Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Domestic-Weirdo

Patch The Doom 64 Re-releases

My best hypothesis is that maybe Firefox's hardware rendering feature (if enabled) is using Vulkan and it conflicts somehow with the game trying to use it at the same time. That might just punt the issue off to your graphics drivers.

I can't reproduce it, but I don't even use the same OS (Linux here), so that doesn't say much.

I actually have an issue where I run Bluestacks for a certain game I play, and with hardware acceleration enabled in Chrome, eventually Chrome would lock up and I would be forced to hard reboot the system to use it again as not even killing the task would solve it.

Disable hardware acceleration, whammo, Chrome no longer locks up and I can play my game, in exchange for some uglier scrolling. (To be fair, my PC is 10 years old - on a new one it'd probably not even do that. Probably will build a whole new rig this summer, so we will see.)

On 5/17/2021 at 3:24 PM, chungy said:

My best hypothesis is that maybe Firefox's hardware rendering feature (if enabled) is using Vulkan and it conflicts somehow with the game trying to use it at the same time. That might just punt the issue off to your graphics drivers.

I can't reproduce it, but I don't even use the same OS (Linux here), so that doesn't say much.

Yeah it's some kind of Nvidia driver bug almost certainly. How it has managed to persist through years worth of versions now is very annoying.

The fans can fix it. If the devs can't do it because of the stupid publisher, then the fans can take over.

Bethesda clearly doesn't care but eh, I signed it.

Spoiler

Also kinda unrelated to the whole vannilla accuracy situation but I get really bad stuttering in Doom 64 seemingly out of nowhere (like once every 2 hours or so), and the only way to fix it is by restarting. Anybody knows what's up?

On 7/24/2021 at 10:40 AM, Mike Stu said:

Also kinda unrelated to the whole vannilla accuracy situation but I get really bad stuttering in Doom 64 seemingly out of nowhere (like once every 2 hours or so), and the only way to fix it is by restarting. Anybody knows what's up?

Is it just the program, or your entire system? My guess is maybe it's due to RAM or system uptime, but I can't be sure.

Just one quick word on back-compatibility: all versions of the Wii and the WiiU can run Gamecube games quasi-natively with the homebrew app “Nintendon’t”. 

I say “quasi” because this particular app runs GC games as though they were Wii games, thanks to the fact that the CPU and GPU are practically identical, but emulates memory cards and controllers. As a result, you can use Bluetooth controllers and save your games to an SD card or USB drive, AND it can take advantage of the Wii’s faster clockspeeds to increase performance in certain titles. 

I think Blackpuppy was responding to this post. I looked at this for a good minute trying to figure out why they posted that response, but I think I got some context. 

2 hours ago, Chip said:

I think Blackpuppy was responding to this post. I looked at this for a good minute trying to figure out why they posted that response, but I think I got some context. 

Yeah, sorry. I was catching up on a few months worth of posts and between that and my lack of sleep (babies!), my posting etiquette went out the window. 

This one bug with layered flat textures is (thankfully) the one I see the most, and not that commonly.

It would be nice for to be fixed though, along with those other little things, to make the port truly perfect.

Man, now I want to play some Doom 64 again, it's getting colder and darker, so it's getting me into the right mood.

20 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

This one bug with layered flat textures is (thankfully) the one I see the most, and not that commonly.

It would be nice for to be fixed though, along with those other little things, to make the port truly perfect.

Man, now I want to play some Doom 64 again, it's getting colder and darker, so it's getting me into the right mood.

I've actually had that error myself, I got all prepped to report it, but, all the talk of 'no more support' discouraged me from potentially wasting my time.

I went out of my way to relay it to their Discord server after having it happen to me twice, and apparently they know of this bug and people have reported it, but as it's up to Bethesda/Microsoft, they can't really do anything about it until further notice. Potentially someone at Nightdive already has the solution worked out in their head, in case they get the greenlight one day.

