Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

What are you listening to?

1 minute ago, Cynical said:

@Steve D, metalcore and crossover thrash are very different things.  Metalcore is bullshit evolved from nu-metal; whiny trash with a more biting guitar tone and the occasional tough-guy breakdown.  It's really neither hardcore nor metal; it's just garbage.

(Also, no mention of D.R.I. or Cro-Mags in your crossover thrash listing?  HERESY!)

Thank you!!!!!!

I was thinking numetal, too, which can also be defined as, "weak emo metal." You're right, what little I've heard definitely sounds nothing like hardcore punk or hardcore metal. It's just . . . I don't know what to say except maybe repulsive? :D

The Wiki article on metalcore also lists Discharge and Bad Brains -- arguably the two greatest punk bands of all time -- as progenitors. If metalcore actually came from such roots, it would not sound like Earth Crisis or Shai Hulud. Oh, well.

I hang my head in shame for not listing D.R.I. and Cro-Mags, but at least I did mention other crossover thrash bands from those cities. :D

3 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I hang my head in shame for not listing D.R.I. and Cro-Mags, but at least I did mention other crossover thrash bands from those cities. :D

No you didn't -- D.R.I. are originally from Houston!  Don't try to claim them as a So-Cal band when talking to a Texan!

23 minutes ago, Cynical said:

No you didn't -- D.R.I. are originally from Houston!  Don't try to claim them as a So-Cal band when talking to a Texan!

Okay, you got me! ;D

Edit: Whoops! I forgot to add, my apologies. I'm a regionalist, too. These things matter.

Edited by Steve D

48 minutes ago, Mayhem666 said:

That's really awesome from a band that is nearly 50 years old. 

Exactly that! I too was pleasantly surprised when I listened to the song.

@Mayhem666 Emperor/Wrath of the Tyrant compilation with the remastered sound is probably my favorite Emperor release. Ihsahn's vocals have never been as passionate and full of energy like on the EP afterwards, they changed to inhuman snarls on Nightside and later into something more generic.

This and Ravenous might very well be my favorite GD albums. They've never been as black metal as they were on these albums ever again.