Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

YouTube ads are amazing

What is your experience of YouTube ads?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about YouTube ads?

• They're great! They tailor to my interests.
    • They're not bad; sometimes there's something that catches my attention
    • I don't really pay attention to them / I am indifferent to them
    • they're kind of irritating.
    • Uhhhhh.... they're annoying as hell?

my remedy is not using youtube :P

But that ad about Joyce Carol Oates explaining how damaging is interrupting and distracting a writer while writing, its the best ad/anti-ad i seen in my life.

A prolific writer saying how bad is being interrupted or annoyed, and being use as an annoying interruption during an annoying ad that interrupt the little time you have to interrupt yourself from being annoyed from writing...

HA! just marvelous!

don't know if it was intentional, but it made me laugh my ass out of the chair haha.

Only time I ever pay attention to them is on the rare occasion its a movie trailer I haven't seen which is like 3 times ever.

I had a few adblockers just stop working on me sometimes. I wonder why that happens when I never mess with the settings?

13 hours ago, Hellbent said:

Compared to ads on traditional FM radio

I do not mind most radio ads at all, honestly. If I do have the radio on, it's because I'm in the middle of the boondocks without a phone signal and wanting some background noise. And a sweet husky narrator voice makes for good background noise. Only the ones full of silly sound bits and screaming persons are annoying.

UBLOCK and ADBLOCK on my PC and browser with ANTI-ad integrated for my phone.

they are annoying no way they are amazing, specially when ads last longer than the video you watch, but boy the ads i really hate so much are those freaking new artists ads, i know they try to sucess and all but hell why it have to be freaking reggeton? i hate it!!!

1 hour ago, OpenRift said:

I wanna know who the fuck is voting "not bad"

The OP and his/her alt.

Duh.

:P

No, seriously, I get really good ads. I often watch ads beyond the 5 seconds before I can skip them. Yes, I'm talking about ads that pop up randomly or at the start of the video; not sponsored ads. I really like the Masterclass ones. They're just fun to watch even if I don't have any intention of buying a masterclass. I also like the nutritional ones like Mudwater. Sasquatch body wash? ad is fun. Most ads are stuff I'd consider buying. A recent one is a scale that measures your fat and muscle content (don't ask me how; it uses eletrical signals to) and as a cyclist I think that is really cool! It would be fun to see my fat percent go down and muscle percentage go up during a training block. 

I have seen a few good or interesting ones (one time i got an ad for aviation radars, how cool is that?), but for a good while whenever i watch a video on my phone's youtube app they are so irritating and intrusive sometimes i'd rather burn in hell than to actually go through that torture. No, i'm not interested in kwai or tiktok or whatever fucking awful social media app there is with people posting stupid videos doing stupid dances to stupid songs. When there were only ads at the start at the video, skippable after 5 seconds it was fine. But now you get multiple ads, sometimes one after another, and some times unskippable, i don't really want to ever use that cesspit of a website without an adblocker ever again.

1 hour ago, Hellbent said:

I also like the nutritional ones like Mudwater. Sasquatch body wash? ad is fun.

The Sasquatch body wash one, or what ever it's called is pretty funny I have to admit.

We need more Flex Seal though. :D

Aside from that. "funny ones" I can't really stand the ads too much.

As it's, if anyone is around when they pop up you'll likely hear.. "oh fucking ad..".

Interesting to see how many diverse ads others get. While at work I get spammed with grammerly or whatever it's called, obviously because it picks up more professionalism in my history and searches.

I always have adblocker at home but if I use a youtube app on my phone I can't avoid the ads. Shit I don't remember what they're about despite often being repeats of the same boring and usually irrelevant shit.

Once I got an interesting ad where it used the exact song I had in my playlist, this happened more than once. Coincidence maybe, but I suspect the algorithms may have influenced it. Suffice to say it got my attention, but still no business from me. I think it was a game... overwatch maybe? Whatever the kids are into these days.

I don’t enjoy ads either but I’m sure I’ll get piled on for this; if you don’t like ads and you don’t want to pay for something then you leave the bag being held by those who do pay or don’t block ads.

My personal opinion is that people need to deprogram themselves from the “free***” model and try to remember what things used to cost (software, media, etc). Things cost money to make and the pursuit of 0 end-user invoices has only led to an ad-ridden and outrage-driven landscape with content creators bearing the financial brunt of it and the public bearing the social brunt of it.

There needs to be a reprogramming of perceived value that doesn’t come from a select few knowing how to block ads and leave everyone else propping up the system. And unfortunately that reprogramming will involve once again having to pay for things you think are worth paying for and skipping those that you don’t.

