Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MidnightMage

the Precipice (an 3DGE Community Project)

Posted (edited)

3dgeTITLE.png.717d5ebcf19f66124c4e0721b6c7fc6c.png

Hello Doomworld!

I'm looking to recruit some mappers for an Ultimate Doom episode for the 3dge Sourceport. Any maps are welcomed in any format including limit removing, Boom or UDMF as long it runs properly on the latest devbuild of 3DGE.

3DGE supports limit removing maps, BOOM maps, and UDMF (to an extent) and I'm looking for a couple likeminded individuals to contribute maps and give the port a shot.

I've always enjoyed 3dge and would like to use this mapset as an opportunity to hopefully draw more interest and mappers to the port.

I'd like to introduce you to the Precipice, an 3DGE community project.

As stated above this is intended to be an episode replacer for the Ultimate Doom. Depending on how many maps are submitted this could be either just an Episode 1 replacer or could be several EPISODES depending on how much traction it gets.

(All map slots are subject to change depending on the difficulty curve of the wad)

e1m1 - Pistol Grip Pump by MidnightMage

e1m2 - Zigurat Core by MidnightMage

e1m3 - Ghosts in the Machine by MidnightMage

e1m4 - Azathoth Lab by MidnightMage

e1m5 - ( reserved for obake )

e1m6 - ( reserved for compy286 )

e1m7 - ( reserved for Kloki38 )

e1m8 - 

e1m9 - 

No new textures or flats will be allowed but all 3dge features are allowed in submitted maps. I'm looking to make the last day for submissions August 1st 2021.

I've created 4 maps so far. Also, the titlepic is a filler, if there's any graphic artists out there that could provide one I would appreciate it!

E1M1 : Pistol Grip Pump by MidnightMage 

midi from Freemidi : Renegades of Funk originally by Rage Against the Machine

shot01.png.a49a2a2d64f253b027998bc0810ec7aa.png

shot02.png.ad73c547dab95867a7d356ee39b69127.png

E1M2 Ziggurat Core by MidnightMage 

midi from Goldeneye 64

shot04.png.f2c9bca11bf4bda0648cc959fde68b4f.png

E1M3 : Ghosts in the Machine by MidnightMage 

midi from Freemidi : Born as Ghosts originally by Rage Against the Machine

E1M4 : Azathoth Lab by MidnightMage midi

midi from Goldeneye 64

shot06.png.ecd03ce79d82dee8a60f9e26d02760c1.png

shot08.png.8ca25b20a63ea51aca30e6d4f50ced04.png

shot09.png.96bb0b141c73b5adb98bc1df1c8ab747.png

Anyways, the download for the wad is down below. I'd love to see what you come up with, if you're interested in posting a map just link it in this thread.

CURRENT BUILD (All map slots are subject to change depending on the difficulty curve of the wad)

PrecipiceV2.zip

Edited by MidnightMage : Clarity

Posted (edited)

I included a casual map, and a slaughter map in my demo so I'd say make whatever you want, but more casual might be better for an E1 tech base theme. 

E1 didn't have cacodemons, lost souls, spider masterminds or cyberdemons. So ideally this would follow the same sort of idea with the most difficult enemy being a baron fight to close the episode.

Edited by MidnightMage : adding moar stuff

Posted (edited)

Oh, so it's like original episode 1 in terms of monsters usage and theme, i see...

Is there any deadline?

Edited by Walter confetti

Posted (edited)

I like the texture usage and the room-over-room areas were interesting. Personally not a huge fan of slaughter maps though. The music track for E1M3 gave me a headache, what the hell is that noise? It sounds drunk. Shame, because I really dig the one for E1M1.

Lol, ok maybe I'll find another midi for E1M3 then. 

As for a deadline I'm going to aim for August 1st 2021.

I'll post this in the OP, as that was an oversight of mine.