I really hope they get to fix it. If I'm going to be really optimistic, another episode of levels would be really cool too, because I liked the one Kaiser made, a lot, but that's just me blowing sunshine up my own ass, and I know they don't have time for that.

I'd say they should add featured mods and get stuff like Beta 64 on there, just for parity with Doom and Quake, but there's so little content for it out there. But you know, chicken and egg scenario. Without one, the other cant happen.

God I love how politics and money just get involved with the basic fucking concept of "Just make it right."

I get that the work isn't free, nor is the QA testing and all that shit, but come the fuck on.

This just begs people to break into your game to fix your shit. Which you then get all butthurt about. How dare they get their fingers on the precioussssssss.

(And no, I'm obviously not blaming Nightdive here - I'm blaming the publishers who give these things shoestring budgets and seemingly never account for there needing to be a patch or three.)

My theory is that Bethesda decided that instead of paying for a patch, they should instead pay for a Quake 1 remaster. Which, you know, fair.

4 hours ago, Kinsie said:

My theory is that Bethesda decided that instead of paying for a patch, they should instead pay for a Quake 1 remaster. Which, you know, fair.

Fine, but if you're not gonna make it right, why make it at all?

Failing to fix stuff like this is what causes people to leave negative reviews.

I mean, granted, they weren't exactly making tons of money off the re-release since a bunch of people got it for free, but still. Literally the exact same logic can be applied to the Quake remaster.

58 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

since a bunch of people got it for free

How did people get it for Free? Doom 64 wasn't on Steam before the re-release?

17 minutes ago, Chip said:

How did people get it for Free? Doom 64 wasn't on Steam before the re-release?

IIRC it was a pre-order bonus for Doom Eternal, so if you preordered Doom Eternal, you got it for free.

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

IIRC it was a pre-order bonus for Doom Eternal, so if you preordered Doom Eternal, you got it for free.

yeah, but Beth is still making money on that. it would act as a selling point for DE, so if there were people that were on the fence about pre-ordering DE, they would then say, "Hell Yeah!" and get it. Pre-ordering a game, you will buy it at the highest price, with a price-drop coming out after launch. At launch, DE was 60 dollars USD, now, a year and a half later, it is 30 dollars USD. Doom 64 was 5 dollars USD at launch, sometimes with that price lowering. So although they said that D64 was free, it really did cost a bit for you to pre-order it. 

7 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

God I love how politics and money just get involved with the basic fucking concept of "Just make it right."

I get that the work isn't free, nor is the QA testing and all that shit, but come the fuck on.

This just begs people to break into your game to fix your shit. Which you then get all butthurt about. How dare they get their fingers on the precioussssssss.

(And no, I'm obviously not blaming Nightdive here - I'm blaming the publishers who give these things shoestring budgets and seemingly never account for there needing to be a patch or three.)

How many issues with Doom64 would you have noticed without you either trying to mod the game (which only affects one specific version), or have them litteraly pointed out to you, usually by Kinsie himself?

2 hours ago, Chip said:

yeah, but Beth is still making money on that. it would act as a selling point for DE, so if there were people that were on the fence about pre-ordering DE, they would then say, "Hell Yeah!" and get it. Pre-ordering a game, you will buy it at the highest price, with a price-drop coming out after launch. At launch, DE was 60 dollars USD, now, a year and a half later, it is 30 dollars USD. Doom 64 was 5 dollars USD at launch, sometimes with that price lowering. So although they said that D64 was free, it really did cost a bit for you to pre-order it. 

Naturally. But that's still getting the game for free if you preordered it.

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

How many issues with Doom64 would you have noticed without you either trying to mod the game (which only affects one specific version), or have them litteraly pointed out to you, usually by Kinsie himself?

Not any, really, which is a credit to you and your team's work.

It's just that the publishers for some reason seemingly never account for a possibility that you might not catch everything and expect it to be nailed in one shot, and it's not worth a dime more. Good enough to port; not good enough to patch.

