Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

Try to recreate Doom 1 from memory! (Community Project) (Closed)

I haven't been able to get going on E1M3 and probably won't be able to, I've entered a crunch period in gamedev for time being. So consider my slot dropped.

E1M3 is a massive level, someone here needs to take it over pretty soon. I'll give a week for it, or two if needed

Giving up again, I have come to announce I am more of a total conversion person than a regular map builder and it is too difficult for me to make normal maps.

i'll give e1m3 a shot, what format are we mapping in, regular doom? just wanna be sure up front.

2 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

i'll give e1m3 a shot, what format are we mapping in, regular doom? just wanna be sure up front.

Limit removing, so just regular doom format.

i thiiiiiiiink this is done, decided to make it a speedmapping project for double challenge and fun. gonna sleep on it and take a look in the morning to be sure i'm cool with it. haven't seen e1m3 in a few weeks and mostly remember psx doom's texture vocabulary.

absolutely no fuckin idea where item things or enemy things are. i vaguely remember what enemies are in what room, but not their starting positions, and certainly don't remember where any items are. but it felt like a reasonable facsimile while playing through! so that's something. tried not to do any embellishing and just Gave Up doing a number of things because that seemed like the most productive choice

ps. i know it's full of lumpy and lopsided shapes it's called Gradeschooler Charm lmao

e1m3.png.64e9c263e568dfc132f1aee34c8ed135.png

4 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

i thiiiiiiiink this is done, decided to make it a speedmapping project for double challenge and fun. gonna sleep on it and take a look in the morning to be sure i'm cool with it. haven't seen e1m3 in a few weeks and mostly remember psx doom's texture vocabulary.

absolutely no fuckin idea where item things or enemy things are. i vaguely remember what enemies are in what room, but not their starting positions, and certainly don't remember where any items are. but it felt like a reasonable facsimile while playing through! so that's something. tried not to do any embellishing and just Gave Up doing a number of things because that seemed like the most productive choice

ps. i know it's full of lumpy and lopsided shapes it's called Gradeschooler Charm lmao

e1m3.png.64e9c263e568dfc132f1aee34c8ed135.png

That was fast. Looks really good and accurate. Great work!

this morning after consulting with my mind palace in a state of deep episode 1-induced meditation, i decided that i had to fix some things. it is now fixed. it is still very bad. if something is horribly broken i'll fix the horribly broken thing but i won't touch the layout from here on out. this was a blast

E1M3.zip

Alright, we have 3 maps left, but I'm releasing the first version of the wad. Episode 2 and 1 is full, they would be best to test. You can test for balance, but I do not expect too much balance. If one level is impossible and the next level is super easy, then I would consider balancing that. Test for HOM, and other glitches. Use crispy doom, not gzdoom, and thanks if you help!

Done.

Download: Doom, The Way We Remember It.zip (Version 6)

Edited by Engired

3 hours ago, Engired said:

Alright, we have 3 maps left, but I'm releasing the first version of the wad. Episode 2 and 1 is full, they would be best to test. You can test for balance, but I do not expect too much balance. If one level is impossible and the next level is super easy, then I would consider balancing that. Test for HOM, and other glitches. Use crispy doom, not gzdoom, and thanks if you help!

These people still need to send in their maps:

@GratefulName

@SilverMiner

@Nuxius

The deadline has passed, and I do not want to wait too much longer. If it goes past the 10th or 12th, I might message you personally, because this project does need to wrap up.                                                                                                        

Download: Doom, The Way We Remember It.zip

I was playing this on my 3DS and I just noticed a major issue with my E1M4.

The central area with the blue keycard has a blinking sector effect. Is it fine if this could get fixed? Thanks

Edit: Thanks for the fix Engired

Edited by Wavy

3 hours ago, Engired said:

@GratefulName

The deadline has passed, and I do not want to wait too much longer. If it goes past the 10th or 12th, I might message you personally, because this project does need to wrap up.                                                                                                        

I'm so sorry i don't think i can make the map because of personal reasons.

