Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da_maniaC

Slaughterwads - Anything we've missed?

On 11/19/2021 at 3:39 PM, CrocMagnum said:

Fruit Salad (6 Maps): great introduction to the slaughter genre. Direct link: 

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=45031 

Phmlspd: https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/Phmlspd  

SlaughterMAX: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/smax  

Fruit salad maps were quite small to be honest, haha (could've all been added into 1 map! 😊).

SlaughterMAX is already on the list.

Phmlspd: Are these maps (some slightly revamped already in another mappack? I could have sworn i have played these before..).

1 hour ago, Da_maniaC said:

Fruit salad maps were quite small to be honest, haha (could've all been added into 1 map! 😊).

SlaughterMAX is already on the list.

Phmlspd: Are these maps (some slightly revamped already in another mappack? I could have sworn i have played these before..).

Maps from phmlspd were taken and put into Chillax and then packed with monsters.

While I am not a fan of Slaughterwads for many reasons, I remember seeing a lot of very, very detailed WADs with high monster counts (very detailed and spacious = slaughterwad, as far as I have seen-), although I do not remember the names of them right now, and maybe they were added in the main post already, I also would prefer to not guess because if I am wrong it will be bad- but I can swear BridgeBurner and Insane Gazebo, I think someone else with a colourful space-themed WAD? constantly makes cool-looking slaughterwads

But yeah, right now I can not remember 100% to suggest you, bad memory problems, sorry

I updated the OP again with some of the later entries from this topic.

--

On a sidenote: i recently did another playthrough of DiE (Death in Excess) and i just have to give it to this .wad man! Most of these maps are huge and gobsmacking insane with the large fights that are in there. MAP32 pretty much gave me a run for my money even... 😀 Very impressive!

If anyone knows of other mappacks just like DiE , please do share them in this thread!

On 11/25/2021 at 4:36 PM, Archanhell said:

While I am not a fan of Slaughterwads for many reasons, I remember seeing a lot of very, very detailed WADs with high monster counts (very detailed and spacious = slaughterwad, as far as I have seen-), although I do not remember the names of them right now, and maybe they were added in the main post already, I also would prefer to not guess because if I am wrong it will be bad- but I can swear BridgeBurner and Insane Gazebo, I think someone else with a colourful space-themed WAD? constantly makes cool-looking slaughterwads

But yeah, right now I can not remember 100% to suggest you, bad memory problems, sorry

If you remember any of them and they are not listed in the OP, please feel free to let us know. 😊

--

Also, as another remark in this OP update; i am adding "Winter's Fury" to the list of "Slaughter-lite" maps.

I recently did another playthrough of this wad because the visuals are just so stunning...but there are actually a few fights in there that can be considered slaughter (its just...not the entire mappack is centered around slaughter, because there is a plot etc.).

I just want to comment as well on how beautiful this mappack is (from maps to modded graphics to bossfights!).

Actually the bossfights in Winter's Fury got me wondering...if you could remove the on-screen health bar. Most of these custom bosses/monsters would make for some insane slaughtermap enemies if you add several of them into a large arena. 😈

Edited by Da_maniaC

So anyone else that might have some new entries to our list? 
(This can also be old and/or unknown slaughter mappacks of course)!

We could use some new material. :)

50 minutes ago, Jacek Bourne said:

Have you done Entropy, Breathless, and Fractured Worlds by Nirvana?

Yep! We tried those too. Entropy was already in the OP (as was Fractured Worlds).
I will add Breathless too! 😊

New entries are welcome! 🙏

I actually got many of the entries for my thread here:

From your thread. But there might be something there you haven't played, IDK. Look towards the higher monster counts to find slaughtery stuff.

You might want to check out Occula:

On 11/26/2021 at 7:10 AM, Da_maniaC said:

If anyone knows of other mappacks just like DiE , please do share them in this thread!

You already have NoSp2 and Cosmogenesis by the same author in the list, but there's also a NoSp3 now, released late last year:

Do note that it uses the relatively recent MBF21 standard, and there aren't a whole lot of multiplayer-friendly source ports that support MBF21 yet (I think Odamex supports it, but I'm not sure what else).

NoReason also contributed MAP28 of Poogers, which as a whole isn't slaughter, but that particular map certainly is:

On 2/27/2022 at 8:28 PM, i suck at nicknames said:

Been playing Blue Age (a 2022 wad) nowadays, and alot of its maps very comfortably fit into the slaughter-map genre IMO. 

I checked this .wad and lets say its very progressive. The first 8-9 maps even got me wondering if i should finish since they are quite mediocre compared to some of the later maps. Its like this was someone's first project and they slowly got more experienced in making maps along the way. The direction of the .wad is very unclear to me though... there are regular maps, hard maps, micro hard maps, micro slaughter maps and then some slaughters maps (all mixed together throughout this mappack).

But, since it does contain at least 5 maps which i could consider slaughter i will add it to the list in the OP.

Will be checking out some other mappacks soon... work is kicking my ass lately!

On 3/1/2022 at 7:38 AM, Shepardus said:

You already have NoSp2 and Cosmogenesis by the same author in the list, but there's also a NoSp3 now, released late last year:

Do note that it uses the relatively recent MBF21 standard, and there aren't a whole lot of multiplayer-friendly source ports that support MBF21 yet (I think Odamex supports it, but I'm not sure what else).

