Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

IronEagle Competition 31: Tangerine Nightmare

Welcome to a new month of the IronEagle competition, the ironman challenge that welcomes everyone. Streamers and non-streamers are both welcome, as veterans and newcomers and everyone in between. All that is required is a desire to try your hand at some Doom maps in a single sitting (without saves).

This month, participants will challenge themselves against Tangerine Nightmare, the gem created by the French Doom community (specifically @datacore, @franckFRAG, @WH-Wilou84, Jambon, @Yugiboy85, @JCD, and @Roofi) and released in February 2018. The mapset consists of 10 maps with an orange theme in a medieval setting. Some of the monsters get new sprites, too. It's a well-regarded release that is mostly limit-removing, but Map 08 must be played with Boom compatibility to function. Thus, it's probably best to play the mapset on complevel 9 or Boom(strict).

But, if you don't anticipate reaching Map 08, and want to play the early maps on their intending compatibility, feel free to play on complevel 2 or Doom(strict). Be warned, though, if you reach Map 08, that's all she wrote. There isn't an option to quit, and pistol start Map 08 in Boom.

Tangerine Nightmare starts at Map 01. Survival is completion of Map 08. Map 09 is the credits map, but there is an exit to Map 10, which would count as a bonus "secret" map.

Congratulations to this month's winners (further details are in the post below).

UV: @Yugiboy85 (Runner-up: @Suitepee)

HMP: n/a

HNTR: @Major Arlene (Runner-up: Pegleg)

Spoiler
  • Template for PRBoom+:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file tn.wad -complevel 9 -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IEtn>
      • as stated above, -complevel 2 is also allowed

• Template for ZDoom:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file infected.wad +compatmode 6 -skill <x> +map map01 -record <IEtn>
      • it is possible you may have to use +set skill <x> for GZDoom
      • as stated above, +compatmode 2 is also allowed

<x> must be replaced by the skill level. 2 = HNTR, 3 = HMP, 4 = UV

<IEtn> would be replaced with whatever you decide to call your demo, if you're submitting a demo

Rules:

The rules are basically the same as they have been. Either demos or streams are permissible. If you are creating a demo, post the demo. If you are streaming, post a video of the stream. Even if streaming, you can still submit a demo, if you want to.

The basic rule is that you submit a demo/stream played at a particular difficulty level (HNTR, HMP, or UV) and you play without saving and reloading, ending your run when you die (or survive).

The following are allowed (but not required):

• Freelook
  • Crosshair
  • Mods that are COSMETIC ONLY

The following are NOT allowed:

• Crouching
  • Jumping
  • Mods that change ANY aspect of base gameplay, including (but not limited to) enemy behavior, enemy speed, player abilities, player speed, weapon damage, ammo, and enemy drops.

Further, more specific, rules are listed below:

Spoiler

• Submissions (except for streams, as described below) must include a demo from one of the listed acceptable ports. The first actual attempt must be submitted, there are no do-overs (with very few possible exceptions, which I will address as they arise).
    • You may practice a mapset if you want, but these practice runs should not be submitted as your official entry, and your run would be Category 2, unless there are exceptional circumstances (such as described below).
  • A run must be done in a singular sitting with no saves. (With room for breaks. This will be addressed below.)
  • Streams and video runs are accepted provided you post a video of the stream/run or a link to the video.
    • If you post a video of the stream, you may post a demo if you want, but it is not mandatory. You may also post a demo if you, for some reason, do not want to post the video or a link.
  • Secret levels, if present, do not have to be completed for a survival run. If they are completed, they are extra credit.

Any port is accepted provided it will actually run the mapset. There is no preference.

Spoiler

Of course, if you want to try a limit-removing/Boom map in Chocolate Doom, be my guest. However, be aware that your run may be over rather quickly. Don't say you weren't warned.

Category System:

Category 1: Blind run.

This explains itself. You have no knowledge of the wad and have not played/seen it before.I'm willing to be somewhat lenient with this Category.

For example, if you die early in Map 01, and then decide to play again for your run, you can still call it Category 1.

Category 2: Non-blind.

If you have played the wad before and/or possess significant foreknowledge, your run is non-blind. Basically, anything that is not Category 1 is Category 2.

If you're unhappy with your blind run, feel free to record a new run, and submit that run instead. If you want to submit your first run, no matter how you perform, by all means, go ahead and do it. You just shouldn't feel that you HAVE to submit a run you're dissatisfied with, just to preserve a "Category 1" status. If you want to go back and submit a second run, you're welcome to do so, but, at this time, it won't be counted.

