Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

Widescreen Assets Pack and Appreciation Thread

New Unity port add-on, new widescreen assets. I decided to make some widescreen versions of the screens from the original /idgames release of TVR!

Revolution!

Spoiler

TITLEPIC (by me)

TITLEPIC.png.1a7e248358e4c4038e2ff5662f900b45.png

BOSSBACK (by me)

BOSSBACK.png.3312a2353280a83d220bb8935b0e8e2b.png

INTERPIC (from Unity Port)

INTERPIC.png.9c723dc9740a031f0e05ba80e2fd7d07.png

Edited by dotQLL

On 8/24/2022 at 8:47 AM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Here's both the TITLEPIC and PFUB2 graphics from NEWDOOM.WAD

TITLEPIC.pngPFUB2.png

Thanks for this one, 'New Doom' was one of the things I wrote a patch for, since it comes with Maximum Doom and is a sort-of 'classic megawad'. The small tiny changes to the graphics resulted in black bars and it was more jarring than usual

speaking of classic megawads, how about the NJ 'trilogy'? (NJ Doom, NJ Doom 2, and NJ ZDoom)

STBAR for 180 Minutes Pour Vivre (because MtPain27):

180mpv_Wide.png.8b73135487667495b897cce7684652b3.png

180mpv_STBAR_Wide.zip

Also, PSX Doom:

STBAR_PSX_Wide.png.46d5a1c57e8fc2abc39231cfa5176983.png

STBAR_Vanilla+PSX_Necked&Wide.zip

This one is based on the STBAR from the PS Doom TC + PSXDoom.wad by KippyKip. 

Also also, I did the "Doomguy with neck" sprite thing for the PSX one as well, based on the Playstation cover art. It's included in the WAD above. It looks sorta neat I promise.

Spoiler

Vanilla_PSX_Doom_Standard_2.png.b58bd0e1599887110ee0b92438bd5991.png

Vanilla_PSX_Doom_Standard.png.6613070477cee164a51188e2f8133b19.png

Edited by Mike Stu

I like it how we have all these meme wads widescreened, yet poor old Hell Revealed still hasn't been done :p

Also @Wadmodder Shalton, your New Doom edits have gotten me to work further on this.

unknown.png

Edited by Devalaous

Here's the TITLEPIC & BOSSBACK graphics from Herian 1 & 2 Widescreened.

Herian_TITLEPIC.pngHerian_BOSSBACK.pngHerian_2_TITLEPIC.pngHerian_2_BOSSBACK.png

I'm going to leave the INTERPIC graphics from both for someone else to do, as I can't figure out the use of the Hexen ice texture (either W_129 or F_033) that the original Herian author used for the INTERPIC graphics.

On 7/7/2022 at 1:21 AM, Kinsie said:

I briefly looked at the Obituary titlescreen and decided that it'll take someone with actual artistic abilities to extend that. That or cheap borders, which'd be a bit of a cop-out.

I wonder if those mountains from Obituary's TITLEPIC used a MediaClips CD-ROM stock image of whatever mountain was present in any of its releases.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:37 AM, Devalaous said:

I like it how we have all these meme wads widescreened, yet poor old Hell Revealed still hasn't been done :p

You mean titlepic, bossback and such? If you're referring to the status bar, there is actually a pretty good one in NightFright's WS pack already.

STBAR.png.9001a4c673f8314bce2b4c7729129fce.png

hellrev_uwide.zip

I think I could WS the other assets well enough with some patience/time...

On a side note, I don't supose we have these WS assets listed in a spreadsheet ya? It'd be nice to streamline the process of looking for them - between the 10 pages in this topic and NightFright's ZDoom thread, feel like people are inevitably going to work on stuff that's been done already.

Edited by Mike Stu

Does anybody know if there was any attempt to make Curse of D'Sparil's custom bar widescreen?

