Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

The Doom Master Wadazine #11 (The Rising!) - Feat. John Romero Q&A! Jim Valavanis interview, Multiplayer Doom with HumanBones, From A(bsolution) to Z(Doom), Eviternity a modern classic, Bourgeois Megawad, Doomkid interview and more!

Recommended Posts

GRAND. So glad to see the interview with @jval up in there. I cannot promise a statue, but a interview is the second best option ;) It was about time this figure from the forefront got the credits he deserves.

 

Beyond tooting my own horn: Seeing Romero in it thanks to Roebloz is great. Once again, a work of art. The graphicians talents are beyond amazing and Wadazine is just a pleasure to write for. I couldn't imagine a better bunch of similar minded Sargeants pulling this off on a regular basis.

 

Also love the Doom64 iterations article! Finally a compendium of all the Doom64 takes that exist out there all nicely bundled up. This will be a good read tomorrow morning on my way to work :)

 

A heartfelt thank you to the entire team into making this become a reality, once again.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the article on nu//void, guys! Since their name is seemingly not mentioned, I must hasten to add that @Baratus is the one responsible for all of the game's art direction. It was very much a team effort made during Global Game Jam 2018. I think we put the whole thing together in about 36 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Thanks for the article on nu//void, guys! Since their name is seemingly not mentioned, I must hasten to add that @Baratus is the one responsible for all of the game's art direction. It was very much a team effort made during Global Game Jam 2018. I think we put the whole thing together in about 36 hours.

36 hours! Impressive af. nu//void is one hell of a ride and deserves all the praise. Thanks a lot for all the content Jimmy!

Share this post


Link to post

I am not going to lie, I am disappointed by that John Romero Q&A: none of the answers he gave are new or particularly informative. :(

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know why but it's kind of surreal to see Romero answer my question on Doom 64. I just find it cool.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I am not going to lie, I am disappointed by that John Romero Q&A: none of the answers he gave are new or particularly informative. :(

yeah, I also felt a bit disappointed I was expecting something better, and some of them were he just kinda evading the questions but at least he accepted that is something, but I was expecting something more I guess

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

I want to thank @Nikoxenos and @4MaTC for their graphics design! Always really amazing and top notch quality stuff!

Thank you too for the heartwarming words!

 

39 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I am not going to lie, I am disappointed by that John Romero Q&A: none of the answers he gave are new or particularly informative. :(

I think as a celebrity he should accurately choose his words. Imagine what a shitstorm and holywar would it be if he'd say something like "I don't like brootal dewm" =)

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, 4MaTC said:

I think as a celebrity he should accurately choose his words. Imagine what a shitstorm and holywar would it be if he'd say something like "I don't like brootal dewm" =)

Yeah, that is probably why. Still a shame. 

Share this post


Link to post

I am glad I managed to interview Romero for this. No problem.

Anyways, good job to everyone that worked on this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

Congrats on the new release! Still with y'all amidst my real-life deal.

Hope everything is going to be better for you! The Wadazine missess you ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Yay Romero answered my question! There you go folks, Doom 1 was actually intended to be action based although Romero recognises that the atmosphere can pull off the horror effect.

 

Also wow, I didn't know this Wadazine was so professional. Look at all the articles and graphics. Great work guys.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi ! thank you for reviewing my 2 maps "Underground Rats" and "Ventose". :)

 

I just want to correct some informations shared in the reviews :

 

1) Underground Rats is vanilla compatible not limit-removing.

 

2) For Ventose you said :

 

Quote

One more thing to note is that you’llbe doing lots, and I mean LOTS ofstraferunning. If you hate straferunning, play another map because Roofi seems absolutely FIXATED on it here. Generally, though not always, the harder runs will lead to secrets. But the very fact you have to strafe run to make progress at certain points is....presuming you’ve had a certain experience with Doom at the very least. In any case, required straferunning is not intelligent level design

 

So if by straferunning, you mean jumping with strafe 50, no jump requires this kind of speedrunning trick.

 

However, it is true that some holes are so wide that the player has to run across them, but they do not require any particular technique. I've seen some casual players testing this map, without really struggling with the platforming.

 

I completely agree with you that this map is not accessible to all audiences otherwise. The complexity may not appeal to the non-regular player. I plan to make the keys earlier accessible on lower difficulties.

Share this post


Link to post

I absolutely love what you’re doing here, awakening nostalgia as well as being valuable news in the community! I can only imagine how much work it is to put together

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DavidN said:

I absolutely love what you’re doing here, awakening nostalgia as well as being valuable news in the community! I can only imagine how much work it is to put together


That is one of the main reasons why I joined up! The community has epic achievements, but a lot of the details and stories behind these events were not written down or hard to piece together. So I am really inspired to keep a record in the DMW. I have harassed Kaiser and Erick194 quite a bit to get them to tell me stories that weren't written down, so I could piece together their hard work. And now for the latest issue I began harassing Nevander and Molecicco as well!