Why the heck did I think the deadline was the end of July? Reading fail on my part, LOL. Either that or I got this confused with something else.

Anyway, I am getting my second covid shot tomorrow, so I have taken a few days off in preparation for that. Hopefully I will not have any bad side effects, which will give me Thursday and Friday to finish my map.

If you haven't heard anything from me by the end of Saturday, July 10th, then go ahead and give my slot to someone else. Don't want to hold this project up any longer.

this door in e2m6 is missing all of its door properties:

Clipboard01.png.42af95f7e4b5435ce79b9ac7f8d98ab3.png

there's also this weird thing in the same map:

Clipboard02.png.6728f636e39476c5fedc6088577ef8a1.png

otherwise this map is a total charmer - having lots of fun with this wad!!

[edit] E3M1 has quite a bit of weirdness going on too - you can close one of the walls over a door and make it unusable, amongst other things

Edited by msx2plus

2 hours ago, msx2plus said:

there's also this weird thing in the same map:

Clipboard02.png.6728f636e39476c5fedc6088577ef8a1.png

I can't replicate that, it might be a node issue I accidentally fixed, but if you see it again, just use IDMYPOS and give me another picture.

Ah shit, i though to have fixed the bleeding sectors in that room! Glad you liked my map, anyway!

7 hours ago, msx2plus said:

[edit] E3M1 has quite a bit of weirdness going on too - you can close one of the walls over a door and make it unusable, amongst other things

That's my map, I never noticed any errors on it but I was only testing in GZDoom - someone before mentioned there was a HOM somewhere and I just  couldn't see it. Must be a source port thing, I'll have to take another look at it in the editor.

I just tested E3M1 in Crispy Doom and found some weird behaviour, like teleport not being visible and the final segment of the "collapsing bridge" not working as intended. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix those right away and the problems do not occur in GZDoom. It's in Doom format but I don't have an explanation for why it would appear so different between two source ports.

1 hour ago, VisionThing said:

I just tested E3M1 in Crispy Doom and found some weird behaviour, like teleport not being visible and the final segment of the "collapsing bridge" not working as intended. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix those right away and the problems do not occur in GZDoom. It's in Doom format but I don't have an explanation for why it would appear so different between two source ports.

It should be fixed in the new version I released. Original doom seems to like them being tagged, not tagging them groups sectors the same height together. I didn't see any teleport issues, but if the new version still has them, let me know.

2 hours ago, Engired said:

It should be fixed in the new version I released. Original doom seems to like them being tagged, not tagging them groups sectors the same height together. I didn't see any teleport issues, but if the new version still has them, let me know.

Ah, I was testing my version. I'll have a look at the release candidate and see what happens!

Alright, so this WAD is a lot of fun - were I a more skilled mapper, I would've loved to get in on this. That said, I've found a pair of missing textures in E1M9 on the sides of the platform leading to the exit door. I don't know if it's been fixed since the most recent version I can find, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Showing that I didn't actually forget about the project

I hope I'll finish it until all other maps here are done

image.png

I tested my map in the latest version and it was all good, no errors. Thanks for fixing it! I also went through E1 in full and a couple of maps into E2, all the maps I played so far were very faithful to the originals in both spirit and appearance, while having their own unique touches that made them feel strange and familiar at the same time. Really good work by everyone on this!

I've done some updates in my maps and also added the new E1M9.

Someone needs to take the slot that is currently missing, this project is getting pretty close to release.

Just a quick status update: feeling better today, making good progress on my map. Bar any unforeseen circumstances, I should have it finished this weekend.

That brings us to 2 maps left. Someone needs to take e3m3, I might be able to do it but I have no idea what e3m3 even really looks like. If nobody can take it before the other map is submitted, be quick or I'll start my best attempt.