2 hours ago, Hellbent said:

No, seriously, I get really good ads. I often watch ads beyond the 5 seconds before I can skip them. Yes, I'm talking about ads that pop up randomly or at the start of the video; not sponsored ads. I really like the Masterclass ones. They're just fun to watch even if I don't have any intention of buying a masterclass. I also like the nutritional ones like Mudwater. Sasquatch body wash? ad is fun. Most ads are stuff I'd consider buying. A recent one is a scale that measures your fat and muscle content (don't ask me how; it uses eletrical signals to) and as a cyclist I think that is really cool! It would be fun to see my fat percent go down and muscle percentage go up during a training block. 

are you okay

signal to us if you're being held hostage by a marketing team

24 minutes ago, insertwackynamehere said:

My personal opinion is that people need to deprogram themselves from the “free***” model and try to remember what things used to cost (software, media, etc). Things cost money to make and the pursuit of 0 end-user invoices has only led to an ad-ridden and outrage-driven landscape with content creators bearing the financial brunt of it and the public bearing the social brunt of it.

google literally makes tens of billions of dollars every fiscal quarter, youtube's cost of running is a drop in the bucket compared to what they make.

Edited by roadworx

I think Youtube just wants to punish me for using DuckDuckGo all the time, and that's why it just keeps throwing three of the same ads at me on repeat. When I go in private browsing mode and watch Youtube logged out, the ads are damn near fascinating in comparison. I've found out about a fair bunch of interesting things through youtube ads... and just about ALL of it was while I was logged out.

All this is just convincing me to never advertise on Google ads, cause it's way too unlikely that my product will get shown to its intended recipient. I guess that just means even more ad space for megacorps... a shame, since ads, like most things, are a fairly reasonable and benevolent in theory.

I only watch YT on mobile, usually about 3 to 4 hours a day on average because I watch videos while playing video games in the background, and I only hate ads because the music is so ridiculously soulless and awful. The cliche poppy and bland scatter of noise drives me mad. And as for sponsors, I actually love watching YouTubers I like and support promote their sponsors, and yeah they can be annoying and they probably dont actually use the products irl, but it makes me happy that they're making a bag, especially when it's a smaller youtuber that I've seen grow over the years.

If you watch YouTube without an ad blocker, then you're either a grandma who doesn't know what an adblocker is, or you're just really dumb.

23 hours ago, Hellbent said:

In fairness, you do make a compelling case. I think you might also enjoy any of Novo Nordisk's commercials, or that Humira one with the band (a perennial favourite on a leading ad appreciation forum). And those two-minute commercials that are considerate enough to give you plenty of time to write the phone number down, such as Car Shield and Medicare plans.

You might also like some British Public Information Films:

Advertisements can get to fuck. They're purely out to manipulate you into buying their product. That is their primary overriding function. I'm not saying advertisements can't be funny or entertaining, or that a lot of hard work never goes into them. But I can never escape the feeling that any genuine talent involved is going to waste.

I'm less bothered about "sponsor spots" though, because it seems like most content creators are pretty good about not taking the piss. I think that they have a direct incentive not to muck their audiences about, unlike the algorithmically served adverts that get jammed in by Google.

So I just use uBlock Origin and skip through any sponsor segments I find boring.

I hate them. In Russian YouTube ad is so cringe. 

Fortunately, I installed an AdBlock in my Chrome.

But in mobile version of YouTube I can't do it. So, in mobile phone I forced to watch YouTube videos with ad.

Another example: there is a cyclist I follow on Strava, Ted King, who rides in Vermont (so not that far from where I ride--same part of the Universe at least). I think he was former pro? Anyway, he broke his collarbone yesterday during a ride. Just now, while I'm watching a cycling video on YT an ad pops up featuring Ted King. Sure, I don't know him personally, but given that I gain inspiration from the epic rides he posts on Strava and given that he just had a bad crash, it's kinda cool to watch an ad with him in it. This would not happen in the olden days watching TV or listening to radio where the ads are whatever the programmers of their respective stations choose to put on, which were generally ads for things you didn't need or weren't healthy for you (as a youngster seeing Tide and Snickers ads over and over, for example, got kind of old. 

I suppose part of the reason I get good ads tailored to my interests is that I tell google whenever it asks me that it may use my location and use my data for whatever it wants. BTW, I have not voted in the poll yet. 

@Grazza those were kind of entertaining/interesting/informative. I didn't watch to the end but the one that stuck with me the most was the child being hit at 30mph vs 40mph. Interesting info, that.

If you get hit at 30mph as a pedestrian you have an 80% chance of survival. If you get hit at 40mph, you have an 80% chance at dying.