Find results that contain...
Find results in...
El Inferno

Warehouse processing - a single map

Saves: 0

Deaths: 5 or 6 I forgot to count

Kills: 100%

Port: Prboom Plus

Visuals: I love the brown. The details throughout the map look really nice and the textures compliment each other well. I'm not really one to critique visuals, but they made me happy, so good job!

Combat: Generally the fights are done pretty well, but the cyberdemon and archvile fights could've been a little more interesting. The biggest threat in this map for me were the barons in that tight space and the hell knights after the platforming. I really liked the baron ambush. I probably would've put arachnatrons in that platforming room to shoot at you while you're platforming to make it a little more intense, but that might not have been what you were going for. The cyberdemon was very easy. There was really no threat during the fight and the amount of plasma you get in that room makes it pretty comfortable. The archviles at the end were really easy too. It feels like they could've been any other enemy and the map wouldn't be any different because of it. They were a pretty fun surprise though until you notice that they can't move and you have enough rockets and plasma. They did hit me a few times, but I was playing sloppy because I knew I could take it.

Demo: nukagefacilitydemo.zip

Overall, this is a good map. It entertained me for the 30 or so minutes I took on it even during the platforming section. It definitely could've used a few secrets and there are a lot of opportunities for them with the way the map is set up.

That platforming is nasty dude. I like it ;)

Pretty fun for a first wad. Much better than mine =x

My only real complaint was the lift near the start and the lift in the baron ambush hall don't really look like lifts. I assumed they were but I would suggest using a different texture for a lift.

What are the viles at the end for? To surprise the player if they try to push through past the cyb? Might be more interesting to use that vile wall and add pressure from behind. So the player has to constantly fight monster unless they want to be pushed back into the viles and then killed.

Standout part of the map for me was the hk ambush. I also liked the timed switch door puzzle.

Demo attached. Is not blind.

storage_refinery_cl9.zip

Thanks for feedback! 

43 minutes ago, Killer5 said:

Pretty fun for a first wad

That was a silly joke, this is not my first wad. I'm sorry for this confusion :) (now I'm actually feel bad for doing this)

This is my first casual tech-base map and I wanted to fill that "firstwad" gap in my progression.

The ending is a bit weak indeed, I'll redesign it later. 

Edited by El Inferno

1 hour ago, El Inferno said:

The ending is a bit weak indeed, I'll redesign it later. 

Can’t wait to see it. 👍

Pretty tense map with some mean combat encounters. The only one I thought was kinda bullshit was the twin Baron encounter in the tiny L-shape room. I also found the handful of Archies stuck in a line to be an odd choice since they were pretty easy to cheese. Besides that though, everything else was cool. Solid texture work, straightforward progression, gnarly combat. It's a good map, fam.

Gotta love that platforming :D

But overall a nice short map. The baron room is pretty BS, you have to run into it because of the small timeframe, you are low on ammo, so you are pretty much forced to fight them together in a tini-tiny room. Other than that the fights were quite easy. The Hell Knight ambush was tense, but I just plasmad my way through. The Painelemental ambush was nice. The cyberdemon... Maybe I was missing something, but only realized how to open the door after the fight waas done, so it was an easy one-on-one fight with plasma. But if the door was open, then he would have killed everyone... Dunno. The archies... Just why? Grab the rocketlauncher and peek a boo them from the corner. But if you were to be forced to fight them sraight on... That would be quite unfair.

So... I liked it, great job! (Yeah I said nothing about the texturing but it looks great! The theme is on point.)

Of all the OTEX maps I've seen, this certainly seems the most Darkening Episode 2-esque!

Warehouse processing

Ultra-violence || GZDoom || BeautifulDoom

Deaths → 0

Saves → none

Screenshot-Doom-20210421-190231.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210421-190352.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210421-190812.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210421-191557.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210421-191923.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210421-192000.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210421-192007.png

A map that is not that big, in fact it is considerably short, but despite that, its difficulty is really brutal, I do not say it so much because of seeing the kind of enemies that are in front of the Marine, but that there are parts that are certainly annoying because of the things they have and that harm the Marine himself. Before entering that part, I will say that visually, the map really looks very good, mainly because it has OTEX textures, and because it uses a class of structures in which they look interesting from an aerial angle, although other structures are really ugly because of how its architecture has been implemented, for example, the part of the platforms, and the part where the 2 Barons of hell appear, those are the worst areas that the map has. And now with the part of the difficulty and the fighting, well, the enemies to face are really annoying, because the vast majority are resistant enemies, there are almost no weak enemies, and that is really frustrating, adding to the fact that there is not much ammunition in some parts, and also to the toxic soils of some areas where there are no anti-radiation suits, all this makes the difficulty very hard, and takes away from how entertaining the map could be. It is a good map, it really is, but with the things that it has against it, it does not make it enjoy the same way as you would expect, but in the same way, great work on this map, mate.

