• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Domestic-Weirdo

Patch The Doom 64 Re-releases

On 4/24/2021 at 4:21 PM, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

That´s not an ideal way, dude.

Yes it is.

So I still have to sit through 500 years of logos every time I boot up the Switch version. Saw there was an update but nobody thought to fix that nonsense?

Would rather play the N64 version at this point. 

2 hours ago, famicommander said:

Saw there was an update but nobody thought to fix that nonsense?

There has not been an update for the Switch version.

I recently booted up Doom 64 (on PC) and I'm wondering, why is the Bindings section designed the way it is and are there plans to improve it in any way? I tried to rebind Next Weapon and Previous Weapon to mousewheel down and mousewheel up, but I don't know how to with the way it's designed. I could deal with the default mousewheel bindings if I have to, though.

37 minutes ago, Eddie 2077 said:

I recently booted up Doom 64 (on PC) and I'm wondering, why is the Bindings section designed the way it is and are there plans to improve it in any way? I tried to rebind Next Weapon and Previous Weapon to mousewheel down and mousewheel up, but I don't know how to with the way it's designed. I could deal with the default mousewheel bindings if I have to, though.

It's a toggle. Pressing the same button bound during a bind task will unbind it. This is how it's always worked in Kex out of necessity as buttons must be able to represent multiple binds. No it won't change.

9 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

It's a toggle. Pressing the same button bound during a bind task will unbind it. This is how it's always worked in Kex out of necessity as buttons must be able to represent multiple binds. No it won't change.

I understand. As long as I can remember it's a toggle, I think I'll be good.

It's impressive how people people are refusing to use a high effort remaster just for a few nitpicks, when it's by far the best version of this game.

15 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Well we should stick with the original N64 version, emulate it, or the EX version.

What's the point of bumps with subtle implication like this?

We have plenty of Nightdive devs strolling these corridors here. If there really was something worthwhile to announce - they would have, don't you think?

Why not use EX-Plus that's recently released?

57 minutes ago, Metal_Slayer said:

It's impressive how people people are refusing to use a high effort remaster just for a few nitpicks, when it's by far the best version of this game.

Its like having a purist mentality but applying it to a remaster.

Edited by Redneckerz

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Its like having a purist mentality but applying it to a remaster.

Isn't lower Baron melee damage the only current problem in the remaster that actually affects the gameplay?
Other ports don't have this problem, but also aren't really compatible versions of Doom 64, but more like recreations of it using source ports, the remaster even accepts original N64 saves. Other than that people are complaining about things that don't affect the gameplay like the totally skippable logos before the game starts or the option to log into a Bethesda account to get a cosmetic at Doom Eternal.

20 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Well we should stick with the original N64 version, emulate it, or the EX version.

Who are you talking to, and why are you speaking for other people?

34 minutes ago, Metal_Slayer said:

Isn't lower Baron melee damage the only current problem in the remaster that actually affects the gameplay?
Other ports don't have this problem, but also aren't really compatible versions of Doom 64, but more like recreations of it using source ports, the remaster even accepts original N64 saves. Other than that people are complaining about things that don't affect the gameplay like the totally skippable logos before the game starts or the option to log into a Bethesda account to get a cosmetic at Doom Eternal.

Like you said, nitpicks. I'd consider the remaster another option in the sea of D64 ports/experiences. It being official is ofcourse a bonus.

Lastly, it allows playing Doom 64 on new platforms. That's rather a big incentive, mind you.

4 hours ago, Metal_Slayer said:

That's been fixed in the PC builds, of note.

1 hour ago, Metal_Slayer said:

So, are there any reasons for this thread to be relevant now? Other than this still being an issue on consoles?

I mean I guess begging for demo recording and loading external KPF files with the -file parameter? idk lol

On 6/27/2022 at 1:43 AM, Redneckerz said:

Super cool to see a revival for the port that started it all. I haven't been able to find a thread for it on the forums, is there any word on what the goals are for this fork?

5 hours ago, Lollie said:

Super cool to see a revival for the port that started it all. I haven't been able to find a thread for it on the forums, is there any word on what the goals are for this fork?

