Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

GLSpeed - Remake and expansion pack of the DOS game "Speed Haste" using id-tech1

My good sir, you keep surprising me every time with these wonderful works of yours!!!

(yes, I'm the guy who secretly wished someone would put the sources of Speed Haste to good use; but how'd I guess it would be idTech1-based/related?)

HAHAHA WTF ARE YOU EVEN FOR REAL WITH THIS

That is the right kind of crazy. I loved Speed Haste as a little Red toddler, and now you are recreating it on DelphiDoom.

Like... im geniunely speechless. @jval, if you aren't getting a Cacoward or even as much of a recognition there, then ill personally bribe NotJabba with whatever is necessary to get you onboard.

Absolutely mindbending. First XGreed, than Rad-X, and now GLSpeed.

A new maintenance release v.1.0.3.743 is available.

Downloads:

Executable: https://sourceforge.net/projects/speed-game/files/GLSpeed_1.0/GLSpeed_1.0.3.743_bin.zip/download

Source code: https://sourceforge.net/projects/speed-game/files/GLSpeed_1.0/GLSpeed_1.0.3.743_src.zip/download

Most important corrections and additions:

• Fixed UTF16 loading for custom content.
  • Fixed uncapped framerate bug for floor & ceiling offsets.
  • Fixed bug that could rarely cause infinite loop in DEHACKED lumps.
  • Faster and safer thread de-allocation.
  • It can use sound files in pk3 without WAD equivalent. Supported file formats are WAV, OGG, FLAC, OGA, AU, VOC & SND.
  • Speed optimizations to string manipulation.
  • Fixes to 3D floors collision logic.
  • Corrected bug that could cause flat textures to be rendered in wrong scale.

Complete change log:

Spoiler
  • Holds up to 2047 bytes for environment variables.
  • Fixed loading utf16 strings.
  • Fixed flags in A_ChangeVelocity() ACTORDEF function.
  • Fixed MF2_EX_CANTLEAVEFLOORPIC flag behavior.
  • Fixed uncapped framerate bug for floor & ceiling offsets.
  • Fixed PS_GetConsoleStr(), PS_GetConsoleInt() & PS_GetConsoleBool() PascalScript functions.
  • Corrected ACTORDEF parsing of goto keyword at the end of the actor definition.
  • Added GetSectorInterpolate() & SetSectorInterpolate() PascalScript functions.
  • Integer/float tolerance examines negative values in DEHACKED & ACTORDEF.
  • Fixed bug that could rarely cause infinite loop in DEHACKED lumps, also now recognizes correctly multiple SUBMITNEWFRAMES commands in DEHACKED
  • Faster and safer thread de-allocation.
  • Fixed problem with the "-" prefix in MF4_EX_xxx flags in ACTORDEF.
  • Fix gravity field inheritance in ACTORDEF declarations.
  • String and boolean evaluation in parameters of ACTORDEF functions.
  • Infinite state cycle error message will display the actor's name.
  • Evaluate actor flags in ACTORDEF functions parameters with the FLAG() function.
  • 3D floor collision logic corrections.
  • Auto fix interpolation for instant changes in sectors heights and texture offsets.
  • Added full_sounds console variable. When true, the mobjs will finish their sounds when removed.
  • Added MF4_EX_ALWAYSFINISHSOUND & MF4_EX_NEVERFINISHSOUND mobj flags to overwrite the full_sounds console variable.
  • Correct evaluation of angle in functions parameter's evaluation.
  • Use sound files in pk3 without WAD equivalent. Supported file formats are WAV, OGG, FLAC, OGA, AU, VOC & SND.
  • Support for the wait keyword in ACTORDEF.
  • "ACTIVE SOUND" alias for "ACTION SOUND" DEHACKED field.
  • "RADIUS" alias for "WIDTH" DEHACKED field.
  • Emulates correctly the ripple effect in OpenGL mode.
  • Small speed optimization to the OpenGL rendering.
  • Support for SPRITES dehacked keyword.
  • Speed optimizations to string manipulation.
  • Corrected flat scale for big flats.

Does it has any software analogs? Something with delphidoom renderer may be? Or does it uses too much "3D floors" and models?

Actually i would like to create a few voxel pixelated cars and those extra long (high) street lights)))

27 minutes ago, GRAU said:

Does it has any software analogs? Something with delphidoom renderer may be? Or does it uses too much "3D floors" and models?

