Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

Is Freedoom 1.0 in development hell? Anyone intrested in restarting the project?

The project might look inactive if you're not part of the Freedoom Discord server but I can assure you it isn't.

A lot of stuff was stuck in pull requests that I didn't have time to merge. I recently granted commit access to Xindage and Janizdreg, who are both long-time contributors to the project, and I hope this will help to move things forward.

10 minutes ago, fraggle said:

The project might look inactive if you're not part of the Freedoom Discord server but I can assure you it isn't.

A lot of stuff was stuck in pull requests that I didn't have time to merge. I recently granted commit access to Xindage and Janizdreg, who are both long-time contributors to the project, and I hope this will help to move things forward.

i really think the website needs to be updated even more now that all maps have been converted to vanilla

Maybe someone could write a digest of what has happened on discord every once in a while? I feel very out of the loop. And no, using discord is definitely not an option.

I could possibly make Freestrife for chocolate strife, but the problem is modding in general, there is no real DeHackED for strife, even if there is a DeHackED variant for strife, it may be hard to work with, plus a major problem is voice acting, last problem is motivation, which I don't have.

Edit: Plus now that I know that Strife: VE is SeHackEd compatible, I would much rather build HalfLife for it

Edited by Redoom

9 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

It is my understanding that the people involved in actual development now mostly communicate via discord. Since I don't use that, I largely don't know the state of affairs, but I had the impression that plans about moving forward exist and are being carried out as the time permits.I

I wrote my comment without first pulling the latest from git, which was silly of me since there's actually been a lot of activity in the last week, which is great.

I hope my comment didn't rub anyone the wrong way. I also meant it as a compliment to how complete and close to done Freedoom is.

For example, you say that all maps are good, even though some may not perfectly comply with vanilla standards. I remember from old discussions that 100% vanilla compatibility was set as one of the goals at one point (and this is reflected in the current project readme), and you can see the work done in that direction in another thread. If you're suggesting to drop that goal, what is your reasoning for that?

I'm in favor of 100% vanilla compliance. I even submitted a pull request that adds a test script to test for vanilla compliance. I was exploring how things could be wrapped up easily, but I see now that that's no longer relevant.

But Doom and Doom II weren't libre, open source community projects, they were done on schedule in a completely different environment. Besides, Doom actually had some not very drastic, but noticeable changes after the initial release, so I'm not sure the analogy can provide useful insights.

Maybe I should've done more research into Freedoom's post 1.0 goals before making that comparison, but often with games they become static at some point. People can then set speed run records knowing they'll remain relevant, but is that a good reason? I actually don't know, but I'm happy to hear what others think.

just a quick FYI

GZFreeDOOM has changed its name to GZFreePunk to reflect the steampunk astetics that will likely be a big part of it moving forward and to put fraggles worries to rest while also restoring my full creative freedom. It is still a fork of FreeDOOM, it is still using the Freedoom levels but as UDMF maps and it is still a solo project.

But I plan on moving it to github soon, just needs some time to complete e1m3 and some of the new graphics and stuff.

Potentially GZFreePunk could diverge more and more from freedoom, it might and it might not, time will tell.

But it will be the first complete, standalone, vanilla compatible, free and open UDMF/GZDoom game that I know of, that uses its own stand alone ipk3

also it will be one big project now with all the 100+ levels and it will be presenting the player with the option to start a phase 2 episode or one of the phase 1 episodes ... thus phase 1 maps will be played with the full arsenal

Edited by CBM

On 8/14/2021 at 1:59 AM, CBM said:

GZFreeDOOM has changed its name to GZFreePunk to reflect the steampunk astetics that will likely be a big part of it moving forward and to put fraggles worries to rest while also restoring my full creative freedom. It is still a fork of FreeDOOM, it is still using the Freedoom levels but as UDMF maps and it is still a solo project.

