Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Console version of Heretic?

Just wondering, why didn't someone remake Heretic for the PSX, Saturn, or Nintendo64? It's an awesome game, IMO just as good as Doom, and maybe even better than HeXen. So, why didn't Heretic ever make it the consoles?
Oh, and will there be a GBA version of Heretic? I've heard there will be a HeXen for GBA, why not Heretic?

I liked Heretic a hell of alot better than HeXen. Infact, I never did like Hexen. Why I still have my CD, I'm not even sure. I wish they'd make a GBA version of Heretic. Or have it emulated on Dreamcast or PSX.

Interesting. I remember playing Heretic and going; Damn! I like this!
and the playing Hexen and going; well.. ahm.. hmm.... damn this is hard..

Heretic shoulda been ported first between the 2 of em I think

Taking teh convos into public eh DooMBoy? :P

Anyways, I am apauled that they didnt make a Console Heretic. I loved and still love Heretic, and I am going on a Strike, a Non-spamming strike, thou shall spam till Heretic is born unto a console system!!! Vive-la consoleHeretic!! :D

The problem with porting it or emulating it on Dreamcast is that you'd have to convert all the code over to it from an existing port (such as ZDoom or Eternity (when it's done :P)) and yeah, that'd take a lot of work and stuff.

It's too bad, that'd be nice :)

BigBadGangsta said:

Heretic sucks anyway.

Heh, think what you will, BBG, but I think Heretic's an awesome game.

DOOM Anomaly said:

You're a Heretic of Heretic, HERETIC!!! BURN THE HERETIC!!! :D

I accually understood that. *shudder* that scares me :o

To me, Heretic was too easy. Even D'Sparil wasn't that tough to beat, even when warping to that map and starting with nothing. It's still fun, though, and I still play it every so often. However, Hexen is a whole lot better, especially for map editing.

BigBadGangsta said:

Heretic sucks anyway.

Such a statement needs an elaboration dude, though I agree.

Why do I think Heretic blows?
Because it's really nothing but Doom in fantasy clothing. The weapons are cheesy magic staff weapons with imho little originality put into the actual weapons themselves and most of them work exactly the same as Doom's weapons except being less powerful and the final weapon, the fire mace, is disappointingly weak.
Same goes for the majority of the powerups - Doom ripoffs.

Although there are lots of background sounds, this game seems to completely lack proper scare factor - although the monsters are original they seem cheesier than Doom's.

The ability to fly means absolutely zero to me as does the transparicy effects (these things are just slight improvements over Doom - and I tend to think that Doom's predator effect is cooler), so that doesn't help in any way.

The Tome of Power is really the only thing in Heretic which is cool about Heretic imo.

My distaste for Heretic is largely aestethic (sp?), but I also find the gameplay strangely dull. It takes less than two days for me to grow really tired of playing the game - so tired that playing it further is an ordeal. I cannot explain why the gameplay seems dull to me, it just is.

HeXen on the other hand, now there's a total kickass game - not only is it damn sweet to cut down enemies with the axe, freeze their asses, or fry them, not to mention that the weapons themselves are so much more original, but the game world also seems so much more complete and immersive. Oh yeah, and the powerups are cooler in HeXen too - they've taken a few of the better Heretic powerups and added some new, kickass ones.

Heretic is nearly as good as doom. If it had come out first people would laugh at doom. The level design was awesome, the best in a doom engine based game (not counting the original dooms)

I didnt like Hexen nearly as much, in fact i never finished it, i shoudl probably get back to that...

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Since when was Doom not based on fantasy?

He means fantasy in a Tolkein/Dungeons and Dragons sense, rather than simply a fictional sense.

Anyway, the one thing I disliked about Heretic is that it used the same textures over and over and OVER again (100 textures spread over 5 episode, compared to Doom 1's 280+ textures spread over 4 episodes). You saw them so often it got extremely repetitive. If they'd had something like 4 times more textures it would have been so much better.

Heretic wasn't that bad. The enemies were not as good as Doom, though. And the later episodes had a serious lack of ammo that I feel crippled the game.

If I could ask for a console version of a FPS game it would definitely be Blood. Maybe Lobotomy could work on it...

Ichor said:

To me, Heretic was too easy. Even D'Sparil wasn't that tough to beat, even when warping to that map and starting with nothing.

If you were playing on skill 5 (Black Plague), then I ph34r j00!

And yeah, Heretic ruled. I found Hexen quite disappointing though, mainly because of the poor selection of weapons (even if some of them were cool in themselves).

Wobbo said:

Heretic is nearly as good as doom. If it had come out first people would laugh at doom. The level design was awesome, the best in a doom engine based game (not counting the original dooms)

That's like saying Quake is better than Hexen 2. No. :P

IMHO, the two overlooked Doom engine games, Strife and Hacx (which you can get for FREE [strike]il[/strike]legally) are better than Heretic.

Wobbo said:

Heretic is nearly as good as doom. If it had come out first people would laugh at doom.

You gotta be kidding. Doom is kickass because it has badass weapons.
Doom has shotguns (which SOUND kickass), Heretic only has cheesy magic staffs that go *zap* and a crossbow - weak!

Even if Doom came after Heretic it would still be a kickass game - why do you think people STILL play Doom nearly ten years after its release? Gameplay = kickass, Concept = kickass, Atmosphere = kickass - I could go on.

BigBadGangsta said:

IMHO, the two overlooked Doom engine games, Strife and Hacx (which you can get for FREE [strike]il[/strike]legally) are better than Heretic.

Hacx is a TC FOR doom.

Actually, hexen did seem boring. Something about that melee fighting and half-assed "solve the puzzle by pressing switches" turned me off.

Black Void said:

Actually, hexen did seem boring. Something about that melee fighting and half-assed "solve the puzzle by pressing switches" turned me off.

Well what was Heretic? long-range crapph fighting, and quarter-assed "Solve the puzzle by pressing switches" With hexen, you could do so much more.

Black Void said:

Something about that melee fighting ... turned me off.

Hell is a place where you are the fighter with just weapons 1 and 2, and face an endless stream of ettins. :)

I love games that have melee weapons. It's just more fun getting in close and hacking/slashing instead of standing half a mile away with a gun that can kill in one shot. Much more fun to dodge attacks from something that could wipe you out in two hits all the while hacking away with a large pointy thing with spikes on it. :D

Actually, I have beaten D'Sparil in skill 5 before, but it certainly isn't easy. I usually play on skill 4 though (and on Doom).

ravage said:

Hacx is a TC FOR doom.

Actually, genius, it is a Doom engine game, not a TC, because, legally, a TC cannot be sold and stuff. It IS considered a new game and not a TC / megawad

OK, but if the identical files had been made available for free, no one would have any hesitation in calling it a TC.