Actually i would like to create a few voxel pixelated cars and those extra long (high) street lights)))

No, GLSpeed is an OpenGL-only source port. The software renderer can not work, since the game is full of 3d models. Also the expansion pack has additional content that it's "too heavy" for any software renderer. Even the OpenGL rendering struggles if you're using a build-in Intel GPU.

Strange. All screens. excluding the last 2 look primitive enough, but i respect your opinion.

Btw - any other "doom-like" games in plans for sourceporting?

9 minutes ago, GRAU said:

Strange. All screens. excluding the last 2 look primitive enough, but i respect your opinion.

The expansion pack content is "heavy", the original tracks are not. Also the software renderer can not handle 3d models.

9 minutes ago, GRAU said:

Btw - any other "doom-like" games in plans for sourceporting?

Currently there are other priorities, but I can thing of a couple of other games for a source port....

New version 1.0.4.745 is available!

Downloads

Executablehttps://sourceforge.net/projects/speed-game/files/GLSpeed_1.0/GLSpeed_1.0.4.745_bin.zip/download

Source codehttps://sourceforge.net/projects/speed-game/files/GLSpeed_1.0/GLSpeed_1.0.4.745_src.zip/download

What's new:

• Proper windowed mode
  • Some speed optimizations
  • Other small fixes and additions

Complete change log since previous release:

Spoiler

Use 64 characters long string for short names in PK3.
Fixed missileheight ACTORDEF export.
Fixed wrong coordinates check in sight check.
Fix of OPENARRAYOFU16 and OPENARRAYOFS16 declarations (PascalScript).
Fix ReadParameters not setting parameter parser positions even though ValidateParameters does use them (PascalScript).
Fixed misspelled of "joystick" in the menus.
Speed optimizations in R_PointToAngleEx().
Improved priority logic for sound channel selection.
Added support for tall patches in PNG format.
Added SPIN field in VOXELDEF lumps, it compines DROPPEDSPIN & PLACEDSPIN behavior.
Proper windowed mode.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

window-mode-glspeed.png

Although this feels like a poor man's Daytona USA, the fact that you made a source port for this is just too awesome to leave alone.

Also, sorry for the bump, but I've got two things to talk about;

• The menu option "Appearence" has a typo. The correct one should be "Appearance". (This also occurs in Mars3D.)
Spoiler

2056396333_Screenshot2022-10-19151652.png.8fdc57ace42afe6e3229bdf0d066b636.png194876416_Screenshot2022-10-13201240.png.df3e4255aff781c5ba57f30fe4d56b96.png

• Is the racetrack in E2M8 (The Hills, part of the expansion tracks you made) supposed to look like this? I'm convinced that this might've been a bug from another side.

Spoiler

1627653286_Screenshot2022-10-19151316.png.9812f9a6d9e05797c9a970a69bb83e36.png

Edited by taufan99

10 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Also, sorry for the bump, but I've got two things to talk about;

• The menu option "Appearence" has a typo. The correct one should be "Appearance". (This also occurs in Mars3D.)
  Hide contents

2056396333_Screenshot2022-10-19151652.png.8fdc57ace42afe6e3229bdf0d066b636.png194876416_Screenshot2022-10-13201240.png.df3e4255aff781c5ba57f30fe4d56b96.png

Thanks, fixed in the repository!

• Is the racetrack in E2M8 (The Hills, part of the expansion tracks you made) supposed to look like this? I'm convinced that this might've been a bug from another side.

Hide contents

1627653286_Screenshot2022-10-19151316.png.9812f9a6d9e05797c9a970a69bb83e36.png

No, this is totally wrong, and I get the same problem after deleting the flat cache. I work around it, thanks for reporting!

EDIT:

Work around:

Every new track in GLSpeed uses a huge virtual flat (4096x4096 px) named E2MxFLAT (created at runtime). The flat is cached to disk the first time you run GLSpeed, so it doesn't have to be created each time you run the game.

There is a problem with the E2M8 map, this track was originally designed to be the E1M9 (as a single bonus track to the original game), but later I decided to make a whole new championship (i.e. episode) and the track renamed to E2M8. Unfortunately I forgot to change the track flat, so that's why the problem appears. I couldn't notice the error since the flat was already cached in my PC as E1M9FLAT.  I'll fix it ASAP.

Edited by jval