Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

Voxelizer - Create voxels and sprites from md2 models

Recommended Posts

I gotta give this a try. I may do some Quake 2 models. Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post

Really impressive work!

 

One thing to point out for anyone looking to use this for GZDoom though: as I understand it, GZDoom automatically renders all Voxels as models in-game, so it's more efficient to convert the resulting Voxel back to a model if you're going to use it in a GZDoom-targeted mod/mapset.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Really impressive work!

 

One thing to point out for anyone looking to use this for GZDoom though: as I understand it, GZDoom automatically renders all Voxels as models in-game, so it's more efficient to convert the resulting Voxel back to a model if you're going to use it in a GZDoom-targeted mod/mapset.

 

The same does DelphiDoom in OpenGL mode. In such cases the voxel conversion has meaning for aesthetics reasons...

Share this post


Link to post

Will you add the ability for it to export models with 16 rotations ? Since ZDoom based ports and some others also support 16 sprite angles.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Thanks for that tool. Actually there IS a tool (or even 2 tools) named voxelizer, here:

https://drububu.com/miscellaneous/voxelizer/?out=obj

 

and here:

 

https://voxelizer.com/

 

May be you should select another name? Or this is allright, from the licensing side??

And here - i found a few things that are realy needed or important to fix.

 

1) i tried one of my models and found out that on export dialog the model is located in very small part of voxel. So i need to go to model editor, scale it somehow maybe, and hope it will get into canvass. And what about making the pivot offset and the SCALE options on export dialog?

 

2) i exported the model into vox and fount that it uses DOOM palete. And i need to use my own. Could you make an option for that?

 

838556430_.png.12b64ded0328ffd265d57a70703d156f.png

 

and here is the preview of original model - see how bad are colors on the head?

 

755515379_.png.254745ceaaec36f748abbf77272b6b74.png

 

3) The skin is set in the wrong way in voxelizer. May be that is because this model uses 256x512 but not the square form of skin. Look - to the left is the usual MD2 editor. And nearby to the right is voxelizer - see the difference?

 

2036145523_.png.883c7a662c8495725b84bfd69a3efc0b.png

 

4) And the last, optional but very usefull thing..  It would be nice to have an option to export ALL the frames, each one into a single voxel, for example i set a name for basic voxel - rat.vox, but it creates frames like that - rat_001.vox, rat_002.vox etc. Can you do all that?

Edited by GRAU

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/27/2021 at 4:28 PM, jval said:

 

The same does DelphiDoom in OpenGL mode. In such cases the voxel conversion has meaning for aesthetics reasons... 

didn't you thought about rendering voxels in opengl, like EDuke does? Or may be like it is done in soft - prerender the voxel into sprite and after that - put the resulting image to the scene. Cubes are NOT the thing the voxels have to look at, i belive. But the square flat 1-pixel dots - are the best way to show voxels..

Share this post


Link to post

For some reason some models that I converted from quake 1 to quake 2 format have this weird warping effect on the textures, is there a fix to this?

image.png.d59724799d4d751de7ad1e0cbb1e83ae.png

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/13/2021 at 8:36 PM, KILLA DIO said:

For some reason some models that I converted from quake 1 to quake 2 format have this weird warping effect on the textures, is there a fix to this?

image.png.d59724799d4d751de7ad1e0cbb1e83ae.png

 

I belive this problem is caused, because voxelizer supports OK only skins with resolutions powered of 2, but quqake 1 models use skins with 320 x 200 pixels resolution or smething like that.

 

Actually i need a palete choise in voxel-export options. I have a lot of colors in my models that look awfull in doom palete, but they may look nice if i lkoad my own palete. Jval, ca you please add this small option?

Share this post


Link to post

Time for a small update:

 

Version 1.0.3.31

 

Downloads:

Executable: https://sourceforge.net/projects/voxelizer/files/VOXELIZER_1.0/VOXELIZER_1.0.3.31_bin.zip/download

Source Code: https://sourceforge.net/projects/voxelizer/files/VOXELIZER_1.0/VOXELIZER_1.0.3.31_src.zip/download

 

What's new:

  • Added support for external palettes.
  • Added GLSpeed palette.
  • Batch conversion of all md2 model frames (stores them in ZIP/PK3 file).
  • Optionally can use multiple threads. (experimental, disabled by default)

Screenshots:

Spoiler


v6.png

 

v8.png


 

 

 

On 5/13/2021 at 12:27 AM, GRAU said:

2) i exported the model into vox and fount that it uses DOOM palete. And i need to use my own. Could you make an option for that?

 

11 hours ago, GRAU said:

Actually i need a palete choise in voxel-export options. I have a lot of colors in my models that look awfull in doom palete, but they may look nice if i lkoad my own palete. Jval, ca you please add this small option?

 

On 5/13/2021 at 12:27 AM, GRAU said:

4) And the last, optional but very usefull thing..  It would be nice to have an option to export ALL the frames, each one into a single voxel, for example i set a name for basic voxel - rat.vox, but it creates frames like that - rat_001.vox, rat_002.vox etc. Can you do all that?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Well i tried some models and found some allready known bug is still here:

 

image.png.c430a06cf8ca3833f5965e4af91b8ff2.png

 

when the model skin is not of a square form, but is rectangle (has 512 x 256, 256 x 128 etc - it resizes the skin in the skin preview field, but i see on the model that uv map coordinates are not resized as well, or may be resized with some loses. Next image is the right preview - how this model has to look:

 

image.png.cb64bb3f35286741765aac4cc56a852f.png

 

I will ad here a zip with the model and its skin inside.

 

RAT.zip

 

Please take a look when you will have some time.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Oh damn.. I tested models with square skins. And we have thee same problems - now i am sure - the problem is wuth uv coordinates but why do some of them look ok  and other - like those mecanic legs p do nit know((

 

image.png.2b452a454285d78c8daa201f633fc181.png

 

Btw - the hands have defects too(( Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, GRAU said:

Oh damn.. I tested models with square skins. And we have thee same problems - now i am sure - the problem is wuth uv coordinates but why do some of them look ok  and other - like those mecanic legs p do nit know((

 

 

Fixed in 1.0.4.32, thanks for the md2 attachment.

 

Downloads:

Executable: https://sourceforge.net/projects/voxelizer/files/VOXELIZER_1.0/VOXELIZER_1.0.4.32_bin.zip/download

Source code: https://sourceforge.net/projects/voxelizer/files/VOXELIZER_1.0/VOXELIZER_1.0.4.32_src.zip/download

 

It was a problem with UV coordinates, not with the texture dimensions.

The internal model representation was merging vertexes with the same XYZ coordinates but unfortunately with different UV coordinates. Added a check and now it only merges vertexes with both same XYZ coordinates and UV coordinates.

 

Here is how it looks now:

Spoiler

uv-fix.png

 

 

Edited by jval

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×