Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

RAY MOHAWK 2 - Development Thread

On 7/2/2021 at 6:18 PM, Noiser said:

Here it is, I think it's good for now:

Title: Pier Pressure
Map slot: 15

I would appreciate any kind of feedback. I tested this map alone, which is why it took so long to post. Now that's finished I think I can contribute playing and testing the other maps as well, so If you want me to test your stuff let me know.

How do I win the blur-cyberdemon fight? It feels very RNG-dependent.

1 hour ago, Azure_Horror said:

I used either blaster or auto-shotgun, dodged its attacks and never got in a trouble with this guy

6 hours ago, Azure_Horror said:

[Don't open the spoiler ahead if you didn't played yet - it literally spoils the fight]

Spoiler

Adding to what SilverMiner said, the easiest way to avoid the balls is by moving backwards (don't strafe unless there's one coming in front of you). Then keep shooting with the Blaster to keep one of the cybers stunned. Once you kill the first, you can get closer and stun the second without much hassle. When you get out of bullets, keep shooting with the Auto-SSG.

5 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

I used either blaster or auto-shotgun, dodged its attacks and never got in a trouble with this guy

I manged to beat this fight, but I feel that I just got lucky with AI roulette. On my succesful attempt, the cybers fired rarely. But when the two cybers on UV decide to shoot at the same time, they can create borderline bullet-hell patterns. (Yeah, I am bad at bullet hells, I know.)

On top of that, the ammo usage feels inconsistent in this fight. On my lucky attempt I finished first cyber with blaster only and I had about 90 bullets to spare. On one of the more unfortunate tries I spent 225 bullets and 8 SSG shots (16 shells), and didn't manage to kill even the first cyber (despite focusing fire at him).

On 7/2/2021 at 6:18 PM, Noiser said:

Title: Pier Pressure
Map slot: 15

Feedback (played with GLBoom 2.5.1.4 -complevel 2, difficulty 4):

1) The final fight is my favourite fight of Ray Mohawk 2 (at least so far). It allows for multiple approaches and many different weapon choices, and uses unusual monster combinations. Mancubi horde as the main threat? Multiple spider-mastermind snipers? Treacherous incidental teleprorters? Revenants used as relatively low hp fodder for BFG? Complex layout? Yes, yes, yes, and yes, and again yes! The fight is simply amazing!

2) I feel that the first area needs more HP, given the fact that it is only the first dish of the three course meal. The huge amount of crossfire coupled with low hp total encourages overly cautious gameplay, and the beginning area becomes somewhat grindy. I think that the simplest solution would be to replace a medkit on the blue key boat with a supercharge. Other than that, the starting area is very good. I especially liked the cutscene with boat explosion.

3) I don't know how to leave the blue key pool without archvile jumps. Am I blind, or this is a bug?

Spoiler

The blue switch activated, the monsters slain. What now?

Ray15_blue_stuck.png.8989f473c116d5fab8f54a1954de4271.png

4) There is a softlock at the BFG sequence. You can jump out of the building before the door closes.

Spoiler

Cowardly skeletons! Let me in!

Ray15_door_stuck.png.91fcc556b7848dd80842dc218d99ffdd.png

2 hours ago, Azure_Horror said:

3) I don't know how to leave the blue key pool without archvile jumps. Am I blind, or this is a bug?

Oh shit that was a huge mistake of mine, due to a last minute change. You should be able to go down the lava pit (will fix it right now, just a minute)

[EDIT]
Alright, fixed both issues:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3nuemqevjoqx66/MAP15.rar?dl=1

Thanks a lot @Azure_Horror, I'm glad you liked the fights! I think a Soulsphere on the boat would be too much, but I will take your view into account and see how to improve it. I did the first area a bit harder with continuous runs in mind (and because I feel hot starts are less frustrating on saveless runs).

Edited by Noiser

49 minutes ago, Noiser said:

... I think a Soulsphere on the boat would be too much, but I will take your view into account and see how to improve it. I did the first area a bit hard with continuous runs in mind (and because I feel hot starts are less frustrating on saveless runs).

If replacing a medkit with a soulsphere would be too much, you can cut one aditional medkit somewhere else. Given the monsters present, 50 hp won't ruin anything.

Soulsphere would frontload some hp at the start of the first area. On pistol start this will allow for more aggressive play, which would reduce paranoid running in circles. (Running around is the safest play currently,  due to all the skeleton and spider turrets. But running around wastes time...)

And on continous... The previous map is the @sluggard's map. It has Super Small Extreme BFG-Cyberdemon Room of Total Destruction. There is a good chance that continuous mode players will come to map15 without much health, and maybe even without plasma. (The BFG-Cyberdemon Room of Map14 is so intense, that wasting plasma on failed BFG shots should be expected for the first time players.) Given such map14, frontloading HP at the first area of map15 is ok for continuous playthroughs.

Finally finished Map 12 - Beautiful Clean Coal. A city-turned-coalmine that's been destroyed by the constant heat! If only those bastards at the UAC had cared about the destruction their over-reliance on Nukage™ was causing.. Welp, now the mutants and hellspawn have taken over and it's time to clean up what's left!

Download: https://doomshack.org/uploads/mohawk2j.zip

Incidentally, this comes with a new beta, version 2j. As usual, I've included the latest version of every submission, to my knowledge. So glad with the progress made, only a few gaps left to fill in the map lineup! Here's some screenshots of my map, because why not:

RUA9Yak.png

h42SA9C.png

Vw6cuUz.png

Looking forward to any feedback or any suggestions!

