Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Side-O-Fries

What's your greatest Doom accomplishment?

What's something you've done in Doom where when you finished, you felt a genuine sense of pride? It could be anything. It could be in regard to any Doom release. Maybe it's not even beating a particular level or wad. It could be building your magnum opus of a level/wad.

For me personally, I'd say it was getting through Okuplok Slaughter Map on UV. (Granted, I save-scummed the hell out of it.) I remember the very first time I saw a TAS demo of that map and thinking it was just impossible. Over the period of about a year, I slowly worked my way through harder and harder wads until I decided to actually give Okuplok Slaughter Map a go, just to see if I could make it past the beginning imp staircase. Anyways, I enjoyed that map so much that I've played it a couple times now.

I once beat XXXI Cybersky on UV with a small amount of save scumming... It made me want to rip my hair out.

I know it doesn't sound that crazy, but I've only played doom for about 2,5 years.

Getting it to run in the first place on a 486DLC 40mhz with 4MB RAM back in 1994.

beating doom 2 without saves (and now im playing though tnt without saves and blind im already at map 19 and i even did the secret maps)

i also plan on doing that to plutonia and any addon from the unity port really

Probably spawning the creation of TNT Revilution.

Mapwise, probably getting through A.L.T.'s Map 11 on UV, and getting through the slaughter shit in 50 Shades of Graytall.

finally finishing the THFS mega wad after months of working on it improving maps fucking with slade and sooooooo much more

Doing my first ever demo and getting the courage to submit it.  My first about almost a year a go or so was a UV Max of Underhalls.  I got a bit hooked on it since I like seeing my times on the board even if they arn't records. 

Making good enough music that someone thought to invite me to the same project (TNT MIDI) as Stuart Rynn, Peter Lawrence, and Lee Jackson.

And in a couple months probably, I can add running a MIDI pack project to my list of accomplishments.

Just now, northivanastan said:

Making good enough music that someone thought to invite me to the same project (TNT MIDI) as Stuart Rynn, Peter Lawrence, and Lee Jackson.

And in a couple months probably, I can add running a MIDI pack project to my list of accomplishments.

i really want to get into midi music making but im so busy right now learning python, japanese and pixel art

I guess beating Alien Vendetta on UV without cheats, and before they changed map 25. That level was fun on a bun.

E1M3 UV-pacifist, pistol start, no saves. That was insane. I was so shocked, that I couldn't move for like 10 minutes.

I've also beaten a bunch of other levels pacifist, including E1M9, E1M5, E2M6, E3M9, E3M8, E4M2, E4M3, Doom 2 maps 5 and 11, Evilution map 7, Plutonia maps 2 and 24.

My other achievements include beating every map in both TNT and Plutonia on UV from pistol start with no saves, and beating the entirety of Doom 2 on UV deathless.

Beat E1M1 on Nightmare before my 2 year doom playing anniversary.

Me and Doom being together for the past twenty eight years. Sure there's been some ups and downs, thick and thin, but it's a close personal relationship that has stood the test of time.

12 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

After 19 years of wad making, heading a cacoward winning community project was a nice feeling

wait i didnt know you won a cacoward was it rowdy rudy2?

3 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

wait i didnt know you won a cacoward was it rowdy rudy2?

who else would make something so oopart as Rowdy Rudy's Revenge and Rowdy Rudy 2: POWERTRIP! and still make it fun and awesome?
Non other than our crazy vanilla wadist deathmatcher oldscholexual ;)

Just now, P41R47 said:

who else would make something so oopart as Rowdy Rudy's Revenge and Rowdy Rudy 2: POWERTRIP! and still make it fun and awesome?
Non other than our crazy vanilla wadist deathmatches oldscholexual ;)

these wads are so great i wonder why they arent in the unity port

Honestly...learning how to make DOORS work really opened up a lot for me (lol). I've been "mapping" since I was 8 years old (1995), and back then it was just a lot of linedef mazes, sectors in sectors with different textures/height, etc. yet I could NOT comprehend how to make doors work until one morning I booted up WadAuthor before driver's ed and it just clicked. Gave me my 4 best years of mapping in my life. 

Edited by MegaZzZeux

Getting a Cacoward Runner-Up last year is the current high point of my mapping, particularly as it means 25yoe is also in the Notable WADs article on the Doom Wiki. As a player, it was probably beating all of E1 on Nightmare in ZDoom many years ago... or getting a 1-shot kill on a Cyberdemon in the same port playing a Zort map, as it’s such a rare occurrence even with the ZDoom RNG.