Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

What are you listening to?

On 9/11/2022 at 12:15 AM, Rudolph said:

To my surprise, there was a track recorded for Roger WatersPink Floyd's The Final Cut that did not make it into the official release:

Speaking of The Final Cut, I now realize that it is essentially a sequel to The Wall mostly made of material that either was not used in the album or was composed specifically for the movie adaptation (namely "When The Tigers Broke Free"). I call it a sequel, because for the most part, it tells the story of the Teacher from The Wall. There is something quite poignant about the way the album manages to flesh out a previously unlikable character and in doing so make him come across as sympathetic - not by excusing his abusive behavior towards his students as depicted in The Wall, but rather by showing where his own anger and bitterness come from and how he too is made to suffer by post-war Britain's cruel and uncaring society.

I actually remember reading a little about The Final Cut, however I haven't listened to it. When I was still in high school I heard some news about Roger Waters being asked whether the Falkland Islands should be British or Argentine and him saying something about being ashamed of his country's colonial past and that the islands should be Argentine. Being from Argentina myself I can tell you that back when Roger shared his opinion on the subject it caused quite a hoopla, and I did some research and found out that he had already referenced the subject in a song from The Final Cut decades earlier.

Personally I don't share much his attitude because I don't see his country's past being something that should have a weight on his consciousness or anyone's. It's dead people's baggage. As for the Falklands, well, territorial disputes are always going to be a thing and my opinion about wars over them is cynical kind of like James Maynard Keenan singing "Monkey, killing monkey, killing monkey over pieces of the ground" in a Tool song. I might listen soon to The Final Cut to see what else is in there, funnily I listened to all of Pink Floyd's studio albums from 1967 until 1979 so I might as well listen to the other three or four albums I haven't heard yet.

Hivelords, Grand cromlech, Upon arrival at the grim structure.
a2778487460_16.jpg

Ditto.

Daniel Goyone, 2, Trilogue.
2.jpg

French jazz rock.

Edited by ducon

Daniel Goyone, Lueurs bleues, Bouche d’or.
JZ101013-03.jpg

Jazz , less rock, more classical.

Now that I've finally moved house, my first priority was to reassemble the stereo

20220926-160539-1.jpg

The album is Sleep No More by The Comsat Angels. A certain well-known Irish rock band kind of stole their entire sound and made a career out of it.

2 hours ago, VisionThing said:

The album is Sleep No More by The Comsat Angels. A certain well-known Irish rock band kind of stole their entire sound and made a career out of it.

U2? The Pogues? The Cranberries? Rory Gallagher? Thin Lizzy?

Lhasa, La LLorona, El desierto.
La-llorona.jpg

Hispanic folk.

The Omete players, Plowin’ the New Year, Aulds land what?
a1397530533_2.jpg

Country music, live.

Edited by ducon