Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Old-Doomguy

Finally a real mobile Doom with ads and microtransactions!

So I just downloaded Mighty Doom of the app store and tried it out. 

So it's a cartoonish shooter where you move the doomguy around a small area with a few enemies. In order to shoot you just stop touching the display. He'll stand still and autofire. You'll be rewarded with currencies and abilities for killing demons. When the room is cleared you just move to a transition point and Doomguy the Slayer enters a new room which is almost identical save for some different obstacles and enemy placements. 

If you're lucky you'll get the chance to do a glory kill in which you will get some healing. If not, well then you'll eventually die. When you do die you can use currency to revive or watch an ad. After watching the ad you should be revived but in my case the app froze on a screen just saying "connecting". Of course it froze AFTER the ad. The only aspect that works really good is actually the adverts and the ability to buy currency with real money. 

Other than the character resembling Doomguy and the fact that there are glory kills, there's nothing more that even resembles classic or nu-doom in anyway. 

It is of course published by Bethesda. 

I tried it out so you don't have to. 

i dont have anything against the game but... why? why was it made? its so weird becase doom has an official port for mobile if they wanted money they could make it ftp and put some ads into it in the status screen or in the menu and thats it you have a free doom game for mobile that doesnt have to compromise since its literaly doom on mobile

That sounds like some sort of satire of mobile games but like as an actual thing to make money. That is just rancid.

Good thing that you tried the game to share your opinions about it, which helps to other people.

However, while the microtransactions are just a thing that I roll my eyes and move on like nothing, the ads can go to hell. Seriously....WHY???

7 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Seriously....WHY???

99% of all the questions in the world had only one answer...

MONEY!

They should have made a more DOOM-y game. It now just looks like a regular mobile game. They should have modeled it after the real doom with Arena fights to make it more of a mobile game, and in First-person to make it more like DOOM. 

Why does something as great as Doom got to lay in the claws of such evil corporations as Bethesda-
It's a cruel world we live in.

Yeah it's pretty much a generic mobile shooter with the standard currency/energy etc. Probably a reskin of some other generic shooter made in Unity.

8 minutes ago, Old-Doomguy said:

Yeah it's pretty much a generic mobile shooter with the standard currency/energy etc. Probably a reskin of some other generic shooter made in Unity.

Does that game have a gacha mechanic?

14 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Does that game have a gacha mechanic?

I find it funny how "gacha" is quite close to "gotcha", as in "gotcha money, suckers!"

14 hours ago, Chip said:

They should have made a more DOOM-y game.

They should not have made this """game""" at all.

5 hours ago, NoXion said:

I find it funny how "gacha" is quite close to "gotcha", as in "gotcha money, suckers!"

Now I'll call Gacha at map 20 of Doom 2. Thanks :D

5 hours ago, Gez said:

They should not have made this """game""" at all.

I agree, but they did, and I feel like what they did make looks sort of dumb and repetitive. the actual DOOM game never gets old. I feel like they could have made an actually great game if they put effort into it rather than copying and pasting this game.

21 minutes ago, Chip said:

I agree, but they did, and I feel like what they did make looks sort of dumb and repetitive. the actual DOOM game never gets old. I feel like they could have made an actually great game if they put effort into it rather than copying and pasting this game.

well, as a gacha game that is aimed for the kiddies while the adulties play the real deal and fullfil their power fantasies on the hard earned consoles, i think its just OK.
It is fun when you don't have nothing to play.

Problem is that is surely needs internet connection to play, as most gacha games, and thats a big let down as the best moment to play it is when you are waiting for something, but probably you will not have internet connection to play it :P

It's literally the exact same as Archero, which TR already copied entirely. (Sure they're technically licensing the game engine or something but it's blatantly the same game.)

I'd rather have either Doom 3 Resurrection get an Android port (Since I'm on Android and can't play it.) or even just re-releases of the Doom RPG games instead honestly. (Also on Android.)

@P41R47 thanks for the extra info. guess this game is worse than I even thought. It makes sense since all these companies care about now is just money over entertainment. sort of sad :( 

Anyway, I don't plan on ever buying this or any future games like this. I don't play the nu-Doom games, but I don't imagine there are many games left in the series, and it would be awful if Beth sent off Doomguy through a pay-to-win game. If they do, we as a community should make a huge WAD to send off Doomguy in a satisfying way. But, that's a while from now. 