I would like to hunt down more of the original Doom 64 developers for discussions. I have been fortunate to have talked with Aubrey Hodges a few times and he has shared so much from his work back then. I know some of the level designers have stopped by (Estrella, Heydelaar, Lewis) and the lead programmer Aaron Seeler has done an interview or two before, but it has been a while. It seems Sukru Gilman hasn't done many interviews. It's one of those things where I would love to show them how we've appreciated Doom 64 and kept it going. And then contrast it to how it was received in '97 and the war they had to release it.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Roofi said:

Hi ! thank you for reviewing my 2 maps "Underground Rats" and "Ventose". :)

 

I just want to correct some informations shared in the reviews :

 

1) Underground Rats is vanilla compatible not limit-removing.

 

2) For Ventose you said :

 

 

So if by straferunning, you mean jumping with strafe 50, no jump requires this kind of speedrunning trick.

 

However, it is true that some holes are so wide that the player has to run across them, but they do not require any particular technique. I've seen some casual players testing this map, without really struggling with the platforming.

 

I completely agree with you that this map is not accessible to all audiences otherwise. The complexity may not appeal to the non-regular player. I plan to make the keys earlier accessible on lower difficulties.

@LadyMistDragon Some comments you should read!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, DavidN said:

I absolutely love what you’re doing here, awakening nostalgia as well as being valuable news in the community! I can only imagine how much work it is to put together

I love reading such positive comments, it's what keeps us going! We are making a great effort and it is thanks to the support of the community that we keep going. A whole month of work with little rest, but it's worth it.

 

1 hour ago, Immorpher said:


That is one of the main reasons why I joined up! The community has epic achievements, but a lot of the details and stories behind these events were not written down or hard to piece together. So I am really inspired to keep a record in the DMW. I have harassed Kaiser and Erick194 quite a bit to get them to tell me stories that weren't written down, so I could piece together their hard work. And now for the latest issue I began harassing Nevander and Molecicco as well!

I would like to hunt down more of the original Doom 64 developers for discussions. I have been fortunate to have talked with Aubrey Hodges a few times and he has shared so much from his work back then. I know some of the level designers have stopped by (Estrella, Heydelaar, Lewis) and the lead programmer Aaron Seeler has done an interview or two before, but it has been a while. It seems Sukru Gilman hasn't done many interviews. It's one of those things where I would love to show them how we've appreciated Doom 64 and kept it going. And then contrast it to how it was received in '97 and the war they had to release it.

The work you do and the dedication you have to D64 is admirable. You have helped to reveal the secrets of the community and shed more light on the giants that have worked on D64. Your support is invaluable and every time I receive a contribution from you I can't help but admire it!

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Roofi said:

Hi ! thank you for reviewing my 2 maps "Underground Rats" and "Ventose". :)

 

I just want to correct some informations shared in the reviews :

 

1) Underground Rats is vanilla compatible not limit-removing.

 

2) For Ventose you said :

 

 

So if by straferunning, you mean jumping with strafe 50, no jump requires this kind of speedrunning trick.

 

However, it is true that some holes are so wide that the player has to run across them, but they do not require any particular technique. I've seen some casual players testing this map, without really struggling with the platforming.

 

I completely agree with you that this map is not accessible to all audiences otherwise. The complexity may not appeal to the non-regular player. I plan to make the keys earlier accessible on lower difficulties.

I must just really suck with running then because that's where I get a little bit annoyed when I miss the same jump three times in a row when jumping is disabled (I can't remember if it was, but I guess that makes sense). It did make me think that some jumps that weren't possible were. I will admit I'm fairly bad with timed switch puzzles so I may not be that good with running generally? I did make it to the end, but it sure seemed like SR50 was required to get some of the secrets at least.

 

And sorry, you're very welcome! I thought it was important to say a few words on your maps because I would have likely never played 180 Minutes if it wasn't for the DW club. I would've have probably just played a few of the Heures 'd Agonie and never got around to it.. I'm almost starting to feel like that game journalist who ragequit Doom Eternal. Except of course, platforming in classic Doom objectively sucks in any situation and no one ever has any business using it even when it's soooo blatantly doable.

Edited by LadyMistDragon

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/4/2021 at 1:16 AM, Rudolph said:

I am not going to lie, I am disappointed by that John Romero Q&A: none of the answers he gave are new or particularly informative. :(

Unfortunately that is exactly what i felt aswell. I get why the questions were asked though: They were mostly by members that, for better or worse, wanted to have a question answered by John Romero. 

 

And so he did, because that's Romero. He will even sign Doom 3 if needed be :p

 

Not to blow my own horn, but i asked a few very specific questions regarding the NextSTEP original version of Doom.  Personally, that's the kind of question id love to ask. 

 

But lets stick to the positive. Roebloz managed to get Romero along. A great achievement.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

And so he did, because that's Romero. He will even sign Doom 3 if needed be :p

John Romero hates Doom 3?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

John Romero hates Doom 3?


Not per-se, he just wasn't involved in making that Doom. So it's kind of a meme to get him to sign Doom 3 boxes.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×