Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MidnightMage

The Precipice (an 3DGE Project) on Idgames!

I've updated the OP with the current map list. There's also another opening in Episode 1 as well. So far I've completed the first 2 maps of episode 2 (E2M1,E2M2) and Obake has completed the finale map E2M8. Let me know whatever spot you want.

So I've really lost mapping momentum as I'm not attracting many mappers, I'm going to keep this as a single episode. I had grand intentions for the Crucible but I think I'd sooner have one polished completed episode a la "the Precipice."

I'll move Obake's map to E1M9 and replace mine that is currently in that map slot.

If @compy286 would like to build a 2nd map there is still one available spot. I'm going to add my custom DDF enemies to this set and add them through out my maps.

I'll update the current build at some point later tonight.

If anyone else would like to map then let me know.

You can always come back to it some other time and do episode 2. Just look at Star wars 😉

Looking forward to episode 1.

OP has been updated with the latest build. Lots of extra visual flare, I decided to apply a tweaked custom texture set I tend to use in my general mapping. It's not overly intrusive. Also, a few added sound effects and a couple very dangerous DDF enemies have been added to the mix. I'm still looking to fill a vacant map slot too so if anybody wants to contribute, I'd love to welcome you aboard! Enjoy! 

8 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

So I've really lost mapping momentum as I'm not attracting many mappers, I'm going to keep this as a single episode. I had grand intentions for the Crucible but I think I'd sooner have one polished completed episode a la "the Precipice."

it's slightly sad, because i selfishly hoped for more ;-). so i secretly hope that you will get more inspiration in the future, and there will be E2. ;-)

thank you for starting the project, and for not letting it die. i guess it's quite hard to do the work for the whole community almost single-handedly, but i think that the result is totally worth it! ;-)

@MidnightMage I'll take e1m5 as well. I think it's a good idea to cap this off at 1 episode for now. You don't want to get burned out, and we can always take on a second episode as a separate effort.

Even though it's a shift from the original goal I'm down for including some new textures and custom effects & enemies. We can spend the extra time we would have spent making other levels on polishing and refining gameplay and playtesting.

@compy286

Did you want to add some custom DDF things to the set? If so can you upload them to the existing Precipice download and send them my way.

I'm not sure if @Kloki38is still mapping for this or not, so I may start another map just in case he is unable to meet the deadline.

@obake

I wasn't sure if you wanted to make a 2nd map or not but if you're interested there may be a free map slot.

The latest download link contains some new textures, sprites, minor map changes, and some added enemies.

Any playtests would be appreciated!

Long time no see, I'm bumping this thread to post a major update including several new maps and plenty of added polish to existing maps.

There is still one vacant spot but it is currently being worked on and will be included on the next build. 

See the OP for the latest build. Have fun!

Might be a stupid question (I really don't know) but what would happen if you ran this with GZDoom? Would it not run and/or cause my laptop to self destruct and kill my neighbor's dog? :o)

I am totally 3DGE illiterate.

11 minutes ago, Korozive said:

but what would happen if you ran this with GZDoom?

you will miss gameplay features. the maps should mostly stay playable, but you will miss most of the fun and "spice". try it in EDGE, really, it's not hard to setup and run, and you will fully enjoy the wad. ;-)

Hey @obake, this actually isn't the completed version just yet ;)

I'm ironing out some issues and will hopefully upload later next week with the final draft.

All map slots are filled but it's just in revisions now.

@Korozive If you were to run this with GZDoom a lot of stuff will not function  properly, or would be missing.

It's only compatible with the latest devbuild of EDGE.

Just to reaffirm, most of the features that are shown in this map pack can be done in GZDoom, but EDGE does everything a little differently. This is my first attempt at using DDF as opposed to DECORATE so it was a slight learning curve trying to add new things and to make things work properly.

This was a fun project because I got to learn many nuances of EDGE mapping. I really enjoyed making this and I hope people enjoy playing it as well.

Edited by MidnightMage

Ok, here's another sizeable update to the project. Not quite completed but very close to the end goal. I realize the cutoff was August 1st but, since it's mostly my maps I've been aiming to try to correct as many issues as I can prior to posting this to idgames. An important fact with this project is that it requires at least EDGE 2.1 to function properly and to render visual effects properly.

Jumping currently breaks progression in some maps. I'm hoping to have the final-final draft done up by September and posted to idgames. Thank you to anyone and everyone that has contributed, encouraged, offered feedback and or has assisted in bringing this project to life.

I'll routinely be updating this with improved versions until September. See OP for up to date current build.

Alright, so I think this may be finished. Any testing and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The most recent build is posted in the OP. As far as I can tell it's good to go.

I'll update to idgames shortly if I don't hear anything.

I realize it's upload is way overdue but it definitely hasn't been forgotten.