Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

RAY MOHAWK 2 - Development Thread

I noticed a bug in the source wad (at least using Doom Builder X) that shows some of the freedoom assets name patches as textures of their own, also it's probably me that I'm making something wrong, but the new Dehacked assets don't appear in-game, leaving the stock assets.

I wrote the testing command in this way:

chocorenderlimits -merge raymowhak2b.wad -deh raymowhak2b.deh

Started the first draft of my map, is a series of buildings sets in a flooded arena (for now, in open sea) that simulates a flooded town area, like E3M3 of Duke Nukem 3D in style, no screenshot yet sorry.

11 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

I noticed a bug in the source wad (at least using Doom Builder X) that shows some of the freedoom assets name patches as textures of their own

Yeah, this was inherited from FreeDoom.. I actually removed like 70% of those patches if you can believe it, but I was worried about removing too many and accidentally removing actual textures as a result. It's a pain, I didn't mean to put the mappers through that.

chocorenderlimits -merge raymowhak2b.wad -deh raymowhak2b.deh

It should be chocorenderlimits -file mohawk2b.wad -deh mohawk2b.deh, that should do it. It does work in vanilla and Zandronum, I can confirm

The cyber is so out of clusterfuck(the corrupted cyberdemon, or wherever sourced from) for vanilla cool though.

43 minutes ago, IggySqiggles said:

WOOOO! Managed to fix all the visplane overflows!

A good tip to avoid VPOs is using pillars or walls on your map to block the player line of sight. They should be empty tho, no sectors inside (you can easily make one by drawing a shape and deleting the sector on it - having a black void as a result).

Example:

Spoiler

image.png.2a2094711b0aa8730e25fdfad4da2132.png

Edited by Noiser

Looking good, Walter! Also, Sloth Marine, could you possibly create an alternate version without the sun? Or heck, I could even do it. As it is now, the sky will get repeated 4 times left-to-right, meaning there will be 4 suns. But, if we have a sun-free version, I can just have only 1 of the 4 patches that make up a full sky using the sun, so it will only appear once. (Hope this makes sense, it's kind of hard to explain, but I think that's a really nice sky texture)

41 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Looking good, Walter! Also, Sloth Marine, could you possibly create an alternate version without the sun? Or heck, I could even do it. As it is now, the sky will get repeated 4 times left-to-right, meaning there will be 4 suns. But, if we have a sun-free version, I can just have only 1 of the 4 patches that make up a full sky using the sun, so it will only appear once. (Hope this makes sense, it's kind of hard to explain, but I think that's a really nice sky texture)

I could try to get rid of the sun

Nicely done 👍 

I’ve received Gokuma’s map recently and also been adding some finishing touches to Map01. Might post a compiled wad of what we have so far in the next couple days :) Even at just 5 maps this is already fun to blast through!

I'm getting somewhere, doesn't crash vanilla doom (so far)

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20210521-211525.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210521-205942.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210521-210141.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210521-210412.png

By the way how do I add a custom sky without replacing existing ones, made a custom sunset sky texture to replace RSKY2, is that ok?

Spoiler

RSKY2.png

Spoiler

image.png.e867b737fe4bac4aa41332ec6c126773.png

Here's what I have so far!

It looks pretty messy since most of it isn't completed :/

Ahhh! My map keeps crashing when ever the map loads up, how do I check what the problem is?

Edit: I literally just copied and pasted my map into a new map and its works now >:/

Edited by IggySqiggles

9 hours ago, sluggard said:

Nice screens, looking good! We can use a MAPINFO to call the custom sky for your map, too (this will only effect ZDoom-based ports, though maybe we can do a second mapinfo for others ports as well)

2 hours ago, IggySqiggles said:

Very strange error, but glad to hear it ended up working at least..

8 hours ago, IggySqiggles said:

Any good Midi recommendations?

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Adding_custom_music

This page should have you covered if you're looking for an abundance of free-to-use Doom midi files.

As far as specific midis, I unfortunately don't have a song recommendation. I am using a remix of Super Mario 64's Dire Dire Docks that I found on vgmusic if that helps your brain start storming.

I played through your map @SilverMiner and the Southern most monster closet didn't open on my first playthrough for some reason, even when repeatedly crossing the linedef. It did the second time, strange. Don't know why it happened and I don't have any advice, just wanted to let you know.

39 minutes ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

I played through your map @SilverMiner and the Southern most monster closet didn't open on my first playthrough for some reason, even when repeatedly crossing the linedef. It did the second time, strange. Don't know why it happened and I don't have any advice, just wanted to let you know.

The line that opens the closet is activated either by hitscan attackers or by a player. So you were lucky enough not to get it opened

On 5/21/2021 at 11:42 PM, sluggard said:

By the way how do I add a custom sky without replacing existing ones, made a custom sunset sky texture to replace RSKY2, is that ok?

Hide contents

RSKY2.png

It looks too simple imho.

This is a sky I took from ERampage3d (RR Eduke3d port)

It could be made into nice sunset sky (the truecolor source png and the mohawk-paletted 256x128 attempts are below)

SKY-7265.png

SKY-7261.pngSKY-7265.png

2 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

This is a sky I took from ERampage3d (RR Eduke3d port)

It could be made into nice sunset

Thanks but it's a bit too orange for the vibe I was going for, I want something with colors similar to the one I'm currently using, if I can't find one I'll just keep the one i'm using right now.