On jeudi 1 septembre 2022 at 2:53 AM, Mike Stu said:

On a side note, I don't supose we have these WS assets listed in a spreadsheet ya? It'd be nice to streamline the process of looking for them - between the 10 pages in this topic and NightFright's ZDoom thread, feel like people are inevitably going to work on stuff that's been done already.

It could make sense to start a GitHub project to store everything.

24 minutes ago, Mike Stu said:

Yea, that's NightFright's (massive) project, which is strictly focused on STBARs. It would make sense to merge everything but idk, that's kinda his own thing at this point.

Yeah, but it can be used as a starting point, forked and then modified by anyone that wants to compile "full" widescreen assets.

Here's another set of single PWADs with modified versions of Doom II's TITLEPIC now in widescreen.

Atari Hell

ATARI_TITLEPIC.png

The Final Geometry

GEOMETRY_TITLEPIC.png

Polygon Base

POLYGON_TITLEPIC.png

I'll appreciate someone else to fix the Cyberdemon arm on the right side of both the Final Geometry and Polygon Base ones.

@Dragonfly that got me thinking... The next time we add some new assets to this thread, let's capture the process of making the asset on the video so that more people could get a hang of how the process looks like. It would be great to understand all the tricks that people use to create more complicated ones.

How would I trim some of these down to 16:9 for the unity port? I'd rather not be at the mercy of others whims for these.

Look at the width of the Unity widescreen art, it'll be either 426 (slightly too narrow to fully cover 16:9) or 428 (slightly too wide), because the 16:9 width that corresponds to a 4:3 width of 320 is 426.66666666... (Very simple maths: 4:3 is the same as 12:9. So divide 320 by 12, then multiply it by 16. To preserve the center position, you'll want to round up or down to the next even number, so an odd number like 427 is not desirable.)

Crop your image to a 426x200 (or 428x200, as appropriate) canvas, centered. Tada! It's now a Unity-friendly dimension.

1 minute ago, Gez said:

Look at the width of the Unity widescreen art, it'll be either 426 (slightly too narrow to fully cover 16:9) or 428 (slightly too wide), because the 16:9 width that corresponds to a 4:3 width of 320 is 426.66666666... (Very simple maths: 4:3 is the same as 12:9. So divide 320 by 12, then multiply it by 16. To preserve the center position, you'll want to round up or down to the next even number, so an odd number like 427 is not desirable.)

Crop your image to a 426x200 (or 428x200, as appropriate) canvas, centered. Tada! It's now a Unity-friendly dimension.

About 426 vs 428... It matters when using source ports that support both original and double resolutions. For example if you run crispy doom in hires you'd want 426x200, otherwise it will render first and last columns of pixels outside of screen space. If however you run it in original resolution, you'd want 428x200 or else most left and most right pixel columns will render as green tiles texture.

On 9/9/2022 at 3:24 AM, Gez said:

Yeah, Unity versions are 426x200, the widescreen stuff im trying to pare down is 560x200. Slade's crop feature is...kinda confusing.

p.png

I need to center it, but its not very intuitive.

(560-426)/2=67

560-67=493

So set "left" to 67 and "right" to 493; leave top to 0 and bottom to 200. That should give you a centered 426x200 picture.

p.png

That's much better! Thanks.

EDIT: And naturally the Unity port is STILL scrolling these off the screen.

EDIT2:

unknown.png

Got it! The offsets were at -67 and needed to be reset to 0

Edited by Devalaous

DWANGO7's STBAR in Widescreen.

DWANGO7_STBAR.png

Since it's a modification of that common Metal STBAR graphic that was used in a couple of mid to late 1990s Doom PWADs, I reused the same Widescreen STBAR edit of the All Hell is Breaking Loose STBAR as a base.

On 8/30/2022 at 9:37 PM, Devalaous said:

Well Hell Revealed's WAD file includes a high res alternate version of the TITLEPIC under the title HRLOGO in PCX format, so maybe it's possible to merge elements from both TITLEPIC and HRLOGO?

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

All the widescreen graphics are now working in the Unity port!

Edited by Devalaous