Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jacek Bourne

Favorite Slaughter and Non-Slaughter Map/Mapset

What is your favorite slaughtermap or mapset and what is your favorite non-slaughter map or mapset. It’s as simple as that. I hope this doesn’t devolve into hell.

my favorite slaughtermap would have to either be dark dome (map26) from alien vendetta or necropolis (map28) from going down

no idea what my favorite non-slaughtermap is tho, that's too hard of a choice

I’m no fan of slaughter, so I won’t name a map set, but I will give a nod to Bastion of Chaos, as Bridgeburner put a lot of time into making the low difficulties accessible, and it’s an unashamed GZDoom map with epic views and a great soundtrack.

As for non-slaughter... Favourite individual map is probably ZDCMP2... or 1, they’re both awesome. Favourite set (and I’m thinking maps here, ignoring ones where built-in gameplay mods and whatnot elevate to tip the thing into greatness) is probably something like Mini-Level MegaWAD or Khorus’ Speedy Shit, as they’re  whole megaWADs built to be digestible, which is fantastic for me as a fan of finishing things. There’s a few DBPs in for contention, of course, like 17, 19, 23, 24 and 26.

Favourite non-slaughter set: No End In Sight

Favourite non-slaughter map: NEIS E4M6

Favourite slaughter set: ... huh, I don't actually have an answer for this. I should probably try more slaughter wads...

Favourite slaughter map: Alien Vendetta MAP26

7 minutes ago, Omniarch said:

Favourite non-slaughter set: No End In Sight

Favourite non-slaughter map: NEIS E4M6

Favourite slaughter set: ... huh, I don't actually have an answer for this. I should probably try more slaughter wads...

Favourite slaughter map: Alien Vendetta MAP26

Sunlust coop when? :D

2 minutes ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Sunlust coop when? :D

Sunlust has coop? The more you know...

Sunlust is not a slaughterWAD!

Favorite slaughter mapset has been Sunder, without a doubt.

Favorite non-slaughter map...? There's a lot of favorites I have...mainly a few selections from Sunlust, Valiant, Stardate 20x7, Going Down... I enjoy setpiece-oriented combat.

Whether they are slaughter or not all depends on how much people want to classify them as such. :S

3 minutes ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

Sunlust is not a slaughterWAD!

i mean, the last few maps definitely are

Just now, roadworx said:

i mean, the last few maps definitely are

Yeah, I personally believe a slaughterWAD is something like Sunder where the combat throughout is primarily slaughter-based. Sunlust has a mix of slaughtermaps and small-scale challenges, but for the most part being small and setpiece-oriented - it's rare you'll see an encounter in the earlier maps with more than 20 enemies in it.

Not a fan of when people immediately classify Sunlust as a slaughterWAD when only a select number of maps (18, 24, 25, 28, 30) are slaughter-oriented, or if it's just hard in general.

Slaughter Mapset: Sunder

Non Slaughter Mapset: Scythe 2

5 minutes ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

Yeah, I personally believe a slaughterWAD is something like Sunder where the combat throughout is primarily slaughter-based. Sunlust has a mix of slaughtermaps and small-scale challenges, but for the most part being small and setpiece-oriented - it's rare you'll see an encounter in the earlier maps with more than 20 enemies in it.

Not a fan of when people immediately classify Sunlust as a slaughterWAD when only a select number of maps (18, 24, 25, 28, 30) are slaughter-oriented, or if it's just hard in general.

If you want to start a thread on the definition of slaughter I will be participating.

10 minutes ago, Jacek Bourne said:

If you want to start a thread on the definition of slaughter I will be participating.

There have been countless discussions on the definition of slaughter over the past few years. They usually aren't productive and devolve into salt and bickering. People who have been around DW for longer than a few months are really tired of them. So that thread will be immediately locked. Bumping old ones isn't okay either, nor is using this thread as a venue.  

Would recommend the Controversial Opinions thread as an alternative to air thoughts on the subject. 

Just now, rd. said:

There have been countless discussions on the definition of slaughter over the past few years. They usually aren't productive and devolve into salt and bickering. People who have been around DW for longer than a few months are really tired of them. So that thread will be immediately locked. Bumping old ones isn't okay either, nor is using this thread as a venue.  

Would recommend the Controversial Opinions thread as an alternative to air thoughts on the subject. 

Understandable.

