Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nanami

Texture Search

A little help would be appreciated here. I'm looking for a couple textures for my wad file(s). I'd prefer if these were in .bmp format, but it'd be just as well if it was already in a wad file and I could extract it. I also want these to NOT cover any existing textures and be textures I can add to a wad file without getting rid of anything.

1) Glass. Y'know, it's mostly see-through and has those white streaks to let you know there's glass there. Preferrably 64 units high.

2) Lava flow. Like BFALL or SFALL, but with lava. I'm not sure if this is possible without deleting any existing textures. Is it possible to make animated textures without replacing existing ones?

3) If the above is possible, I'd also like a water and slime version.

4) I've seen a mixture MARBFAC3/STONE texture before, anyone know where I can get it and other like textures? Perhaps a big texture wad I can download?

5) Some SLOPPY1 like textures. Bodies stuck to walls, split apart, with wires coming in and out of them. Something that might suggest the bodies are being used as energy sources. I'm avoiding the Doom2 hanging corpses and sticking to the Ultimate Doom ones, which also means I'm avoiding SP_DUDE7 and going more for SP_DUDE1 type bodies. Anything would be appreciated.

Post somethin' here or mail me at Kara@xfury.net por favor.

Nanami said:

2) Lava flow. Like BFALL or SFALL, but with lava. I'm not sure if this is possible without deleting any existing textures. Is it possible to make animated textures without replacing existing ones?

3) If the above is possible, I'd also like a water and slime version.

2. Yes you can make some animated textures without replacing existing ones - name one set of textures WFALL1, FALL2, WFALL3, WFALL4, and another set SLADRIP1, SLADRIP2, SLADRIP3. These are "free" animations in doom2.wad, but make sure you create the textures as well as just putting the patches into your wad. If you wish to create any more animated textures, you'll have to replace existing ones.
(Of course, if you use ZDoom you can create any number of new animated textures.
And animated flats, too....)

3. Gothic Textures has lava, slime and waterfalls in it.

KennyJC said:

can anyone suggest GOOD textures for a medieval castle type map?

See UD's answer.

Castle textures:

Heretic and Hexen textures are often used for that, although they are perhaps a bit too commonly used. If you want to use something a bit less "mainstream", the Thief 1 and 2 game resource files can be easily opened with winzip. There are loads of very nice looking textures in them. Some convert very well to the Doom palette.

Awesome. Now all I need is glass. I thought that'd be the easiest to find too. =P

I'm assuming nobody minds if I use any of these textures. It'll be a while before I use these in anything, so there's plenty of time to let me know if anyone objects.

By the way, are there any "switch" textures available that I could use, like the animated ones UD mentioned? I have a texture that I might like to use as a switch, and I still don't want to get rid of anything.

Unfortunately, new switches cannot be created, only existing ones replaced. Best one to replace is SW1SKIN/SW2SKIN (the big eye), as the background patch (HELL6_3) is not used anywhere else, as are the eye textures that make up the switch.

NiGHTMARE said:

4) There's a texture like this in NJZDoom2001. It also has an MARBFAC2/STONE hybrid, amongst others.

There is?

Hey, there is! You think I'd have known that. There's also the textures I used for glass. Only useful if you are going to use them on translucent lines though as they have no transparent areas.

And if you do find anything of use in my WAD, you are more than welcome to use it.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Unfortunately, new switches cannot be created, only existing ones replaced...

I didn't catch whether this was for doom1 or 2, but if it is for doom2, there are a few spare switches. If you look at the textures in doom2 you'll see a few of them look the same

SW1BRCOM
SW1BRN1
SW1STARG
SW1STON2
SW1STONE

In doom1, only SW1BRCOM looks like the above switches, and the others have their own look. Presumably, id decided they didn't need those switches in Doom2, but rather than removing them they just replaced them with a generic looking SW1BRCOM appearance texture. So, you could edit them without adversely affecting the game, just so long as you use SW1BRCOM and not the others whenever you want a switch that looks like that.

If you want to go for a BOOM compatible port (most of them) you can of course use the SWANTBLS.EXE utility, that comes with the BOOM editing tools, to create an unlimited number of animations and switches. Other ports have better and more flexible options (such as Zdoom's ANIMDEFS) but the BOOM method is pretty universal.

Archvile46 said:

The ones on this page are free to use, right? Just clarifying, I like some of these and didn't want to piss anyone off by using them =)

No, I'm a cocktease.

First line on the goddamn page:

"This is list of Doom II add-on textures to base your own custom maps on."

Why are people too stupid to read?

Dude, what the fuck is your problem?

I don't think I've ever seen you say ANYTHING, either on here or on IRC that didn't include something mean or insulting or generally just tactless.

Does being mean to people over the internet really make you feel that big? If it does, you have my pity. Pricks like you are the reason this site and places like #zdoom have gone severely downhill.

Nanami said:

Awesome. Now all I need is glass. I thought that'd be the easiest to find too.

Retres.wad, the resource wad for TeamTNT's DooM Eternal has a glass texture. (It also has a broken glass texture.) It's a fairly simple concept and you may be able to create a graphic patch yourself.

If you're doing a map for ZDooM, you can use a texture such as SHAWN2 and apply translucency and blocking to the linedef to create a glass surface. Alternatively, you can use the excellent glass texture from Duke3D and do the same thing.

I have used both the DooM Eternal texture (no port required) and the Duke3D texture (ZDooM required). Let me know if you want those patches and I'll email them to you. Otherwise feel free to suffer through several MBs of downloads to get my levels and extract the patches :)

I'd like the glass texture, yeah. =)

I don't make levels for ZDoom, mine are usually vanilla or nearly vanilla. I'm not l33t enough to make ZDoom levels. ;)

ReX said:

If you're doing a map for ZDooM, you can use a texture such as SHAWN2 and apply translucency and blocking to the linedef to create a glass surface.

You can of course have translucent textures in Boom and compatible ports as well.

NiGHTMARE said:

You can of course have translucent textures in Boom and compatible ports as well.

You have to go through a couple more hoops to make the windows blocking and/or smash-able in that case though, but yeah it certainly works.

Archvile46 said:

Pricks like you are the reason this site and places like #zdoom have gone severely downhill.

That is so hilarious on so many levels.

Arioch said:

That is so hilarious on so many levels.

As is the irony of you of all people replying to it.

Archvile46 said:

As is the irony of you of all people replying to it.

Just so we're clear. :) :) :) :)