Thanks for letting me know where you’re at fellas, no pressure. Just checking in! Even after all maps are submitted I’m sure there will be cleanup and numerous tweaks to be made. Hoping we can get this out in roughly 6 weeks time.

I could probably post the unfinished version of my map, It originally was completable but I'm planning to add a tad more stuff.

Edit: Some more stuff needs to be polished so heres some screenies instead :)

Spoiler

image.png.6a828f5f5336d93e52cc909678bc6350.pngimage.png.f65016dbf3f81397a98e9b1378283e87.pngimage.png.1547d29fab76bc50efe57fce4a138754.pngimage.png.98afa70641a64888a531d86b2db9385d.pngimage.png.2a1f6d73e0259698ed3d10cc46076b61.png

Edited by IggySqiggles

Just as these Imps have worked hard to get beach-ready, so have I mapped relentlessly trying to get my map done. I am posting the work-in-progress here now for some feedback (pretty please?) with regards to the ammo/health/monster balance and progression. File here for download.

A few rooms still need to be textured and I still have to get the map completely Chocolate Doom compatible, and fix some HOMs etc. So I don't need any feedback on that. Also the Blue Key Room fight will be changed. But over 95% of the map is the way it will be in the end and getting feedback on the balance and progression would be helpful at this stage.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210713_201402.png

doom15.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210712_121818.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210712_120551.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210712_121059.png

When Rudy2 was 70% complete, I recorded a play through of all the submitted maps. I’ll be doing that for Ray as well within the week!

EDIT: Opps it's been over a week and I didn't do this.. but I will dammit!

When I try to test my map in chocolate doom I get this error and i am really at my wits end now and do not know how to solve it.  This is the file path i used \chocolate-doom.exe -merge NHraymohawkV2.wad DOOM2.wad -deh  mohawk2h.deh

chockdoomerror.png

Now it says that flat AQF023 is missing. Is it a mistake on my part to use this flat? -e1 the command line is used here waschocolate-doom.exe -file NHraymohawkV2.wad -file mohawk2h.wad  -deh mohawk2h.deh -WARP 01

missing.png

Hmm, just put that flat in my map and tried to boot it and it worked fine.. Something else must be going on to cause that crash

Is there anyway to include extra flats? -e1 I mean I could remove it completely from my map but, well.... it is a beach texture i used quite a lot.

Well, i got it to boot but it just default to the frst map in the wad not the one i made, despite using the - warp MAP01 where MAP01 is the name (internal?) of the wad i made.

e1 - i made this post because of a spelling mistake in the command line i did not see, disregard. Still got the same error that it defaults to the first level in the wad not the one I made.

Are you merging your map into the wad using slade or something like that? Most people just make an external map, then load it with "-file mohawk2j.wad mymap.wad -deh mohawk2j.deh"

40 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Are you merging your map into the wad using slade or something like that? Most people just make an external map, then load it with "-file mohawk2j.wad mymap.wad -deh mohawk2j.deh"

No, not at all. I think it is the order of loading files i am struggling with and, what commands to use.

My map is ready for testing if anyone wants to have a go. Please record an lmp if you do. I used dbx visplane feture to count the the visplanes and max seems to be something like 125. I have currently no way of testing the map in vanila doom.

https://filebin.net/knvchs9siwlz999

1037575239_PrBoom-Plus2.5.1.42021-07-1918_17_22.png.8d8579a6810b6475d803df3f93b89a6d.png

18321418_PrBoom-Plus2.5.1.42021-07-1918_17_02.png.d2eb77ef7beefb892902546404056ad2.png

21379973807_PrBoom-Plus2.5.1.42021-07-1918_16_38.png.57e5e1bead8211f497732abec9922999.png

All your results look stunning!

Not on Doomworld that often, almost missed the chance to make a level for this!

Screenshot_Doom_20210720_095837.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210720_095956.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210720_095908.png

Quick question: I've been mapping and playing through the maps submitted so far under the assumption that the splash damage from weapon slot 6 does in fact hurt the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind. Is this correct? And how does that work with the flamethrower in slot 5? I guess splash damage is not a factor there right?

The Cell Cannon projectiles do hurt the Cyberdemon and Mastermind! It doesn't take too long to kill either of them using it. The flamethrower, despite being in slot 5, doesn't deal any splash damage - it's like a plasma rifle with a reduced range. (I thought about making it hurt the player up close, it makes sense after all.. but it was way too tedious)

Hey there fine mappers! I am thinking of doing an informal testing playthrough just like Doomkid. Probably using DSDADoom as a source port. I'll stream the latest version of maps on my Twitch channel. I'll probably not have time to play through all of them so I'll stream on two days. I'll keep the VODs up as highlights for later viewing. 

Tuesday August 3rd, 7 PM UTC and Wednesday August 4th, 7 PM UTC. Stream over here. (beware: UTC is not the current time in the UK because of daylight savings time!)

If you have any updates and are able to upload them to this thread before Tuesday I'll be sure to play those. I have already played through a big chunk of the mapset and given feedback to some mappers in private, so I might not stream the maps in order. Perhaps I'll feel like playing some of the new submissions that I haven't seen first. Who knows, we'll see.

I also feel like doing a co-op testing playthrough in a few weeks time. If you haven't added co-op starts and/or ammo, health and monster balance to your map and feel like you might be open to still do that: please do so. You are very welcome to join that stream: please send me a DM if you would like to and I'll send the password. That stream is tentatively planned for:

Tuesday August 24th, 7 PM UTC.

I of course understand it if your map is not balanced for co-op. Let me know if you don't want me to play it and I'll try to remember that and skip it. If there are any questions or remarks in general feel free to send me a DM.