Difficulty System:

You may submit a demo/stream for only one of HNTR, HMP, or UV. Choose only one, because subsequent submittals will be rejected (i.e., if you submit a HMP demo, the HNTR demo you then submit will be rejected). We're not using the 1CC rule set here. And your first submission is what counts.

Only runs from the same difficulty will be pitted against each other. Each difficulty will be graded separately.

Submission:

When you submit your run, please the include the following information:

• The category (1 or 2)
  • The difficulty
  • If you survived or what map you died on
  • The time elapsed when you survived/died (even if it's only approximate)
  • How many kills you had on the map where you died
  • The port you used (if you included a demo)
  • A link to the stream/video (if you did a stream)

You may include a commentary about the maps or details about them, if you want to. If you do include specific information about the map (e.g. "The demon trap in Map 08 is rough"), please put it in a spoiler, so that people that want a completely blind experience won't be tipped off. In you're just putting in a general comment (e.g., "Pro tip: don't get hit"), then no need for a spoiler.

Attempting to max the maps is not necessary to win.

Ranking for this mapset will be determined by:

• Survival +1 (surviving the "secret" Map 10)
  • Survival +0.5 (finding the entrance to Map 10, but dying)
  • Survival (remember, survival is simply reaching Map 09)
  • Total time for survival
  • Map of death (in descending order: Map 10, Map 08, Map 07, Map 06, Map 05, Map 04, Map 03, Map 02, Map 01 -- that's right, I left off Map 09; it's a credits map)
  • Total time at death
  • Kill count at death

If you die, please wait a few seconds before quitting.

Breaks:

Everyone gets tired. Sometimes people survive longer than they expected. Nature calls. Every now and then, there are family emergencies. Needing to take a break shouldn't necessarily end a promising run. While you should try to complete the run in a single setting, this isn't always possible. If you have to take a break, try to make it quick.

Happy Dooming!

Previous IronEagle Competitions

Spoiler

• 1 (Oct.): Scientist 2 (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 2 (Nov.): Vanguard (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 3 (Dec.): Crumpets (Winners -- UV: NoisyVelvet   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 4 (Feb.): Dark Covenant (Winners -- UV: kmc   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 5 (Mar.): Brood of Hatred (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 6 (Apr.): Riot Control (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Walter Confetti   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 7 (May): Scimitar (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 8 (Jun.): Bauhaus (Winners -- UV: vdgg   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 9 (Jul.): Bloody Steel (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 10 (Aug.): The Brotherhood of Ruin (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 11 (Sept.): Flashback to Hell (Winners -- UV: kmc/Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 12 (Oct.): A Taste for Blood (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 13 (Nov.): Back to Basics (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Horus   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 14 (Dec.): Whitemare (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz & NaZa   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)

Edited by Pegleg : EDIT 1: Added Yugiboy's mention, which was an unintentional oversight. EDIT 2: Added crosshair to allowed list. EDIT 3: Added winners.

"This month, participants will challenge themselves against Tangerine Nightmare, the gem created by the French Doom community (specifically @datacore, @franckFRAG, @WH-Wilou84, Jambon, @JCD, and @Roofi)" 

Hmm, I feel as though someone is missing here. 

Anyhow, might try this this month.

Category: 1

Difficulty: UV

Death: MAP03

Time Elapsed: ~26:40

Kills: 63/119

PrBoom+ 2.6um

Demo: ie_tangerine_maribo.zip

Spoiler

I got mancubus shot through the wall :(
But I also just walked up and took 2 full hits because I'm dumb beforehand, so.... I deserved it.

It took me a bit to get used to the textures in this wad, but I like them.

On 5/1/2021 at 2:14 PM, Yugiboy85 said:

"This month, participants will challenge themselves against Tangerine Nightmare, the gem created by the French Doom community (specifically @datacore, @franckFRAG, @WH-Wilou84, Jambon, @JCD, and @Roofi)" 

Hmm, I feel as though someone is missing here. 

Anyhow, might try this this month.

You are absolutely right that someone is missing. I went back and forth to the wiki page and was going in order of when they were listed on the map list, and ... I just messed up. looked over everything when I was finished and was confident I hadn't forgotten something, and I had. I'm sorry. You rightfully deserve as one of the authors. I've added your name to the author list. Again, I'm sorry for forgetting to add you in the first place.

I look forward to seeing you tackle this set later this month.

No worries pegleg, no harm done :D 

Yes, I will get to it ^^

I predict I'll die on map 04 though. 

And here is my run. Recorded on Prboom+ in CL2 on skill 4 (I think that's UV)

Category 1 haha (no, it's really a category 2 because well, it's impossible for me to say that I have no foreknowledge whatsoever lol). 

Spoiler

Dead on map 04, as I predicted. Fuck that map. 

