Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

RAY MOHAWK 2 - Development Thread

On 10/22/2021 at 6:04 AM, DFF said:

Alright here's my final changes to map10 and 18. I added the suggestion of a teleport for the cacos on map10 which works great.
Maps 10 and 18

Wonderful! Both map10 map18 play great on UV!

Some thoughts about the maps 01 and 07:

- map 01 has three minor issues. First, the clean up of the final cliff area feels a bit tedious. I was longing for some way to climb the cliffs and make short work of all the monsters above. Second, the shotgun is placed a bit out the way. IMHO, a lift connecting the shotgun area and the building could be helpful. Third, the bay with two specters and a shell box is very far away from the stairs leading to the dry land. The second set of stairs would be nice.

- map 07 has too much ammo, especially cells. For a map with 176 enemies (mostly low tiers), even 200 cells feels a bit much. Map 07 has almost 400 cells! And a secret backpack, too! The backpack definitely feels out of place. I would replace it with a berserk, or maybe an area map (map 07 has non-linear design and some pretty well-hidden rooms, so an auto-map would be welcome). Also, I would greatly reduce the amount of cells provided. About 80-120 cells feel more fitting for the enemy count present.

@DGA, I watched your stream of the maps, it was really insightful as well as entertaining - thanks for playing them man!

@Azure_Horror, feedback duly noted and implemented as of now.

I've also incorporated all revised maps into the wad. As far as I'm aware, all that's left to address is the VPO crash on map 19 that @Noiser reported, and Noiser's map itself. (By the way man, thank you so much for doing those projectile glow/decal effects for me!)

We're standing right at the finish line.. it feels great to nearly be done with this project :)

31 minutes ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

@DGA is continuing the map playthrough right now on twitch.

Thanks, that will be helpful :-)

Edited by Noiser

Even though it's an older version of the map, I have not modified the final arena trigger in any way on map 10. I'm gonna have to fix that. Was hoping to not make a separate sector of 4 triggers but I suppose there's no reason not to.

Alright, @Doomkid if you don't mind I will just wait for DGA as he will play my map by tomorrow. Or I can post the new version right away if you want. I was able to fix the soft-lock issue on Zandronum so the map is fully completable on coop now!

Edited by Noiser

7 hours ago, Noiser said:

Alright, @Doomkid if you don't mind I will just wait for DGA as he will play my map by tomorrow. Or I can post the new version right away if you want. I was able to fix the soft-lock issue on Zandronum so the map is fully completable on coop now!

I think DGA is using an older build as the SSG is still using the old sprite, but it would be cool to see your map either way :)

Here's what will likely be the final version of MAP09: Temple del Sol. I changed a few things, nothing major unless you're playing on UV. Even on UV, the map should play mainly the same. I've just reduced the ammo count and added a couple boss monsters, but it's still quite a breezy map.

Changelog:

Spoiler
  • Reduced the amount of ammo on all difficulties, but UV received by far the sharpest ammo reduction. More details below, but the map should be plenty do-able regardless thanks to the amount of ammo you get from hitscanners.
  • Ultra-Violence only: Brought back the Spider Mastermind at the midsection of the map. I felt like it was more fun, and not all that difficult with the available powerups, just an extra surprise for UV players.
  • Ultra-Violence only: Added the Cyberdemon back into the last fight. I know boss monsters may have dragged this level out at MAP04, but at MAP09, I think the player will be OP enough that one UV cybie won't detract much. That last room was a little anti-climatic without it.
  • Fixed a HOM in the checkpoint teleporter room at the start of the map.
  • Caught a couple obvious slime trails in Chocolate which I've ironed out.
  • Fixed the texture on the back wall of the red teleporter (which takes you to the aforementioned checkpoint room).
  • Added a Chaingun at the start in Cooperative. @Doomkid, if you'd like to implement the Auto-shotgun/chaingun in Single-player, I've placed a MP only Auto-shottie near the backpack at the northwestern beach as well, just go ahead and turn their multiplayer flags off.

Ammo Removed:

• Bullets - 14 clips (on UV), 3 ammo boxes.
  • Shells - 35 6-shells (on UV), 1 shell box.
  • Cells - 7 cell charges, 1 bulk cell.

And what happens to Ray's sunglasses when he goes God mode anyway?

Hey, is there going to be a weapon patch for any of these fine monster mutilators? It'd be fun to beef up the vanilla gameplay every once in a while. Unless it's in Ray Mohawk 1. It's been awhile.

Hey peoples, just a small update - I’m planning to start the release thread in about 24 hours, all I’m hoping for in that time is Noiser’s map update and a fix for the VPO crash on map 19, which I’ll implement myself if I get no update before then. I’m so damn excited to get this out!

@Moustachio thank you for the update, and @xdude_gamer I definitely will be releasing the weapons on their own shortly after the project is done and dusted.

Alright, let's a go!

I'm bit exausted right now to make the changelog, but I can edit this post after I get some sleep 8D
In short - I improved the other difficulties, fixed a soft-lock that could happen on easy, fixed the coop soft-lock, improved a few things here and there etc

Hey, sorry I sort of fell off the face of the earth there. Haven't been keeping up with this project as much as I would've liked, didn't realize that our map was actually breaking! Here's a quick update, the VPO should be gone (changed the tutti-frutti door texture, as well). Thanks for spotting these, Noiser. 

map19_fixedVPO.zip

Thanks to all 3 of you for those updates! Looks like we’re about ready for launch.. just gotta do some last minute checks and we should be all set 😃

31 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Thanks to all 3 of you for those updates! Looks like we’re about ready for launch.. just gotta do some last minute checks and we should be all set 😃

Let's go!