Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

Try to recreate Doom 1 from memory! (Community Project) (Closed)

Screenshot-Doom-20210504-201820.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210504-201828.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210504-201836.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210504-201807.png

Here it is the new E2M4: Deimos Experiment

E2M4.rar

Format: Doom

Difficulty: All skills - more or less

Multiplayer: Coop, DM starts + some extra stuff  - untested

This was much harder that the E1M8. It  took me the whole afternoon. The area next to the room with tower is a bit bare bone, because I forgot parts of the layout here. I also forgot that the room behind the bars at the beginning is a secret, forgot the alcove with armor and invisibility in the nukage area, the side corridors in the section with crushers and messed up the key colors and the placement of the first key.  The textures are also a bit off.  But it is all part of the fun of this project :D

^ at a cursory glance I'd believe that was the actual Deimos Labs. Nice job!

7 minutes ago, Kloki38 said:

Screenshot-Doom-20210504-201820.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210504-201828.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210504-201836.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210504-201807.png

Here it is the new E2M4: Deimos Experiment

E2M4.rar

Format: Doom

Difficulty: All skills - more or less

Multiplayer: Coop, DM starts + some extra stuff  - untested

This was much harder that the E1M8. It  took me the whole afternoon. The area next to the room with tower is a bit bare bone, because I forgot parts of the layout here. I also forgot that the room behind the bars at the beginning is a secret, forgot the alcove with armor and invisibility in the nukage area, the side corridors in the section with crushers and messed up the key colors and the placement of the first key.  The textures are also a bit off.  But it is all part of the fun of this project :D

This looks pretty similar, probably if I played it it would be different, I wonder if you have photographic memory

3 hours ago, 1Destro3456 said:

This looks pretty similar, probably if I played it it would be different, I wonder if you have photographic memory

Well, I do have a good memory for events, but I doubt it. I have been playing Doom since I was 4/5 ( so arround 17 years), so I think I should remember a bit of it.

Edited by Kloki38

If there is anybody who can do a second map, with them being E4M5 or E4M7, it would be helpful to know. Just so I can close this and have to look at this less too.

Also: I need to annoy a lot of people just to make sure I've got everything correct, I don't think I did.

Edited by Engired

Map: Mt. Erebus (E3M6)
Tested on: Chocolate Doom
Difficulty: All, but only tested UV
Multiplayer: All, but not tested

Screenshots:

Spoiler

1.PNG.a81bf70776fd27168afa2c9336d188ad.PNG

2.PNG.49769c20a5c69cfca9ed389f29a1308c.PNG

3.PNG.fa03b2a9c71722a2dc8de1f704467dea.PNG

I guess this map was ingrained in my head. I was able to remember the main buildings and get kinda close with some textures. On the other side, it also ended much harder than the original lol

I gave some extra polish to visuals and balancing so it can be enjoyed as a regular map. Have fun and see if you can spot all the differences: E3M6.WAD

4.PNG.df2eb23660135bf8944d094c3e49da16.PNG

That Mt. Erebus looks fantastic. More on the money than my E3M1 side by side. This is gonna be great when it's done! 

Remove me from the community project, I have a project I need to finish.

1 minute ago, Redoom said:

Remove me from the community project, I have a project I need to finish.

Same with me but for different reasons that aren’t related to doom.

E2MY7 - Spewing Bats

Tested on: Chocolate Doom

Difficulties: Yep

Multiplayer: No.

Screenshots: 

Spoiler

734188490_E2MY71.png.f5a84ef4ea7ae277a8ba69bdc105832b.png

1647031361_E2MY72.png.b15b37fddb05a5d93d3d20780c1d25e2.png

303849410_E2MY74.png.51f1e9c2a6c4a6265c8f523b5c77a532.png

Alright, I was able to remember pretty much all of the texture use, the general progression and a few notable encounters. However, I absolutely and completely forgot what the blue techbase was about. I had to look up an automap view of an alpha build (E1M11, 0.4 I believe) just so I could finish it. Hopefully that doesn't count as cheating lol I also forgot where most of the pickups were, as well as monster placement. So I just had to make do.

I decided to make a list of the most notable stuff I got wrong, along with an automap comparison of the original. Here it is!

635258927_E2M7Comparison.png.49f575bc2debec583fb4563ecf7d5618.png

Spoiler

1. I placed 1 pillar instead of 4. There's no pinkies.

2. I had absolutely no idea how this secret was activated. I figured it out later with the redrum switch, however I forgot about the one at point 24.

3. I remembered this part very vividly, or at least I thought. The reactor is flipped 90°, and looks a bit different.

4. The storage facility is smaller and has less crates. Also different ceiling texture. Also also the berserk is misplaced.