This project looks really cool, it'd be nice to have some new stuff built around 3DGE. I've got a lot of things in the oven right now, but I really hope to see some other mappers joining in. Maybe a good way to draw mappers would be to have a list of slots in the OP?

e1m1 - e1m4: Voltcom

e1m5: _______

e1m6: _______

e1m7: _______

e1m8: _______

e1m9: _______

A VERY SMALL thing that I noticed, the graphics for the map names seem to be inconsistent, for example Azathoth Lab is the only one capitalized and Pistol Grip Pump is a slightly different shade with different spacing. Not trying to be anal, I just think it would look a bit nicer - I know this is an early beta, after all. Also, I gotta agree with CeeJay about that E1M3 midi, but to be fair it's just that high pitched whiny riff for the first few seconds, after that it gets pretty cool. If you want to keep that track in, I could probably try editing it just a tad to make it less irritating at the start and middle bit!

yay! good luck with the project. too bad that my best map is still "two rectangles connected with a rectangle", otherwise i'd happily join. because "less-popular" sourceports definitely need more love! ;-)

46 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

This project looks really cool, it'd be nice to have some new stuff built around 3DGE. I've got a lot of things in the oven right now, but I really hope to see some other mappers joining in. Maybe a good way to draw mappers would be to have a list of slots in the OP?

e1m1 - e1m4: Voltcom

e1m5: _______

e1m6: _______

e1m7: _______

e1m8: _______

e1m9: _______

You know what, that's like the most obvious thing and I didn't even think to include it! derp :P

As for the Ghosts in the Machine midi track, I think I'll just swap it with a tune from Ultimate Doom.

20 minutes ago, ketmar said:

yay! good luck with the project. too bad that my best map is still "two rectangles connected with a rectangle", otherwise i'd happily join. because "less-popular" sourceports definitely need more love! ;-)

You know Ketmar, I think mapping might be a good excercise for you!

But yeah it seems a lot of projects are either only made for PrBoom+ or GZDoom, it'd be nice to foster more variety in mapping projects.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, MidnightMage said:

You know Ketmar, I think mapping might be a good excercise for you!

ah, technically i can map. but i have no inventive skills. like, at all. i'm ok with it, creating something new is just the thing i cannot do, but there are alot of existing things i can improve, so i'm not complaining. anyway, i was simply trying to express my feelings about the project, not about my ability or inability to map. but thank you for encouragement. ;-)

p.s.: i also really love E1, so this project is exactly the thing i'd like to play.

7 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

But yeah it seems a lot of projects are either only made for PrBoom+ or GZDoom, it'd be nice to foster more variety in mapping projects.

What a strange thing to say. I've never seen a map that was made for PrBoom+. I'm not sure it's even possible to make a map that only runs on PrBoom+, did the port even introduce any editing features?

Most maps tend to be either Boom compatible (plays on every sourceport*) or GZDoom compatible (plays only on one sourceport). More variety is good I support this threa and its goals I think I'm just on a mission to spread the word that Boom is an editing standard supported by all serious ports, it is not itself a port that people map for even if you wrap it in Pr and +

*Except chocolate crispy and doomsday

Actually I'm reading that and totally realize I put my foot in my mouth. I agreed that I was mispoken.

But I'm not really trying to derail the thread, the objective is to hopefully garner some community engagement in a lesser used source port.

17 hours ago, CeeJay said:

I like the texture usage and the room-over-room areas were interesting. Personally not a huge fan of slaughter maps though. The music track for E1M3 gave me a headache, what the hell is that noise? It sounds drunk. Shame, because I really dig the one for E1M1.

Glad you tried it out, the slaughter map may be made into a secret map depending on what maps are actually submitted to the project. It's sort of the odd ball of the set as of now. Also, based on your advice and Doomkid's I swapped the music from E1M3 to something less jarring.

I'm currently working on my map for this project. :)

Mind if I have a slot? Edge was the engine that got me into modding/map making back in the day, so I'd love to contribute. Currently using e1m6 but it could be anywhere besides maybe the first or boss level.

I'm about 50% done with layout and gameplay. Check out the screenshots and let me know what you think of what I've got so far. Thanks!

shot11-s.png.1aab1152e12959a2b6b6b05fb96bd303.pngshot08-s.png.fdc4bd0912648b27508b4bad9640bcf0.pngshot03-s.png.91398a293bca8e2b7cfbbbb5b345c204.pngshot12-s.png.2ab844b637e0887021c20a74323e816d.png

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, compy286 said:

Mind if I have a slot? Edge was the engine that got me into modding/map making back in the day, so I'd love to contribute. Currently using e1m6 but it could be anywhere besides maybe the first or boss level.