Even if they do allow for a patch, it's rare for there to be more than one patch. I know Blood:FS got three, but Doom 64 2020 got none. But of course, it's not the publisher who takes heat. Atari isn't going to get most of the grief for Blood: Fresh Supply. Nightdive will, because Joe Sixchips is gonna assume you guys simply didn't care and didn't bother putting out a patch. We both saw that on Discord a few days ago directly. Ditto for Doom 64 - who's gonna blame Bethesda for that? People in the know, sure, but not people who aren't.

And that's the problem I have with it - the wrong guy is taking the heat for it.

I know of a very specific case of a very specific game. Except in that case it was even worse, because it was one step short of intentional sabotage - hell, maybe even was. I won't get into that publicly though.

Edited by Dark Pulse

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Even if they do allow for a patch, it's rare for there to be more than one patch. I know Blood:FS got three, but Doom 64 2020 got none. But of course, it's not the publisher who takes heat. Atari isn't going to get most of the grief for Blood: Fresh Supply. Nightdive will, because Joe Sixchips is gonna assume you guys simply didn't care and didn't bother putting out a patch. We both saw that on Discord a few days ago directly. Ditto for Doom 64 - who's gonna blame Bethesda for that? People in the know, sure, but not people who aren't.

The steam forums for Quake have a lot of nightdive haters, its true. Almost all the time it seems to go back to Blood, where we know it was corporate fuckery at fault, not the developers. But the average person doesn't know that.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:48 AM, Dark Pulse said:

Is it just the program, or your entire system? My guess is maybe it's due to RAM or system uptime, but I can't be sure.

Oh snap, only saw this now. Nah it's just Doom 64, my rig is decent enough (16gb DDR4, i5-9400F, GTX 1060 6GB). For reference, I can run newer Doom games no problem, just get these random drops on 64 for whatever reason. Not a huge deal, but eh, it's there.

10 hours ago, Mike Stu said:

Oh snap, only saw this now. Nah it's just Doom 64, my rig is decent enough (16gb DDR4, i5-9400F, GTX 1060 6GB). For reference, I can run newer Doom games no problem, just get these random drops on 64 for whatever reason. Not a huge deal, but eh, it's there.

And that's a desktop CPU, so that rules out stuff like power throttling in laptops, probably. And a system like that will obviously handle the game just fine.

If it's JUST that game, then the only thing I can really think of is weird stuff like it not playing nice with high system uptime, or something like your graphics drivers possibly being out of date. Try doing a clean uninstall and reinstall of them.

Doom 64 having a port that's so close to perfect is why I really want it to cross the finish line, there's only a few things off, one directly noticeable, and a couple that I can't unknow.

I can't hold Fresh Supply against you guys, Infogrames will Infogrames, but iD/Bethesda/Microsoft seems to see more than enough value in the Doom brand (particularly given how well the other ports were fixed up, starting at disaster and arriving at close to perfect, with continued new and free content).

You guys are probably busy with Quake and stuff still, but I hope that Doom 64 will get its final bit of polish one day, I think there's some real prestige in bringing a 'hidden gem' like this to the masses, and in such a good package.

That port is dead. You'd be better off trying to convince people to restart work on Doom64ex or something.

19 minutes ago, famicommander said:

I tried to play the game today but I died of starvation during all the logo screens

On 7/20/2020 at 3:18 PM, ZeroTheEro said:

are you bored of long, unecessary intros that drag on forever?

do you have to watch it if your game crashes whatsoever?

Then, my friend, -skipmovies is your friend.

image.png.e03d2f8dce054f87774cdd3628ab45d7.png

58 minutes ago, famicommander said:

I tried to play the game today but I died of starvation during all the logo screens

That's actually the only thing that straight up annoys me with this port, the startup logos aren't skippable, and they're also much louder than the rest of the game.

40 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

Can't do that on console.

15 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

Console version. 

It's equally as big of a pain in the ass as fixing the brightness and remapping the controls every time I play the N64 original.