Also, FYI, there is a possible skip in map 02 as you can bump the red skull. I've done it in my demo. It probably doesn't save you alot of time but, it's still here ^^

tneagleyb.zip

Edited by Yugiboy85

Dead on map 3, I reacted badly to an archie spawn... again. I really need to practice them so much more. At least I didn't die on the *first* archie of the map set.

I may have forgotten to turn off 'show secrets' in gzdoom automap because I was playtesting some stuff... it doesn't make much difference for this run, I don't really go for secrets that much, but I'll be more careful in the future. I'm not really a competitive person, just happy to participate, really. 

A question for the future, though. When I see 'freelook allowed' I instinctively turn on a crosshair too. Is that kosher?

I loved the aesthetic of the maps! I'll definitely play the rest of the set, it seems quite fair and so beautiful! A good opportunity to remember how to play with freelook too :P

Nobody needs to watch the run, really, just for the record

IEtn_hc.zip

Category 1, UV, PrBoom+

Dead in MAP02 with 15 kills.

Botched a dodge and got murdered by a Revenant. Really cool mapset so far; castles are my favorite type of level and this architecture is outstanding. The spritework's pretty respectable too.

Spoiler

After logging the blind run, I switched back to Crispy Doom for a proper playthrough of 01-07. Halfway through so far, and I'm digging the general vibe and level of danger. Each monster attack makes interesting use of the space, even if there are a couple of HP doors that require nothing but a time & ammo tax.

It's rather interesting how Tangerine Nightmare is willing to throw these "Arch-Vile leaders are right in the mix with the mid-tier meat shield monsters" scenarios at the player. I know that the extra ammo stocks from Continuous play skew things a bit, but it's still a bold choice to make the ammo requirements vary so wildly depending on how things go.

Edited by head_cannon

MAP05, 65/151, HNTR, Cat 2, 41:50
Includes one reset because I got REALLY lost on MAP01.
kill me please.

oh wait, Yugiboy already did. :P
EDIT: I didn't read past the part that said only MAP08 was needing Boom compat so I did the whole thing under Boom strict. Hopefully won't disqualify but understandable if it does

Completely unintentionally, I waited until the last day of the month to do my run. Anyway, here is my run.

ie_pegleg_tn.zip

Category: 2

Dead on Map 02

Kills: 6/56

Time: 8:00

Difficulty: HNTR

Recorded on: PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4

I don't like revenants. I've said it before and I'll say it again. And I'll just leave my comment at that. I'm not surprised my run ended on Map 02, but I had expected to make it a bit farther into the map. Oh well. C'est la vie.

5 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

I didn't read past the part that said only MAP08 was needing Boom compat so I did the whole thing under Boom strict. Hopefully won't disqualify but understandable if it does

Map 08 required Boom compatibility to finish it, but the first 7 maps do not require Boom compatibility. So, you could have played on complevel 2 if you did not anticipate reaching Map 08 (like me). However, if you decided to play on Boom compatibility due to one map requiring it, that was fine, too. That was my point.

I ran into this sort of problem with Whitemare, where all the maps were limit-removing, except for one that required Boom. Unfortunately, that brought two promising runs to a grinding halt due to that oversight. I was trying to avoid that same problem here, although this month's participation has been unexpectedly low, and no one has gotten near Map 08 for it to be an issue. Map 04 on UV and your run to Map 05 on HNTR were the farthest anyone got into the set.

12 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

MAP05, 65/151, HNTR, Cat 2, 41:50
Includes one reset because I got REALLY lost on MAP01.
kill me please.

oh wait, Yugiboy already did. :P
EDIT: I didn't read past the part that said only MAP08 was needing Boom compat so I did the whole thing under Boom strict. Hopefully won't disqualify but understandable if it does

Sorry :D 

(Not sorry) 

https://youtu.be/8PmOMDNRxSU

Attempt starts at 1:20:10, category 1 run. Died on map 4 (119/167 monsters) due to a goddamn Archvile undoing all my hard work, then said hard work killing me off in the form of a resurrected Mancubus.

A hearty thank you to everyone who joined the competition this month. My apologies for a very late results list, but here we are.

@NoisyVelvet, I left you off the results list because your run was so long after the month was over. Nevertheless, I'm glad you're back and I hope to see your runs again.

Here is the results list for IronEagle 31.

UV

1. Yugiboy85 (Map 04)
  2. Suitepee (Map 04)
  3. Helm (Map 03)
  4. Maribo (Map 03)
  5. head_cannon (Map 02)

HMP

None

HNTR

1. Major Arlene (Map 05)
  2. Pegleg (Map 02)