Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Demonologist

[Limit-Removing] Tetraptykon

Nobody dared comment yet so I'll get the train rolling...

This is a really fun set. Accessible old school slaughter is a pretty spot on description, a ton of bloodshed and set piece type combat "puzzles" but doesn't have the masochistic difficulty that some of the modern slaughter sets tend to have. I'd say this is pretty comparable to Rush so should be highly enjoyable for more casual slaughter players as well (like myself). OTEX looks good here as always and I like how you have wildly different settings in each map.

Excellent work, no bugs noted or grievances to be aired from me. Good to see more maps from you!

Only had a peek at the maps but they seem interesting! But are the ammo numbers supposed to be hidden? See the right side of the HUD in the screenshot below:

Spoiler

doom00.png.411014a4557db600ced1242593001f78.png

This is in dsda-doom v0.18.0.

7 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

Only had a peek at the maps but they seem interesting! But are the ammo numbers supposed to be hidden? See the right side of the HUD in the screenshot below:

Hide contents

doom00.png.411014a4557db600ced1242593001f78.png

This is in dsda-doom v0.18.0.

thats stbar013.wad by Daniel, unknowngly to or jokeingly, he replaced the arms number with transparent graphics.
So @demonoid its better remove them so, at least the weapon selection and the ammo count numbers will appear, not the words, just the number.

Checked out all of the maps. Enjoyed a lot of them. Really only map02 is the one I didn't like a lot but that is because I found myself grinding through a lot of it with rockets. I think if I was to replay it with foreknowledge I would have a great time with it.

The other maps I quite liked. Standout bits to me were:

The final fight of map01 - I really liked how the encounter forced me behind all of the revs I was killing to get ride of the rockets following me.

Map03 has that really cool bridge with the cybs on it. The fight at the end with the revs/barons and the chaingunner fight with the viles were the standout bits to me.

Map04 was definitely my favorite. The fight at the start and all of the fights with bfg were cool. A cool mix of fights where you have ample space to run around and other fights where you simply don't have much space and have to bfg through large groups of mancs (the ysk fight iirc) were all a lot of fun. The final bit fight was definitely the standout fight of the map.

Had fun with the wad. Thanks for making it.

Thanks a lot for the feedback people, very glad to hear this is enjoyable.

2 hours ago, Shepardus said:

But are the ammo numbers supposed to be hidden?

Well, this is embarrassing, I didn't even notice as I play with alternative HUD (and felt like replacing the default one with something nicer for those who prefer it the old-fashioned way). The issue's fixed, and the numbers are now displayed. Thank you kindly for reporting it!

Download link is updated, the HUD is now fully functional.

wow, already been four years since noctambulist!  played through these earlier today and had a lot of fun.

I'll echo mostly what others said, especially Killer5 and Veinen. Generally fun old-school slaughter, with the HR2 music only adding to the old-school feel. Definitely good for casual players, even those who hate slaughtermaps can actually find this to be a fun one to stroll through. Beginning of MAP02 and pretty much all of MAP04 were the standouts for me. No bugs to report!

Thanks! I suppose I could elaborate a bit more at this point...

HR2 music is there for a reason, as - I have to confess - HR2 itself was the primary source of inspiration here (with bits and pieces of other things of course, but they're much less significant regardless). My latest HR2 revisit - that happened last year - turned out to be considerably more fun than I initially anticipated, and to cure that unbearable itch, this mapset had to be made.

The intention was to take better parts and leave out questionable ones (while keeping some charming oddities that don't make much sense from "maximum combat efficiency" perspective of modern slaughtermaps) while also reimagining some core concepts (e.g. map03 is a very loose reinterpretation of HR2 m29, and map02 is an obvious HR2 m32 tribute), thus offering a "distilled"/refined experience packed into a small mapset.

Cheers!

42 minutes ago, Demonologist said:

Thanks! I suppose I could elaborate a bit more at this point...