I'm about 50% done with layout and gameplay. Check out the screenshots and let me know what you think of what I've got so far. Thanks!

Absolutely! Welcome aboard!

The screenshots for what you have so far look absolutely beautiful!

I'll put you in for E1M6! I look forward to playing the final product!

Thanks!

Also, I'm thinking that the map positions for maps may be changed around a bit when the slots are filled just to hopefully make a more gradual difficulty curve for the wad.

This looks interesting...  I usually map for GZDoom, but I would like to give it a shot. 

4 hours ago, Kloki38 said:

This looks interesting...  I usually map for GZDoom, but I would like to give it a shot. 

That's awesome!

Welcome aboard, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Thanks

Screenshots are looking very cool so far; I can’t wait to try the completed product! Also had some fun with the first demo so my hopes are high!

On a side note, it’s definitely motivating for me to see community-based projects developed specifically for EDGE. Hopefully if all goes well this can become a slightly more normalized trend in the future! 💯 

Posted (edited)

That's my hope as well!

I like to think of this as well, a precipice, or a tipping point towards more projects geared with 3DGE in mind in the future.

Thanks for the kind words!

Also, if I'd like to remind any mappers out there that 3DGE supports vanilla maps, limit removing maps, boom maps, udmf maps (GRANTED this doesn't support all GZDOOM features). So if people have a preference of mapping in any one of these areas, 3DGE will support it! 

Edited by MidnightMage : Clarity

On 4/22/2021 at 11:08 PM, MidnightMage said:

That's awesome!

Welcome aboard, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Thanks

Thanks ! I have already started. It shouldn't take too long.

I have a question though: is jumping/crouching allowed ?

Here is a couple of screenshots of what I have done so far:

shot03.png

shot04.png

shot05.png

As for crouching or jumping, I wouldn't make it mandatory but I'm not opposed to having not critical segments that are only accessible as such.

The screenshots of your map look awesome! Great work there, I'm interested to try it out!

Posted (edited)

Just an update on my progress. I've got the layout more or less finished, still need to detail the most northern parts of the map and then balance gameplay. I started using some Edge features that you can see in some of the screenshots. Translucent Liquid Extrafloors, as well as regular extrafloors for bridges and detailing, some scrolling to simulate nukage flow & falls.

Next I'll delve into using RTS & DDF to create some more dynamic elements, but I'm not quite there yet.

Spoiler

2021427-sMapLayout.png.af7fdb921cb38c92929bc99f3aa3ca61.pngshot2021427-s1.png.f85a1d3b8146b80b9be22166d3b368f3.pngshot2021427-s4.png.4e4f12c2e9a0f754da96bd05e7b331f8.pngshot2021427-s3.png.4ab40ea99e7350b0f9c36933213b12a8.pngshot2021427-s2.png.8eba66e735d3358fa71f49726fc60b90.pngshot2021427-s6.png.f8c509214c90cdf56f3581d29291d5ff.pngshot2021427-s5.png.03812929956aa910aae8ddd8b00b3c17.pngshot2021427-s7.png.bb77ad23218a0a39b77c26bd4bda67b5.png

Posted (edited)

Wow! Honestly you're mapping is putting me to shame!

That looks absolutely amazing! I am looking forward to playing through it!

Also, as a side note I've been doing a fairly extensive overhaul of segments of E1M3. This should definitely feel like a more unique map in the set now.

Edited by MidnightMage

Thanks for the feedback!

5 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

Also, as a side note I've been doing a fairly extensive overhaul of segments of E1M3. This should definitely feel like a more unique map in the set now.

I think E1M3 is my favorite of the maps in your current build. Let me know if you want me to test or provide feedback!

Posted (edited)

I'm still currently improving my own map roster. I will update the original post with the newer versions sometime likely later next week once I've implemented some more sizeable changes. I would love to get some general feedback on balancing and things I may have overlooked during the mapping process.

How's everybody elses maps going?

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone, I've done some minor rework on my maps. Mostly cosmetic but with some additional monster closets and ambushes added for good measure. I'm hoping that interest hasn't been completely abandoned in this project just yet. Feedback is always appreciated.

Anyways, the revised version 2 of the Precipice maps can be downloaded in the OP.