Favorite slaughtermap(s): probably map 07 and 15 of sunder, map25 of alien vendetta or map16 from sunlust (don't know if this one goes here but it gets slaughtery by the end).

Favorite nonslaughter map: most likely hell ground map04, sunlust map31 or alien vendetta map10

Favorite slaughterwad: Sunder, though I've been playing NoReason SpeedMaps 2 and even after playing only 5 maps I would put it really up there. Honorable mention Deus Vult 2 for getting me into slaughtermaps.

Favorite nonslaughterwad: HellGround or Sunlust. Honorable mention tnt revilution

I mostly gravitate towards slaughtery gameplay. It's one of the only things in Doom that can keep me engaged for long enough :). Keep in mind that I have a generally loose definition for it, though.

Favorite slaughtermaps:

-Sunlust maps 15, 32, 28, 29

-Sunder maps 01, 02, 07, 08, 11, 14 (haven't tried the new maps yet)

-Ancient Aliens maps 15, 28, 29

-Scythe maps 24, 26, 30

-NoReason's Speedmaps 2 maps 03, 30 (need to play more of this :P)

Favorite ""normal"" maps lol:

-Most from Scythe

-A handful from BTSX (haven't played past 15)

-Most from Sunlust, a few notable ones being 06, 07, 12, 21

-Most from Valiant, notable ones are 03, 05, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 (haven't played past 18)

-A few from Ancient Aliens

Edited by Starduster

Favourite Slaughtermap:
Sunder Map 17 - Archives of the Technomancer

Favourite non-slaughtermap:

I... don't even know. Possibly something from Ancient Aliens or Eviternity.

EDIT: Actually, it might be Eviternity Map 15.

EDIT EDIT: Or maybe Eviternity Map 32.

Or maybe Eviternity Map 27.

I’m just a sucker for whatever WOWs me first. I still think highly of the first custom wad I ever played, solely because it has the distinction. In a similar vein, the first true-blue slaughter wad I ever played was Drown in Blood (dib28b.wad) back in 2004-2005ish and it’s still my favourite to date simply due to familiarity. It’s been outdone in most regards from a strictly technical perspective, but it just has this freeform feel to it that I love in Doom wads. Picking one specific favorite map wouldn’t be possible for me, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Favorite non-slaughter? Pretty much can’t pick just one. There’s like 30-50 maps at least that I hold in super high regard for one reason or another and quantifying them is just beyond my ability at this point. 

2 hours ago, rd. said:

There have been countless discussions on the definition of slaughter over the past few years. They usually aren't productive and devolve into salt and bickering. People who have been around DW for longer than a few months are really tired of them. So that thread will be immediately locked

nothing will ever hold up to the great Slaughter Wars of 2017.  i would say many lives were lost but that wasn't the case. it was mostly time and a bit of dignity.

Scythe Map 26. It doesn't break my balls too much and I love the midi. 

Non slaughter mapset: TNT Evilution, I has rather cool maps

non-slaughter, Khorus Speedy Shit.  fun-sized maps with a bit of bite on occasion. 

slaughter, Abandon.  100% unapologetic hopelessness.

Favorite non-slaughter: Right now I'll have to say Heartland since it is the most recent thing I can recall that kept me engaged throughout.

Favorite slaughter: Since it's one of the few true slaughter WADs I've played and the best of them (and even though I have only completed the first 3 maps legitimately, lol) Sunder.

Favourite non slaughter - probably Heartland at present. It's definitely challenging but there is great structure to the fights.

Favourite slaughter - as they bore me to tears, I am going to say "not applicable".

On 4/19/2021 at 6:45 PM, rd. said:

There have been countless discussions on the definition of slaughter over the past few years. They usually aren't productive and devolve into salt and bickering.

My personal definition (which is not the same as an actual definition used widely, and so does NOT fall into the trap of starting this kind of discussion!!!) is that the playable area is congested with monsters to the extent that you have to be aware of space, and you can kill monsters quickly. Ergo, slowly killing 1000 monsters isn't slaughter, but quickly killing ten monsters in a tiny room can be.

One reason this definition would not be widely accepted is it would retroactively/anachronistically class some very old maps as slaughter, and would class several popular hard wads as not slaughter despite people generally calling them that.

Degrassi by ToD, a prime example of a good slaughter map

The Given by dobu, a prime example of a good non-slaughter map