Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

Doom Eternal fans give games journalists too much of their energy.

7 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

@omalefico32x Unfortunately, I do not think the gaming community has moved on from GamerGate so much as it has tried to distance itself from it.

The resentment, the entitlement, the feeling of alienation and aggrievement... it is all very much still there, just waiting for the right circumstances to bubble back up to the surface. In fact, I would argue that it already has in light of certain events, but I am reluctant to specify how, as I fear this might be too sensitive of a subject.

if you are talking about tlou2 yea that situation was bad but i dont see something like the gamergate happening again

12 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

if you are talking about tlou2 yea that situation was bad but i dont see something like the gamergate happening again

I was actually not thinking of The Last of Us: Part II, but I reckon this is a good example of a legitimate problem (i.e. a game that massively overstays its welcome in addition to having been developed under crunch) being criticized for the wrong reasons (e.g. some woman's muscle mass, a fan-favorite character acting irrationally as the result of their deep-seated hatred for someone).

I would also argue that the reactionary backlash to, say, The Last Jedi was easily on par with GamerGate at its prime, to the point where the mere mention of the title in conversations seems to have become some sort of litmus test. That is not to say that there are not legitimate reasons to dislike The Last Jedi, of course, but unfortunately, those tend to be drowned out by silly, if not downright garbage complaints.

Edited by Rudolph

3 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I was actually not thinking of The Last of Us: Part II, but this is a good example of a legitimate problem (i.e. a game that massively overstays its welcome in addition to having heavily relied on crunch) being criticized for the wrong reasons (e.g. some woman's muscle mass).

I would also argue that the reactionary backlash to The Last Jedi was easily on par with GamerGate at its prime, to the point where the mere mention of the title in conversations seems to have become some sort of litmus test. That is not to say that there are not legitimate reasons to dislike The Last Jedi, but unfortunately, those tend to be drowned out by garbage complaints.

true and the worst part is that the last of us 2 won prizes for everything many well deserved but best director? the industry basically said "oh yeah if you crunch your employes you get prizes for your work" ive seen channels talking about cdpr saying how their crunch is good because good games are made under crunch as if it made the game better lol

@omalefico32x Yeah, the whole "We are willing to (make workers) suffer for our craft" rhetoric needs to end. 

Because taken to its absolute extreme, such mindset tends to lead to shit like "Work sets you free".

i remenber a guy getting ptsd from working on mk11 because they made their workers look at real animal and human gore for some fucked up reason and people are like "he should know what he was getting at" as if he chose to have ptsd

why the fuck are companies making people look at real gore to make fake gore in a videogame? why the fuck are people justifying this saying its his faulty for getting ptsd? what the fuck is happening with the game industry and why doesnt the developers unionise already?

@omalefico32x Holy shit, that is the first time I hear about that!

And here I thought that the worst thing about Mortal Kombat 11 was the casting of Ronda Rousey as Sonya Blade...

@omalefico32x Holy shit, that is the first time I hear about that!

And here I thought that the worst thing about Mortal Kombat 11 was the casting of Ronda Rousey as Sonya Blade...

and the fact that a big part of the game will be completely unplayable when they close the servers

4 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Wait, it requires a permanent online connection even for single-player mode?

not for all modes but for the crypt for example you need a conection with sucks because cripty was allways a cool aspect of the games and it was always offline

https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/530035-mortal-kombat-11-always-online-mk-11-offline-internet-connection

https://gamerant.com/mortal-kombat-11-gore-violence-ptsd/

i love mortal kombat but i refuse to play mk11 because of all that

you probaly heard about the mass effect trilogy butt controversy right? people care more about a character butt in a short scene then the developers well being

Was the Mass Effect butt "controversy" a thing outside of Twitter? I got into some arguments with some folks there who claimed that the developers choosing to alter their own game was censorship.

Just now, NoXion said:

Was the Mass Effect butt "controversy" a thing outside of Twitter? I got into some arguments with some folks there who claimed that the developers choosing to alter their own game was censorship.

people dont know what censorship is

censorship is wolfenstein having a hitler without a mustache and without nazi references

the butt controversy is just the devs saying "on that scene she is talking about sad stuff and i dont think the fan service fits"

6 minutes ago, NoXion said:

Were those people Beavis and Butthead, by any chance?

Were those people Beavis and Butthead, by any chance?

No, I think Beavis and Butthead were the ones trying to make a case that the close-up butt shots were somehow integral to the storytelling in that scene...

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

Google "tokenism".

And yes, GamerGate was absolutely fascistic: it wasted no time propping up far-right figures such as Milo Yiannopoulos and Davis Aurini as its figureheads, it tried to rehabilitate JACK FUCKING THOMPSON and the whole thing was so blatant that even 4chan tried to distance itself from it.

And again, blaming marginalized people with little to no actual power for ruining something that you love, that is textbook fascist rhetoric.

Nice try.

Even if that was the case, using marginalised groups as a weapon in a fight against a consumer revolt, as was done by the gaming press during GG, is also a form of tokenism (a practice which continues to this very day, as it happens). According to the FBI at least, none of the activity of which you speak was directly tied to the core movement, rather a bunch of opportunistic arseholes with their own agenda. Were there fascists among those goons? Probably - the anti-GG side had its fair share of unsavoury types too, not least of all quite an alarming number of sexual misconduct charges that came out in the wash. Fact is, as TotalBiscuit (mayherestinpeace) once said, a hashtag is not a club - there are no entry requirements, so anyone can piggyback off something if it gains enough traction. GG was sporadic and disorganised enough that dickheads with an agenda jumping on board was more or less guaranteed.

