Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whybmonotacrab

Best Map 07 (Or Dead Simple Clone if it falls in another map slot)?

What's your favourite Map 07 or Dead Simple clone in general if it happens to fall on a different map slot? Mine is almost definitely The Mancubian Candidate from Valiant. Excellent subversion of the trope, great name, and just a hell of a time. Also, Plutonia's map 07 is pretty ace too.

Erik Alm was a fan of map07: Dead Simple, but he never was able to make a clone of it that good. While making Scythe and Scythe 2, he made more than 40 different maps trying to make the perfect Dead Simple...and he failed!
It was thanks to Dobu Gabu Maru that those maps were unearthed and bring to the public.

Only got the 4 big wads and Scythe to work off of for this, so really that's 3 dead simple maps and TNT's Prison. Caughtyard and Dead Simple are close, if the arachnotrons in Plutonia's map 7 were more of a factor it would beat out Doom 2's Dead Simple easily but they're kinda just there to waste some ammo and maybe get a lucky shot on you. Scythe's map 7 is just a rancid rancid map. Just absolutely foul.

I liked Alien Vendetta MAP07 a lot, and Freedoom Phase 2 will be getting a new MAP07 in the next release that also looks promising.

3 hours ago, P41R47 said:

While making Scythe and Scythe 2, he made more than 40 different maps trying to make the perfect Dead Simple...and he failed!
It was thanks to Dobu Gabu Maru that those maps were unearthed and bring to the public.

Wait what? Where did you get this info?

2 minutes ago, dmslr said:

Wait what? Where did you get this info?

Judging by the /idgames post, it was an April Fool's joke. It's not actually Erik Alm's work, that's just a false premise to create a Dead Simple Community Project.

My personal favorite MAP07 is in Slaughterfest 2012

I was little bit shocked when i played it first time ;)

Hard for me to say but I did like Glaive's map 7, and it seems there are other good map 7s that I have not played yet personally.

The one in Sunlust. Mostly because I like the idea of having one half of the usual Dead Simple format being a secret quest to unlock an extra fight and an early BFG

I liked the Doom 64 version map09: Even Simpler, but I‘m sure there are better ones.

Would be fun if all the Dead Simple  remakes/retakes would be combined into a megawad so that you could play them one after the other.

Then play Dark Scythe, as that is essentially what it is. Fun little April fools project but some good contributions all the same. 

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/sf2012

Old community made slaughtermap set. Kind of liked this map 07 clone. Even if the first section is literally map 07 

Edited by bLOCKbOYgAMES : because I just went back and played it, and while good fun, you have to know the map and where to go or some of the fights are just bad. Aaaaah slaughtermaps.

Mancubian Candidate for sure. It's the most interesting take on the Dead Simple formula I've seen, full stop.

Honorable mention to PRCP's Map07 (Joshy's "Caughtisle") for cleverly using the special to force a Cyberdemon fight -- it's blocking a telepad where a manc appears, so you gotta clear out the cybie first before you can progress through the map. Maybe not the fanciest thing ever, but it's nice seeing a boss monster get treated like one in a vanilla map.

Aside from what's already mentioned:

Unusual friendship from Cyberdreams is super cute and the only cyberdreams level to incorporate infighting really. Remote Island from Fragport is well-organized while slightly incoporating the tags for the maze section.

I have always loved Goetia by @Roofi in Tangerine Nightmare.  It doesn't follow the standard Dead Simple formula at all, and it's a bit of a puzzle to hunt down all the mancubus, but it's a very interesting puzzle in a very atmospheric map.  10/10

I would probably say doom 2's the way id did's map 7 was really cool. Throwing a spider-mastermind was a fun surprise and the map layout was was more then just square rooms

I liked the one from Congestion 1024, frantic and you have to be moving constantly due to the cramped nature of the map. AV also has a very memorable one for me.

Valiant's "the mancubian candidate" and BTSX's "metal mothers". The latter of which is actually my new favorite map 07 :D