I have been collabing on maps with two authors here, so I thought I'd start chipping in with feedback. Included FDAs (sorry these are going to have crappy video quality just because upload times would be annoying otherwise). 

map01 (by Doomkid)

Spoiler

Fantastic start.  

Sadly I messed up recording my FDA (fantastic start for me too!).

Looks good, good mix of strong architectural design and Doomcute rooms, with clean texturing and strong theming. The fodder hordes feel very "naturally" used as parts in a larger, sophisticated running battle, rather than simpler on-the-nose setups, which I thought was a good example, because while anyone can give you hordes and have you mow them down without any prompting, subtler ideas aren't always automatic. The new monsters are also introduced seamlessly. I ended up feeling motivated to push through the crowd of imps in the hallway adjoining the RK door, which is a good sign. Can't think of anything negative, really here. The blue armor secret even gives you a convenient way back. Grade: A / Difficulty: D ;) (I'm not doing that regularly.) 

map02 (by Voltcom)

Spoiler

Really heavy on mowing down earlygame fodder -- not a bad concept to roll with. This map loves imps, and the fact that RMM2's early weapons are fun to mow down fodder with shows here. 

As it stands, I think an issue is the map, outside of how cool the big gallery of imps above initially looks, doesn't feel especially good/intentional at doing that beyond "here have lots of imps, play." The main thing is the layout itself is awkward at times for the combat: bottlenecks that monsters get stuck in (like that small door into the interior), and one point it seemed like stairs that were awkward for monsters to traverse. Gave it another spin and ended up feeling that, in addition to the aforementioned layout improvements, some more auxiliary traps/reveals -- closets and such that spring open and prod you into action or keep you off guard -- might help give the map some pep to its step. And that would definitely suit the nice "Egypt vacation" theme the map has going on.  

The cacodemons behind the start area are okay, but there might be a bit too many of them for the pressure they provide. 

map03 (by Cheesewheel)

Spoiler

Visually this wonderful. Not in the "amaze you" way but it's really comfy to look at and has a great sense of place to it. I enjoyed all of the trap reveals around big events, and how they manage to be various iterations of "closet hordes to plow down with the cell cannon" while still being unique and interesting in some ways. A map03 can't be too rough, but I appreciated that there were some archviles and pain elementals in the mix, and one vile even gave me a rough moment. 

This map is good, but if one thing stood out as improvable, it's the acquisition of the Cell Cannon. It feels so out of the way and incidental. Because it was out of the way, I cleared out half the map's monsters without it (and a lot of mancubi snipers) and then basically had limitless ammo for it the rest way of the way through -- which points towards making it available earlier as a solution. It didn't feel like much of an event, either, which might not be ideal considering it's the first appearance in the set. YK door was a bit hard to spot for me, but that is also partly EE's default automap settings I think.

On a replay of the map's first half, I beelined for the plasma cannon and it played a lot more like it felt it should have the first time around. 

Thank you so much for the feedback here, rd. Extremely valuable input, I'm sure @MidnightMage and @Cheesewheel will appreciate the feedback and be glad to know their maps only need a few minor fixes. I'm also extending the end of my map just a tad to make the exit a little less awkward, but I don't think it will be substantial enough of a change to have any impact on the feel of the map otherwise.

In particular, I noticed the Caco wave on Map02 that's locked in the water area did seem a bit too dense and didn't provide much challenge, getting rid of them felt like a chore (as opposed to the rest of the map which I enjoyed).

I happened to go right towards the Cell Cannon on Map03 by sheer luck when I was testing it so the map felt great - didn't even consider how easy it was to miss, so I definitely agree it should be made more obvious (and maybe be presented in a slightly more eventful way, perhaps lowering a small ambush or something as it's collected). Again, great map otherwise.

Thank you again rd, stuff like this hemps immensely!

I played a bit with a  mohawk2b.WAD on Doom2 maps and Map 30 of Scythe and I would like to provide some feedback:

- The flamethrower is very powerful, but it can comepletely block the player's own screen. This greatly complicates fighting dangerous monsters in small-ish rooms (e.g.  cyberdemons around the start of scythe map30). On top of that, the constant waves of flames can be tiring on the eyes. Would it be possible to replace the projectile sprite with something else? (e.g. - use something like revenant magma balls without the central rock?).

- It feels wrong that cacodemons shoot a single pitiful imp fireball. Maybe they should shoot two?

I think I might give the Cacos their balls back (huhuh) but also give imps their balls as well (double huhuh). Considering how OP the player is, I think the imps could use the extra very small boost this will provide them. Also, I might just shrink the fire sprites to 2/3rds of their current size and recolor them to a deeper, less bright-and-blinding orangeish color. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

I have to be honest, my cave design looks nice but really isn't sticking with me. I'm thinking about restarting the map completely and work on design rather than visuals. I should be able to pull together a basic design this weekend for hopefully a much better design :)

Some teaser shots of a map that is 99% complete and will be made available for the (in)convenience of playtesters in the Coming Days™.

Screenshot_Doom_20210525_135349.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210525_135503.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210525_135827.png

Edited by Aurelius