Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Domestic-Weirdo

Patch The Doom 64 Re-releases

Those shader updates used to be silent, at some point Valve decided to make them visible and now they confuse everyone constantly.

On 4/8/2023 at 2:31 AM, Devalaous said:

Those shader updates used to be silent, at some point Valve decided to make them visible and now they confuse everyone constantly.

A friend of mine apparently thinks that these shader updates with any of the Doom games are some kind of spyware that Bethesda is secretly installing with the Doom 64 remaster, the Unity ports of Doom I and II, and the Doom 3 games and expansions thereof, so much so that it drove him to uninstall those games off Steam. I tried to argue that these are just shader updates from Value (with proof to back it up) and nothing more, but he is insistent on his beliefs that the entire Bethesda.net integration with these re-releases is spyware... Someone people are just too paranoid for their good it seems.

And a bit off-topic, but why is that the PC version of Doom 64 remaster can skip the intro FMVs (as well as the Unity ports of Doom I and II), but not the Switch version? I was able to pick the Doom re-releases recently on Switch thanks to another friend of mine and it bugs me that I have to wait to get into Doom 64 on Switch thanks to the unskippable FMVs when I don't have to with the other two games.

3 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

And a bit off-topic, but why is that the PC version of Doom 64 remaster can skip the intro FMVs (as well as the Unity ports of Doom I and II), but not the Switch version? I was able to pick the Doom re-releases recently on Switch thanks to another friend of mine and it bugs me that I have to wait to get into Doom 64 on Switch thanks to the unskippable FMVs when I don't have to with the other two games.

The console ports are behind the PC version in updates if I recall.