Here's a shortlist of some of the goals just from discussions

- Multi-system support including MacOS and Linux users
- Improved accuracy from reverse engineered Doom 64 code
- Bug fixes for modern computers
- Mod compatibility

And there's more bits and pieces, but that's the gist of some of the main ones I got.

On 6/26/2022 at 8:41 PM, Metal_Slayer said:

So, are there any reasons for this thread to be relevant now? Other than this still being an issue on consoles?

There's a couple bugs introduced in the latest update. I remember off the top of my head that because they changed the way weapons are rendered, overlays like the Plasma Gun beam tube animation are glitched now. I don't remember what else is there.

Aside from that it's just people who'd like to see things added in this version. Personally, I'd love to have demo recording lol.

On 6/26/2022 at 4:47 PM, Metal_Slayer said:

I think it's an excellent remaster, I've played it through a bunch of times and will play it a bunch more.

It's just that on console, there's still a couple of small, but visible, bugs left, and quashing those would make the entire thing perfect. Said it before and I'll say it again, really hope ZeniMax pays off for that last bit of polish one day.

Only other thing I can think of is being able to skip the loud startup movies (possible on PC but not console). Beyond that? Uuh, maaaybe unlocking -fastmonsters and Nightmare if you beat the game, but that's just wishful thinking, I'd settle for the last couple of bugfixes.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:59 AM, Immorpher said:

Here's a shortlist of some of the goals just from discussions

- Multi-system support including MacOS and Linux users
- Improved accuracy from reverse engineered Doom 64 code
- Bug fixes for modern computers
- Mod compatibility

Oh baby! I hope mod compat involves a handy and helpful feature such as UMAPINFO.

Any plans for any kind of basic actor definitions? Something akin to very basic Decorate, except demo compatible?

Sorry, I'm getting too excited here.

11 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Any plans for any kind of basic actor definitions? Something akin to very basic Decorate, except demo compatible?

They have talked about adding something like that for sure. It would require a fair bit of programming and there isn't an easy solution as far as I am aware of. So it would need to be a long-term goal. However there has been a lot of clean up and documentation of the code. So much so that @styd051 has been able to add custom monsters into the source code of EX+. 

If there is in the Future a Patch possible for the Switch Release, i would wish to make the Intros skipable :>

If there's ever a patch for consoles, it's pretty obvious it'll add intro skip, considering that's part of the things that have been added/fixed in the PC version since release.

I'm going to ask here, as I'm not sure it is a known bug with the game, or something else entirely, but I recently downloaded this onto my laptop from GOG. It plays absolutely fine, but I keep getting an occasional screen tear with an accompanying chunky, rainbow effect line that will flicker on the screen.

Performance itself is absolutely fine, no slowdown, etc. Other games I play that are somewhat CPU/GPU intensive work absolutely fine. So could this be a game issue, corrupt data? Is it worth changing settings around to have a look?

17 minutes ago, aboyes1989 said:

I'm going to ask here, as I'm not sure it is a known bug with the game, or something else entirely, but I recently downloaded this onto my laptop from GOG. It plays absolutely fine, but I keep getting an occasional screen tear with an accompanying chunky, rainbow effect line that will flicker on the screen.

Performance itself is absolutely fine, no slowdown, etc. Other games I play that are somewhat CPU/GPU intensive work absolutely fine. So could this be a game issue, corrupt data? Is it worth changing settings around to have a look?

No this seems driver/GPU related. Couldn't say what or why, sorry, but it's not something we've seen or heard of before. Try switching to a different graphics API perhaps.

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

No this seems driver/GPU related. Couldn't say what or why, sorry, but it's not something we've seen or heard of before. Try switching to a different graphics API perhaps.

Ok cheers, yeah the default renderer is Vulkan. I'll give OpenGL a go as I never have issues with that. It's funny, the effect itself actually adds an extra element of creepiness to the game, but ideally I do want it running correctly haha

On 6/27/2022 at 1:43 AM, Redneckerz said:

Just wanted to note for anyone looking, it seems Doom 64 EX-Plus (along with Gibbon's many other maintained repositories) has been moved over to Sourceforge.

Is there any documentation for MAPINFO in this port? It's obviously similar to existing ports, but apparently there are some deviations I haven't figured out yet, e.g. how to make an episode stop prematurely without crashing the game.