16 minutes ago, Chip said:

@P41R47 thanks for the extra info. guess this game is worse than I even thought. It makes sense since all these companies care about now is just money over entertainment. sort of sad :( 

Anyway, I don't plan on ever buying this or any future games like this. I don't play the nu-Doom games, but I don't imagine there are many games left in the series, and it would be awful if Beth sent off Doomguy through a pay-to-win game. If they do, we as a community should make a huge WAD to send off Doomguy in a satisfying way. But, that's a while from now. 

Gacha games are not that bad if you decide on never pay to win.

You have a certain amount of ''energy'' that depletes with every action you take. The harder the map, the more energy you use.

So, you have a limited set of actions per day. The good, is that this energy replenish after a few hours if you depletes it completely.

There usually a lot to do aside from the main quest on these games, and so, you can almost play it without touching the main game on months.

Probably it will get a lot of updates with even PvP ranking, and different gameplay modes, maybe one kinda like a FPS.

I say all of this as i play Dx2: Shin megami Tensei since my wife gifted me a new cellphone for my birthday in march of 2020, and from that day, i'm still playing it.
Its really good, there are rewards for almost anything you make, and so, there are a lot of things to buy with in-game currency. It gets addictive for sure, as the more you play, the more you will earn acces to better things.

Obviously, in these kind of games, the one who pay will have the best from the get go, but you can play it enough to have the best in the game by just earning it with constant playing and pure effort.

Unfortunatelly, Mighty Doom is still not downloadable on my country, so i can't say if what i described applies to it.

But i will not say no to a game that have Doom in it name, its official, free to play and kinda addictive.
Surely i will download it and play it a lot when it comes to my country :)

Honestly I wouldn't blame Bethesda for getting in on the gacha craze with a recognizable IP.

This is entirely on Apple and Google.  These games are the kind of junk that makes them money on their stores, and they alone have the power to stop this.  If they wanted to de-prioritize gacha games or even ban lootboxes for being gambling they would.  But they don't - because they don't care.  They get a slice of the proceeds, who cares about fostering an ecosystem of games that actually have mechanics and aren't trying to siphon every last dollar you have out of your wallet.

Oh no fuck me. I thought this was a shitpost thread at first and then I looked it up on YouTube and it's actually fucking real. I'm kind of heartbroken and un-surprised they'd stoop this low, chalk it up to me trying to unlearn my past consoomerist care for a series that was long dead to me after Doom 3 since imho nuDoom as a whole just feels extremely corporate and disgusting to me and an extreme caricature and misunderstanding of the classic Doom games.

welp. it was only inevitable; it's owned by a corporation after all. regardless, it still pisses me off

i hope the execs who decided this choke to death on their cigars

9 hours ago, Gregory Stephens said:

Oh no fuck me. I thought this was a shitpost thread at first and then I looked it up on YouTube and it's actually fucking real. I'm kind of heartbroken and un-surprised they'd stoop this low, chalk it up to me trying to unlearn my past consoomerist care for a series that was long dead to me after Doom 3 since imho nuDoom as a whole just feels extremely corporate and disgusting to me and an extreme caricature and misunderstanding of the classic Doom games.

1. oh god no it's you again jim
2. It makes money, so what's the fuckin' problem?! You can't boycott them, so give them your money and start SUCKIN' BILL GATES OFF!

On 4/30/2021 at 11:09 PM, Samz707 said:

It's literally the exact same as Archero, which TR already copied entirely. (Sure they're technically licensing the game engine or something but it's blatantly the same game.)

I'd rather have either Doom 3 Resurrection get an Android port (Since I'm on Android and can't play it.) or even just re-releases of the Doom RPG games instead honestly. (Also on Android.)

You can, look up delta touch on the play store 

Related question: has anyone gotten analog support working in prBoom for RetroArch?

2 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

20210612_001346.png

This isn't real, right?

Because I call bullshit. 

Especially the misspelled "someone"