HR2 music is there for a reason, as - I have to confess - HR2 itself was the primary source of inspiration here (with bits and pieces of other things of course, but they're much less significant regardless). My latest HR2 revisit - that happened last year - turned out to be considerably more fun than I initially anticipated, and to cure that unbearable itch, this mapset had to be made.

The intention was to take better parts and leave out questionable ones (while keeping some charming oddities that don't make much sense from "maximum combat efficiency" perspective of modern slaughtermaps) while also reimagining some core concepts (e.g. map03 is a very loose reinterpretation of HR2 m29, and map02 is an obvious HR2 m32 tribute), thus offering a "distilled"/refined experience packed into a small mapset.

Cheers!

Hi don't be ashamed of your inspiration. I'm a pure HR2 fan !

5 minutes ago, Roofi said:

Hi don't be ashamed of your inspiration. I'm a pure HR2 fan !

Heh merci mon ami, I am not. At this point in time I also prefer HR2 over many things, and greatly appreciate older hardcore works in general.

The "confession" part is there because most of the time I'm seemingly associated with newer works and influences, but, in truth, I'm much more "oldschool" than that. The grass was greener in the 00s.

I've been meaning to play this for months! (The joys of having a baby!)

As something of a slaughter virgin (I've played a few BridgeBurner wads and I tried Sunder for lols and got annihilated) I'm liking what I'm seeing so far! Encounter design is pretty fun without being crushingly difficult!

Thank you!

2 hours ago, rmgr said:

The joys of having a baby!

Heh right, family life can be quite a deterrent, I understand. Still, belated congratulations!

Have fun, and good luck out there, be it with this particular mapset or with other mass murderfests. This sure is an interesting path to take, even if the journey is not going to be easy.

I played through this recently when it was uploaded to idgames and found it during a random search with Doom Launcher. I'm a stickler for design and careful balancing in slaughterwads and have very strong opinions about what I like and don't like, and I really enjoyed the balancing and encounter design here (with the exception of the recessed archviles in Map 2). Much like the textfile for NGM2, these are slaughtermaps that are focused on being fun and accessible, exciting without being punishing or grindy (a trope that so many slaughtermaps struggle to avoid), and I would gladly play many more from you. Great weapon balancing, pleasing aesthetics, good encounter design (wait... I forgot about that chaingunner pit. Yeah that needed an invulnerability or invisibility sphere, definitely). Looking forwards to the possible sequel.

@666shooter

Thanks, glad you liked it!

Well, I believe for many people I will always be that obnoxiously unkind character responsible for some gruesomely punishing and "unfair" ordeals (and I did actually make a number of things that were admittedly demanding and not that accessible, not for non-hardcore aficionados anyway, so I can't really blame them, heh), while for others [who happen to care] it'd probably be pretty hard to predict my next move since whatever I happen to map at any given time period is mostly dictated by my then-prevalent mapping interests. Sure, I'm inclined towards slaughter gameplay most of the time so it's logical to expect more of that incorporated in some way but there are still constants as well as variables. That is, if I decide to map at all.

This is probably a discouraging thing to read given that you've expressed interest in more stuff from me (thank you for that, in any case), but I feel that I have to give this bit of warning, regardless.

As for this particular mapset, I feel like I've done everything I wanted with it, so I don't think there's going to be a sequel, but more stuff that can be considered fun and accessible... Maybe, who knows. Time will tell.

Cheers!

Great looking wad, really enjoying playing this one. One question, how the heck do you pronounce the name of this?? :)

Thank you for your kind words, glad you liked it!

19 hours ago, BiZ said:

Great looking wad, really enjoying playing this one. One question, how the heck do you pronounce the name of this?? :)

The way it's written, it's generally much simpler with Greek than it is with English in that regard.

In case the next question is going to be about the word's meaning - it's merely a work [of art, if such a term can be considered appropriate] consisting of four parts. Behind obscure words, there are trivial things.