere, even if the melody bears a striking similarity to the rhythm used by Jimmy in his rearrangement of what became "Icicles." It also has instrumentation at the beginning that I heard a year or two later in an obscure Christman song.

Outside of that, the track I like best pre-oughts is probably "Dreadnought" or "Hidden Anger." Mark Klem makes LA Sieben and el-Biziri look nearly like chumps in comparison.

Classic Doom has a lot of great tracks, Doom II a bit less, but when I think of Doom, "At Doom's Gate" is the one that immediately comes to mind.

"Intermission from DOOM" is a close second.

Really hard to pick considering all of them are amazing, but here I go

Doom:

On the Hunt, The Demons from Adrians Pen, They're Going to Get You

Doom 2:

Waiting For Romero To Play, Opening To Hell (Best one imo), Intermission

1 minute ago, HLRaven said:

Doom 2:

Waiting For Romero To Play, Opening To Hell (Best one imo), Intermission

OH GOD, i feel like an idiot for forgetting to put Opening to Hell in my post haha, definitely an amazing track

Nobody Told Me About Id.

Honourable mentions go to Sweet Little Dead Bunny, Into Sandy's City, and Evil Incarnate. (Fun fact, in the first version of doom 2 I ever played, the GBA port, Evil Incarnate was the song for map 28. I don't know why the change was made, but it threw me for a loop when I finally played through doom 2 on the PC.)

Into the beast's belly

Aim Shoot kill

Into Sandy's city

D_RUNNIN

At doom's gate, Nobody told me about it, Donna to the Rescue (SNES version) Facing the spider.

1. Soldier of Chaos (best).

2. Message From the Archvile (sounds like Doomguy's searching for it worried).

3. Death Bells (Epic but sounds like rap music).

4. Between Levels (Drums are incredible. Why the hell was this used in only one level??)

5. Sinister (scariest).

Edited by HombreSal

Doom: Sinister (E2M6).

Doom II: Damn near everyone will probably say Running From Evil (MAP01/15) or Into Sandy's City (MAP09), so I'll be a rebel: Waiting For Romero To Play (MAP18/27).

TNT: Agony Rhapsody (MAP06).

6 hours ago, cannonball said:

Doom 2 - Into Sandy's City - By far the best, never feels overplayed (Like D_runnin) or repetitive like some of the other doom 2 tracks.

That is so great. 

Ultimate Doom: E1M2 and E2M4 most definitely, the latter must be a crucial part of an obscure journey with segments of pure silence; actually nearly all of them are as equally as "differently" good for me except maybe E2M3 (though I do like the track in the intermission screen), the E2M8 and E3M8 are my least favourite, and the daisy midi doesn't do anything for me nowadays. I like some of these in Plutonia more.

Doom II: MAP05's and MAP18's have that melancholic feel that for some reason connects with me the most; MAP23 is one I know some people don't like but I love the music (actually reminds me more of Plutonia's map). I like the rest as well, not as much as the previous mentioned ones.

TNT: MAP13's is my all time favorite iwad midi. I like listening to it more on that map than in 04 or 29 (and in consequence I can't stand it recycled in maps that don't evoke melancholy or have a nighttime/starry sky). MAP06's, MAP14's and MAP16's are close favorites too. I love how TNT music fits 10/10 in some Hellbound maps. The one in TNT11 is so ear-rapey but bizarre that I neither like or dislike. It'd be a favorite if it chilled out those NEEEEEENEEEENEENEENEENEEEEE and RWAAARWAAARWAAAAAANYOOOOO in the middle.

All the songs are good in the iwads, but if I was to pick 5 from each iwad.

Doom: E1M5, E1M8, E2M2, E2M6, E3M1

Doom 2: MAP08, MAP18, MAP20, MAP28, Readme

TNT: MAP01, MAP02, MAP04, MAP06, MAP31

I could come back in a year and have a slightly different choice. They are all good songs, even D_RUNNIN with it's organ hehe.

Uhm, okay...

Doom: Sinister
Doom 2: Message for the Archvile
TNT: Soldier of Chaos I think, but AimShootKill, Let's Kill at Will and Cold Subtleness are also really close.
Plutonia MIDI pack: About every midi that's included lol

NEEEEEENEEEENEENEENEENEEEEE and RWAAARWAAARWAAAAAANYOOOOO

Not inaccurate, tbf

Doom:

• Suspense (E1M5, E4M4)
  • Demons on the Prey (E1M7, E2M5, E3M5, E4M8)
  • Sign of Evil (E1M8, E3M4, E4M1)
  • The Demons from Adrian's Pen (E2M2)
  • They're Going to Get You (E2M4, E4M6)
  • Sinister (E2M6, E4M7)
  • Waltz of the Demons (E2M7, E3M7, E4M5)
  • Nobody Told Me About id (E2M8)
  • The End of DOOM (text screen)

Doom II:

• DOOM (MAP05, MAP13)
  • Shawn's got the Shotgun (MAP07, MAP19, MAP29)
  • Into Sandy's City (MAP09)
  • The Demon's Dead (MAP10, MAP16)
  • Waiting for Romero to Play (MAP18, MAP27)
  • Opening to Hell (MAP30)
  • Read Me (text screen)

TNT:

• Sadistic (MAP01, MAP09)
  • Smells like Burning Corpse  (MAP02, MAP15)
  • Death's Bells (MAP04, MAP13, MAP29)
  • Agony Rhapsody (MAP06)
  • Into the Beast's Belly (MAP08, MAP27, MAP30)
  • Blood Jungle (MAP16, MAP26)
  • AimShootKill (MAP22, MAP28)
  • Legion of the Lost (MAP31, intermission, cast)
  • Also not really a favorite, but the text screen music is surprisingly efficient. It's so short but it loops well so I don't get tired of it during the text screens. But in a level it'd probably end up being godawful.

So, mostly the ambient tracks from Doom and Doom II (they're probably part of why episode 2 is my favorite, screw the haters), with just Shawn shotgunning an exception in the trend. For TNT, it's mostly L.A. Sieben's bombastic tracks.

I'm picking 3 for each cause choosing is difficult work.

DOOM: 

• Nobody Told Me About id
  • Sign of Evil
  • The Demons From Adrian's Pen

DOOM II:

• Running From Evil
  • Into Sandy's City
  • Opening to Hell

Everybody's a fan of the faster tracks like Nobody Told Me and Sandy's City but it's always nice seeing the slower, quieter tracks that leave you wandering the level scared some love.