Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hayden49

Mission: Techbase, My doom episode I made (Now on idgames)

On 5/4/2021 at 1:39 AM, mxbobbie49 said:

Compatibility: Vanilla

Source ports tested with: Chocolate Doom, DSDA Doom, PRBoom+, crispy doom, GZDoom

IWAD: Doom 1

Maps: The whole first episode, E1M1 - E1M8, including E1M9

Music: E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, E1M4, The intermission screen, and the title screen have custom music that I made.

Gameplay: Single player

Multiplayer player starts: Yes

Difficulty settings: Yes

This is a Doom 1 episode by me, this is actually my first finished wad project. This isn't a very hard episode, its mostly techbase themed, but the last map, E1M8, is hell themed.

E1M6

image_2021-05-03_162100.png.f903472714cde8fab6a296fd1681c470.png

E1M4

Screenshot_Doom_20210503_104815.png.e0c337bb2f8c60f66d8a94c56b6c5c5b.png

E1M1

Screenshot_Doom_20210503_105149.png.ae8043bebe18daef312cb54dd446a740.png

E1M8

Screenshot_Doom_20210503_105504.png.22e421d3926bec9a749f606e401c430d.png

E1M5

Screenshot_Doom_20210503_104903.png.8800d34897e610672d6128fc9558ebbb.png

mydoomE.zip

That was quite the awesome Episode here !

I'm not really a huge fan of techbases in general, but I loved playing through and through. At times, the design even reminded me of Knee-Deep in the Dead quite a bit (minus the progressively more hellish elements of later levels, of course) !

The difficulty curve is well-adjusted, I say. Starting with a few monsters, escalating the action further (with the breaking point being the secret level) until the final level with a "dantesque" fight with three Spider Masterminds (I actually shat my pants here) !

I also have to mention the custom tracks you made by yourself are quite good. I wish there was more ;-;

The only minor criticism I would give to the WAD is more akin to E1M7 than the rest : I believe it would help making much more clearer paths to the secret zones here and there. It's a bit confusing sometimes, and I haven't been able to grab that Super Armor nor the Soulsphere towards the end :(

Overrall, it's a complete win on my side, and I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next time :O

Solid work for a first project. If classic 90's style is what you were going for then this definitely succeeded as it feels classic to the very bone. Simple but effective. I think for the next set you might try adding a bit more non-orthogonal shapes, I think that would be a good way to further liven up the environments. Orthogonality is not inherently bad of course but playing through the set in pretty much one sitting the lack of other shaped structures started to get more apparent. Combat-wise the set is fun, not too difficult like you said but with the amount of shotgunners you can't exactly waltz through the maps with no care either. I feel like you were surprisingly stingy with armor in a few maps even. Berserks in pretty much every map is an excellent touch, makes fighting hordes of pinkies not boring.

So yeah, good work. Definitely had fun with this.

UV FDAs in the attachment, recorded with glboom+ 2.5.1.3.

FDA_mydoome_e1.zip

Edited by Veinen

Super excited about this, E1s are my absolute favorite. I will add you to my comprehensive episode 1 list.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/119379-an-attempt-at-a-comprehensive-doom1-episode-1-replacements-list/

Here is one hour of game play on UV. I made it to Computer Station (I think). There I had to stop and take a break. I don't know how to edit video yet, so there is a long break where I had to answer the door. Sorry for that. I only had to save once, after you surprised me with Cacos and Pinkies. Otherwise I found a lot of health. Some encounters are ramping up the challenge unexpectedly. Like being put in front of a room full of imps, sadistically presenting rockets but no time to switch to the rocket launcher! Progression was not always clear, but I could figure it out. Initially I did not like all the Lost Souls but I got used to them in the end. Solid maps!

On 5/11/2021 at 5:04 AM, princetontiger said:

Love these techbase themes!!! Any reason you made this for Doom 1 instead of Doom 2?

i guess i just liked the format of the doom 1 episodes, with the 8 maps and the secret map reachable from e1m3.

I'm going to start this now. Nice first map I like the little secrets in there good times 

In E1M7 there's a pickup outside of the map north to the red final hallway. I found the BK door was sealed off after exploring the whole RK door annex and YK part, and since I didn't go for the soulsphere on the platform (because I was good on health) I missed three kills, not sure if that's a minor oversight though.

Oh well, good maps generally speaking, bit too heavy on the shotgun for my taste, but enjoyed my time regardless.

Two more

Why can't I find secrets anymore

Let my guard down here because doom 1 - they gave me a hard go