We used GZDoom g4.5.0 for Coop and had no issues at all to be honest.

Edited by Da_maniaC

I think the later maps from Astroverse are considered slaughter (around MAP10+).

On 4/26/2021 at 10:53 PM, Blip said:
  • Dark Tartarus (The maps are batshit insane, but if you liked chillax I guess you'll like this one. It has like 45 maps)

It's not JUST "batshit insane" - it's on the clear pure trolling level. Also, maps are FUCKING. HUGE. It takes HOURS to beat one. And that's with OP mods like Russian Overkill. Expect a lot of path-blocking pillars and bars that takes several MINUTES to lower and backtracking through the entire map. Personally, I just gave up on that somewhere in the middle (map22 or something, I think), it's just hours and hours and hours of mind-numbing grinding through countless hordes (and that's, again, with OP mod), and it's only getting bigger and longer with every map. But the architecture is very impressive most of the time, I give you that. I still keep save[file], one day I might finish it - just to make sure that architecture stay cool to the end (I'm a visual person, I like pretty architecture very much).

On 4/27/2021 at 1:28 AM, P41R47 said:

-Deep into the massacre, a good one made last year. More in line with Hell Revealed but with bigger density, i think.

Primitive rectangular highly symmetrical design with hordes of monsters of the same type in strict rectangular formations, progress-stopping-dead four teleporters that don't work on map26 (no, even jumping won't save you here, unless, again, you play with mods that allow much higher jumping or straight flying/levitating). In short, your typical "my very first megaWAD" from someone who thinks that "harder=moar monsters=better" (including very cheap "right in ya face" huge trap closets, of course, because all cool kids do it). Almost all of the secrets are unmarked in terms of texturing, so expect to look at automap in every room and corridor (since there is little to nothing else here), unless you want to remember good old "humping every wall, all the walls, all the way" like back in the Wolf3D days. Very formulaic at best and just straight boring at worst. It evokes weird feeling - like you're playing through something rather [automatically] generated than something made by human, something old like SLIGE but on steroids (because even good old vanilla Oblige 7.0 without ObAddon generate much more interesting levels, and Obsidian elevates it to some unbelievable heights).

On 5/29/2022 at 4:42 AM, Spawn said:

......... Very formulaic at best and just straight boring at worst. It evokes weird feeling - like you're playing through something rather [automatically] generated than something made by human, something old like SLIGE but on steroids (because even good old vanilla Oblige 7.0 without ObAddon generate much more interesting levels, and Obsidian elevates it to some unbelievable heights).

Obsidian you say!? I tried my luck with Oblige, but could definitely recognise the recurring patterns there, but if Obsidian is that much better i am very curious to see what happens if i crank up all the parameters to slaughtermap. 😜

37 minutes ago, Da_maniaC said:

Obsidian you say!? I tried my luck with Oblige, but could definitely recognise the recurring patterns there, but if Obsidian is that much better i am very curious to see what happens if i crank up all the parameters to slaughtermap.

Oh, play it long enough and you will see the recurring patterns, but since Obsidian has much more shape rules, much more prefabs (decorated walls and singular free-standing architectural objects), much more custom textures & flats and a better randomizer - it will take much longer. I once put everything about size and height on maximum, everything else about architecture on random, maxed up monster quantity and monster strength (6.66 and 12 correspondingly, with 1 supposed to representing Doom II on HMP), and got me some long ledges and cages full of archies, like, dozens of them on/in just one. Just remember that, just like it's parent Oblige, on default settings Obsidian treating Pain Elemental as some kind of boss and thus it appear very rare, and rarely put in Spider Mastermind due to its sheer size, and since there is still no Wolf theme for levels, it won't use SS troopers unless you enable it (i.e. "Default" on their tab means you'll never see them).

That's basics, and since this thread about maps, I think any further conversation is better be in PMs, if you like.

On 6/5/2022 at 1:16 PM, Nefelibeta said:

Dance on the Water just came out recently. Absolutely insane stuff. (Also with platforming maps ;)   )

Do you happen to have a link where i can find the very latest version? We tried the - what i thought was - most recent version but most of the maps were empty monuments where nothing worked. So i think this was still a much earlier release..

4 hours ago, Da_maniaC said:

Do you happen to have a link where i can find the very latest version? We tried the - what i thought was - most recent version but most of the maps were empty monuments where nothing worked. So i think this was still a much earlier release..

Supposedly the /idgame version is the latest.

Question- Why is Italo Doom not considered slaughter?

10 hours ago, SuyaSS said:

Because different people have different definitions of "slaughter".

On 7/17/2022 at 4:28 AM, Nefelibeta said:

Supposedly the /idgame version is the latest.

Thanks, we'll check it out

On 7/17/2022 at 1:48 PM, SuyaSS said:

If i compare Italo Doom to something like Cosmogenesis or nosp2/nosp3.wad that's really a different story if you ask me. But Italo Doom is still listed in the section of maps which we do not consider to be (extreme) slaughter.
I will add the notion to the OP that these are mostly 'micro-slaughter' or just 'very hard' wads.

On 7/20/2022 at 3:52 PM, Bdubzzz said:

This wad is a chillax inspired wad, don't think its been mentioned here 

We just finished checking this out, its actually really good! Nice job on following the same 'style'.

+ Added to the OP