Sounds like a neat project. Probably one of the first things to do is create readme describing the goals of the project since otherwise different folks might have different ideas about what it will look like, but good luck in any case.

2 hours ago, selliott4 said:

Sounds like a neat project. Probably one of the first things to do is create readme describing the goals of the project since otherwise different folks might have different ideas about what it will look like, but good luck in any case.

Thanks.

I asked around before starting the project and there were a lot of people who believed it worthwhile to update the freedoom maps with UDMF features and then the project has begun to snowball from there... with the latest being my 3d monsters that turned out to have steampunk estetics.

Since I like steampunk and since its not very often explored, I decided to go full-in on it. The levels will still be based on freedoom though as will most textures and stuff

On 6/4/2022 at 8:45 AM, Mâster Đemon 64 said:

Freedoom debe tener todas las equivalentes del doom original

Ya los tiene, algunos sprites y sonidos son un poco viejos (Al menos en la versión 0.12.1), pero en general está completo. Que yo sepa aún se está trabajando en reemplazos para los sprites y sonidos viejos, pero en general es mayormente jugable

Freedoom debería tener su propio Sigil imágenes de cómo sería fantástico sus propios niveles maestros y también libertad en la tierra sería com no rest for the living

1 hour ago, Mâster Đemon 64 said:

Freedoom debería tener su propio Sigil imágenes de cómo sería fantástico sus propios niveles maestros y también libertad en la tierra sería com no rest for the living

Todos esos wads se pueden jugar con FreeDoom, solo los tienes que cargar en un port con FreeDoom como Iwad

13 hours ago, Mâster Đemon 64 said:

Ya lo sé pero si tuvieran su propia versiones sería épico

¿Entonces por qué no mejor intentas crearlos tu mismo? Ya te habían dicho que solo sugerir realmente no te va a llevar a ningún lado aquí, a menos que haya gente que realmente tenga tiempo para hacerlo y que quieran hacerlo

On 4/18/2021 at 11:49 PM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

We all know that FreeDoom was designed to be a free & open source release of both Doom 1 & 2 with original artwork, but since the mid to late 2010s, development seems to have been slowed down almost tremendously due to lack of users in charge of the project on GitHub.

FreeDoom Phase 1 & 2, as well as FreeDM are really becoming the DOOM community equivalent of the troubled development of Windows Vista when that was under codename "Longhorn" where Microsoft had to restart development, and more ambitious DOOM community equivalents of the troubled development cycle of Duke Nukem Forever from 1997 to 2011 & DOOM 2016 from 2007-08 to 2016.

I'm presumably thinking that FreeDoom 1.0 is in development hell, and I'm thinking about wanting to restart the project from the ground up in most aspects, from repolishing the already included and work in progress graphics to redesigning the semi-completed maps or replacing most maps with better quality "contest-winning" styled ones.

Most of the existing assets can be here to stay with a possible project restart, while others should technically be scrapped altogether.

What do you think, should most of the aspects & assets be remade from the ground up, or do you think they should be kept? Your opinions here in this discussion.

i think it was said on the discord server that there may not be a version 1.0 until all sprites and texutres get cleaned up.. the ss for example still are unfinished and are unused, same with the wolfenstein textures.

11 hours ago, Bowsertime28 said:

i think it was said on the discord server that there may not be a version 1.0 until all sprites and texutres get cleaned up.. the ss for example still are unfinished and are unused, same with the wolfenstein textures.

I think the SS are unused not solely because the sprites are unfinished, but because their original use was in joke maps, and Freedoom isn't supposed to reflect those joke maps

10 minutes ago, jerk-o said:

What if the SS get turned into a Hell Knight version of the Chain Gunner?

They need to be vainilla compatible so more easy solution would be a recolored soldier.

22 hours ago, D4NUK1 said:

They need to be vainilla compatible so more easy solution would be a recolored soldier.

That works.  My basic idea was: Imagine Plutonia with the SS replacing the Chaingunners.