5. This hallway is bigger.

6. I forgot about the hallway leading up to this room, so instead it's just the stairway. (which also looks different)

7. The invisosphere is outside the secret.

8. I was originally going to place the 9 pillars, but I wasn't sure exactly where they were placed. uh...

9. This room looks different, and the switch that activates the room is a repeatable Open Wait Close door action. Also, room above is drastically different. I'll get to it in a bit.

10. This room has no enemies or pickups. Also the vat is just a stone pillar, and the marble face is on the wrong wall.

11. This hallway has 6 big vats instead of the 10 small ones.

12. This maze is different. The switch and the chainsaw secret are highlighted.

13. I got the flat textures flipped. When I was making this part, I originally had them with the right flats, but something in my mind said "nono thats wrong its backwards". Also, the inverted cross is thicker and the pool is smaller. Also also, the redrock hallway is just a straight line, instead of the curved cave in the original.

14. Forgot the wooden frame, and the small compartments before the nukage pools and the exit room. Also the wall behind the evil eye is redrock instead of redwall.

15. The nukage pools have potion bonuses in them, along with hanged corpses. I guess I got these from DTWID, but I'm not sure. The teleport room looks different.

16. The geometry is different. The bridge and the exit door also look different.

17. Alright, I completely forgot what the layout looked like here, so I just had to fill in the textures with what I remembered. It looks pretty different from the original.

18. The door here doesn't require the yellow key, and the HOM from the original is placed backwards.

19. This room also looks different. I placed the dead doomguys and lost souls as a reference to the alpha versions!

20. I was out of space for the big PLANET1 room. I had to fill in with some stuff of my own, so it could be in the map.

21. The small basement has no comp1 texture, instead it's all shawn2.

22. Same as point 20.

23. There's less stairs than in the original.

24. There are no torches in the nukage pool. The pillars are next to the door.

25. There's 2 stairs, and I could swear there was one of those lowering computer blocks from E2M2 here.

Edited by Cacodemon187

I would like to be removed from the roster as well. PUSS IX has really grabbed my attention, so I will not really have the capacity to contribute to this project any time soon.

E2M1: Deimos Anonymous 

Skills: All

Multiplayer starts: No

Tested in: Chocolate Doom

The overall look and order of things is correct but a lot of the scaling, monster placement and such are way off.

DOOM07.png.80163a46fbaaf6f04be9654f535b0f7b.pngDOOM08.png.efbdadb85782cf6443f101ba27237000.png

DOOM09.png.99b95e054873689e00a3a50936392ce9.png

Downlorb:

E2M1.zip

Edited by Marn

1 minute ago, Chainie said:

Claiming e4m2 since it's open

Nuxius unfortunately claimed it some hours ago.

On 5/4/2021 at 6:24 PM, egap98 said:

UHHH YES PLEASE? I'LL TAKE THAT.

unfortunately i don't remember enough of e4m8 to make it, i'm removing myself from this project. sorry.

DOOM0004.png

DOOM0005.png

E2M6fm.zip

E2M6 from memory is done!

No difficulty skills and also i pretty screwed up some of size and locations of the maps, hope that is still accepted,

I didn't remember what two switches do, so i turned them into a some sort of troll switches...

Original:

Doom-edit-area-at-2021-05-09-00-07-53-62

My version:

E2-M6fm-edit-area-at-2021-05-08-23-28-54

36 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

No difficulty skills and also i pretty screwed up some of size and locations of the maps, hope that is still accepted,

I don't have difficulty skills either, two places in my map somehow swapped, and saying it's to scale would be far from the truth. As long as it's from memory, I will accept it.

Here's E4M8.

I only have ultra-violence so far, but I might add them later.

Download: https://mega.nz/file/pJpAzAIR#ZOH-6FCAPpZ9dfKvS9lGDKjILb9w3V2i4haMc5VJsjc

This also marks the first map from episode 4 that I know of to be released!

Spoiler

I completely did some sections wrong, some being missed. But, I'd rather play mine than the original.

Mine has deep water and shadows. And more secrets.

And here's E4M6! (Nickname: Abaddon's Taco Warehouse)

Download

Overall, it looks more like its basis than my E3M8 recreation, though that's because it's an infinitely more memorable level. It's also harder than the original in my opinion, especially if you don't find any secrets. (Though I suppose the same could be said about the original E4M6...)

Pictures:

Spoiler

iWMld2O.png

6qkMp5g.png

q78IRHB.png

-- MAP INFO --
Map Name: Abaddon's Taco Warehouse
Format: Vanilla Doom
Tested in: dsda-doom, Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, GZDoom
Compatibility: Doom v1.9 (-complevel 2)

Replaces E4M6, obviously.
Supports all three difficulties and singleplayer/co-op/deathmatch.

Looks like no one is working E4M7? I can take that one contribute what is to be a poor recreation. :)

2 hours ago, revlis said:

Looks like no one is working E4M7? I can take that one contribute what is to be a poor recreation. :)

That brings us back to 2 maps remaining!