IMO, GG's biggest mistake was allowing Breitbart into their ranks. I can understand why - in a media climate where pretty much every outlet was bashing you as fascists, here was one media outlet which was willing to listen. Problem was, it was Breitbart. Like I said, opportunistic scumbags jumping on the bandwagon.

I wasn't involved with GG, I just saw it as another bout of internet drama and ignored it at the time, but the fact that games journalists are still crying about it to this day, almost seven years later was what made me want to learn more about it. Problem is, shit online is SO one-sided that getting to the facts nowadays is nigh-on impossible.

Oh, and in case I didn't make it clear enough: fuck Breitbart and fuck Milo.

6 hours ago, NoXion said:

No, I think Beavis and Butthead were the ones trying to make a case that the close-up butt shots were somehow integral to the storytelling in that scene...

"Uh-urhuhuhuhuhu! You said 'butt shots'!"

"Oh yeah! Eh-Eheheheheh!"

6 hours ago, scalliano said:

I wasn't involved with GG

But you are going to make excuses for it anyway. -_-

6 hours ago, scalliano said:

using marginalised groups as a weapon in a fight against a consumer revolt, as was done by the gaming press during GG, is also a form of tokenism

This is such a bizarre claim to make for someone who denies having been involved with GamerGate.

No, GamerGate was not a "consumer revolt" - not anymore than the Klu Klux Klan was a "citizen revolt".

And no, the gaming press was not the one going around accusing marginalized people of ruining video games. A journalist or a game developer opening up about their background as a member of a marginalized group and using it as an inspiration in their writing or game design is not "tokenism": when Anita Sarkeesian talks about her Arabic and Armenian descent, it is not to justify or excuse racism against Arabs or people denying the Armenian Genocide; when Rami Ismail brings up his Muslim background, it is not to condone islamophobia and the War on Terror.

What is tokenism is Milo Yiannopoulos encouraging his audience to be homophobic by giving them his blessing as a gay man himself; it is Carl Benjamin claiming to have a black grandfather so that he can trash-talk black people; it is Candace Owens telling MAGAheads that they are not racist.

Edited by Rudolph

GamerGate literally started because a game developer's ex-boyfriend got pissy and decided to enlist the help of the 4chan mob to get back at her. The fact that a handful of non-idiots like TotalBiscuit got caught up in it doesn't change the fact that it was always fucking weird.

22 minutes ago, NoXion said:

GamerGate literally started because a game developer's ex-boyfriend got pissy and decided to enlist the help of the 4chan mob to get back at her. The fact that a handful of non-idiots like TotalBiscuit got caught up in it doesn't change the fact that it was always fucking weird.

Eh. I have to disagree about TotalBiscuit: the guy had clearly too much of a vested interest in pandering to the GamerGate crowd and he seemed to have had some shitty views of his own. Jim Sterling handled the whole thing much better, refusing to even begin to entertain the very claim that GamerGate was a "consumer revolt" and seeing it for what it truly was, i.e. a far-right astroturfing campaign.

Edited by Rudolph

off topic but i am surpise no admin has closed this tread already especially when we started to talk about gamer gate

Just now, omalefico32x said:

off topic but i am surpise no admin has closed this tread already especially when we started to talk about gamer gate

You've jinxed us now!

Just now, Rudolph said:

Eh. I have to disagree about TotalBiscuit: the guy had too much of a vested interest in not alienating the GamerGate crowd to distance himself from it and he might have had some shitty views of his own, so he was fine pandering to them and make excuses for the astroturfing campaign.

People like Jim Sterling handled it much better; unsurprisingly, GamerGaters hated Sterling's guts despite being a legitimate critic of the industry.

people hate jim stearling because he doesnt fear saying that your favorite game is just a souless cash grab and that the devs dont care about you and the gamers are not always in the right

6 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

people hate jim stearling because he doesnt fear saying that your favorite game is just a souless cash grab and that the devs dont care about you and the gamers are not always in the right

I believe Jim Sterling uses they/them now.

But yeah, when your so-called movement about "ethics in video game journalism" cannot get Jim Sterling on board, you know you fucked up.

I believe Jim Sterling uses they/them now.

But yeah, when your so-called movement about "ethics in video game journalism" cannot get Jim Sterling on board, you know you fucked up.

i have a huge respect to what he does and while i disagree with his opinion in videogames the guy is much more then the 6 he gave to sonic colors

1 minute ago, omalefico32x said:

i have a huge respect to what he does and while i disagree with his opinion in videogames the guy is much more then the 6 he gave to sonic colors

Again, they/them. Jim Sterling has come out as non-binary. ;)

11 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Again, they/them. Jim Sterling has come out as non-binary. ;)

yea i know i just dont know how to refair in english its not my native thong sorry

edit: lol i meant to say tongue

Edited by omalefico32x

It seems everyone in either side had skeletons in their closet or eventually got them, that even those proving how fucked someone was or had some good takes turn out to be fucked.

You find out how bad someone is, but the otherwise truthfull evidence comes from some site or person that is still insane. (which means they either attack them over specific parts or never look at the problems of someone in their own field, even if they still eat themselves)

Even "Troll's Remorse" and grifters are a thing there.

Normies are the real winners of the "culture wars" for ignoring almost all of this shit and just doing whatever.

But this is off-topic already.

Let's at least agree that Doom Eternal deserved at least one or two VGA awards, even if you normally don't care about this.

Well, if you're a Doom fan you do have to off-load some of that monster energy somewhere...