Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

What Doom editors do you use? (Updated version)

What Doom editors do you use? (Updated version)  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What Doom editors do you use? You can pick multiple editors!

I'm not a mapper, but, whenever I want to change some gameplay I create a dehacked with whacked and put it in a wad with slade.

9 hours ago, NeilJohnRips said:

That's interesting. I tried installing UDB via wine but couldn't get it to install. What did you do to get it to work? Do you find it sometimes freezes when you go into 3D view?

I've compiled mine from source but it does have niggly bugs though.

Well, Wine-Staging, I should specify.  I think I'm on 6.5 (mouse didn't work for me in 3d mode in 6.6), but I've been using it since the 5.x series.  When I did it I:

• Made a new prefix just for UDB.
  • Used winetricks to install .net 4.5 64-bit.  The 64-bit version is funky to install iirc, but you could always use the 32-bit version of UDB, too.
  • Did not install DXVK (GZDB would crash with it, but this shouldn't matter with UDB since it's OpenGL now)
  • Set my Windows version to either XP or Windows 7?  It has to be set to XP for .net 4.5 to install, but winetricks handles this for you.

This runs a bit slower than running UDB natively with Mono, but it's more stable, and it seems to respect my screen's DPI better - important since I have a 4K screen.

Also keep in mind that I compile Wine from source :-P  If the above doesn't work, then maybe I'm doing something there that I'm not realizing.  Also, compiling UDB from source using Mono does not give me an executable that works with Wine for some reason.

I had been using Doom Builder 2, and XWE, but recently made the change to UDB and Slade.  Watching Bridge got me really curious about more advanced things like UDMF, and I've been learning and experimenting with those lately.

UDB for making maps, slade3 for lump managing, whacked4 for making dehacked patches and DeHackEd for patching them.

35 minutes ago, N1ck said:

I just wanna know who's still using WadAuthor?

Don't worry there's probably some person out there that still uses it, there's totally still someone who uses it

I'm not surprised to see Slade3, UDB and WhackEd being the 3 most commonly used tools these days. With just these 3, you can create whatever custom Doom content your heart desires, and they are all more streamlined/user friendly than the various tools they usurped.

1 hour ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Well, Wine-Staging, I should specify.  I think I'm on 6.5 (mouse didn't work for me in 3d mode in 6.6), but I've been using it since the 5.x series.  When I did it I:

• Made a new prefix just for UDB.
  • Used winetricks to install .net 4.5 64-bit.  The 64-bit version is funky to install iirc, but you could always use the 32-bit version of UDB, too.
  • Did not install DXVK (GZDB would crash with it, but this shouldn't matter with UDB since it's OpenGL now)
  • Set my Windows version to either XP or Windows 7?  It has to be set to XP for .net 4.5 to install, but winetricks handles this for you.

This runs a bit slower than running UDB natively with Mono, but it's more stable, and it seems to respect my screen's DPI better - important since I have a 4K screen.

Also keep in mind that I compile Wine from source :-P  If the above doesn't work, then maybe I'm doing something there that I'm not realizing.  Also, compiling UDB from source using Mono does not give me an executable that works with Wine for some reason.

Sweet. Thanks for that Remilia. When I get chance I might have to give that a go. See if works better for me.

UDB since it works with (AFAIK) literally everything.

Slade-3 cause yay for easy to understand .WAD editor.

WhackEd 4 is seriously a brilliant DeHackEd tool for many purposes. Hopefully Hexen and strife support will be a thing with it (if that's possible).

On 4/19/2021 at 12:27 PM, Major Arlene said:

A lot, apparently.

Arch tool and visual sloping, as well as sloping mode, were all implemented after switching over to the UDB fork. UDB is also being maintained, GZDoom Builder is not. Boris stays hard at work adding new features, as well as qol improvements. definitely recommend staying with UDB if GZDoom builder is what you're used to.

Visual sloping isn't the same as previewing the slopes in 3D mode without having to test the game? (because gzdb already has it) Or is it something new?

15 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Visual sloping isn't the same as previewing the slopes in 3D mode without having to test the game? (because gzdb already has it) Or is it something new?

It's something new:

https://streamable.com/jaqk3j

https://streamable.com/y7bmep

@Bridgeburner56 also made a nice tutorial for it:

Some other new stuff that UDB has over GZDB-BF:

• UDB can now be built natively on Linux. Running it successfully is another story
  • Converted UDB to use double precision floating point numbers instead of single precision floating point numbers
  • Added method to export selected sectors as an image, with optionally creating a brightmap, so it can be used as an texture
  • Improved OBJ exporter to create models that can be directly used in GZDoom without cleanup. Will also create MODELDEF and DECORATE/ZScript code
  • Improved associations (event lines) to show the action of the between the tagged objects
  • Partial support for DECALDEF
  • The different geometry drawing modes now work with a transformed grid
  • Plenty of smaller fixes and improvements

Primarily I use Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, and NotePad++. For text lump editing the latter has some quality of life benefits over Slade that are well worth loading an additional program. And then WhackEd for the occasional Dehacked patch.

I started mapping with DEU, but didn't get very far. Then it was DB2 many years later, and then every iteration of GZDB up to UDB.

Aside from running faster on my laptop, UDB's recent additions such as visual sloping, enhanced OBJ export, and the 3D Floor Mode have been absolutely crucial in helping me realize some of the levels I've built recently. I firmly believe we've only just started scratching the service of the types of maps that can be made using them. 

DEU, the dos version of BSP, DM2CONV, and CLED from the boom editing utils, back in the 90s and early 2000's.  Now I just use Eureka.

Ultimate Doom Builder or Doom Builder X for the maps, Slade3 for editing wad lumps  and on my laptop... SlumpEd! Yeah, sounds crazy but is the only editor that kinda works on my laptop...

For other miscellaneous works i use Whacked and a little bit of dos Dehacked for exe editing, EMUS and WadCat for compiling different wads in one and for some small graphic work i use PixelPainter and ice I've used WAD Painter that is a pretty neat little program...