Pretty good map, but if I've got one criticism:

In this thread, you call it both Warehouse Processing and Nukage Facility

The folder is titled Department Wastes

The file is Storage Refinery

The map name is Toxin Refueling

So, what's the correct name?

Visually speaking, it was a good idea to use a more muted tan. There are toon many maps that overload everything with bright tan, and thatm combined with the occsional use of a small green-spotted wall texture gave this map character. The use of the radiation pools and crates was in place. Cool music track roo.

Now for the combat. It's quite unforgiving and is such that the most skilled Doomers have a decent chance of dying once or twice. The room which you open with the times release switch containing the Barons was kind of BS. That was not fun. I just ended up escaping through the lift. The rest of the map was more bearable though, even though it became obvious I should probably leave some monsters alive in the red key room if I wanted to survive the 6 strong Revenant ambish Really, the last fight with the Cyberdemon comes off as an enjoyable breather after the claustrophobia of much of the map.

Edited by LadyMistDragon

7 hours ago, Sena said:

So, what's the correct name?

As I said in the desription, the map title is "Recycling Base"

Checked out the map and I gotta agree with everybody else - the combat was nice and planned out well, catching me a few times, such as the Hell Knight sandwich in the last area. I agree with Zzul (Killer5), too, how the Archies and RL situation could be spiced up. I also feel like there could be more detail on the floors and ceilings in a few rooms, but you seem to have a really solid grasp of the OTEX textures overall.

To my utter surprise, no one has complained about the platforming segment (I think), which was pretty fun and easy for me. Nothing wrong with a little skill-based platforming amongst Doom's luck-based combat. :P

You're on your way to making some great stuff! Keep on mapping!

On 4/21/2021 at 8:09 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

And I just started on Dunn & Dunn's Bloodbath..no matter this'll take hardly any time!

@LadyMistDragon How's that coming along? ;)

Pretty cool map, but I agree with the others that the ending was kind of "Wait, that's it?". I think changing the order the enemies appear should kind of fix it (Probably cyber first, then spawn the imps and pinkies with the archviles?). The platforming at the end and the hell knight trap were really nice.

8 hours ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

Checked out the map and I gotta agree with everybody else - the combat was nice and planned out well, catching me a few times, such as the Hell Knight sandwich in the last area. I agree with Zzul (Killer5), too, how the Archies and RL situation could be spiced up. I also feel like there could be more detail on the floors and ceilings in a few rooms, but you seem to have a really solid grasp of the OTEX textures overall.

To my utter surprise, no one has complained about the platforming segment (I think), which was pretty fun and easy for me. Nothing wrong with a little skill-based platforming amongst Doom's luck-based combat. :P

You're on your way to making some great stuff! Keep on mapping!

@LadyMistDragon How's that coming along? ;)

That Pain Elemental in the first map that's near the stairs in the open area is giving me some surprising trouble. I'm sort of playing through some easier stuff as an appetizer (Stormwalker's Phobos Massacre for one, which I think gets better than DtwId EP1 toward the end).

2 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

That Pain Elemental in the first map that's near the stairs in the open area is giving me some surprising trouble. I'm sort of playing through some easier stuff as an appetizer (Stormwalker's Phobos Massacre for one, which I think gets better than DtwId EP1 toward the end).

Yeah, the first map adds a couple Pain Elementals on UV, so it can be a surprising opener if you aren't prepared. Don't be afraid to lower the difficulty, and good luck! :)

Playing easier and harder stuff at the same time is something I should probably do as well. :P

Minimalism, slaughterishness, platforming, Opeth! Ideal combination) Hardest part for me was pain elementals area, i hate these heads. Easiest - 4 AV at the end. Maybe it will be better if they move to player? No challenge at all. But i love clean design, nothing intricated, pure gameplay. Little bit sad that there is no secrets. Very good first map!

Thanks everyone for feedback and kind words! I'm actually surprised how much responses I've got here :) 

Since many of you noticed that the final 4 archviles were too easy to kill, I present you a new version of the map which spices up the end a bit! I also added a secret, which you will hopefully find! 

storage_refinery_extra.zip

On 4/25/2021 at 8:21 PM, neurocore said:

Very good first map!

I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but this is not my first map. That was just a silly joke... I've been mapping here for a about a year already, with this WIP wad being my most recent "serious" project.

Edited by El Inferno : fixed sky