• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

I need help choosing an FPS to play

Help me choose which classic FPS game/series to play  

50 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What classic FPS game/series in my library should I play through?

• Ultimate Doom (second playthrough) + Doom 2
    • Heretic/Hexen + Hexen 2
    • TNT Plutonia + TNT Evilution
    • Doom 64
    • Doom 3 + Resurrection of Evil
    • Wolfenstein 3D + Spear of Destiny
    • Quake 1 + Scourge of Armagon/DOPA
    • Quake 2
    • Quake 4
    • Daikatana
    • Half Life 1 + Opposing Force/Blue Shift
    • Half Life 2 + Episodes 1 & 2
    • Blood + Cryptic Passage
    • Duke Nukem 3D
    • Shadow Warrior + Wanton Destruction

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/21 at 05:09 PM

I recently beat Ion Fury on Ultra Viscera, and I'm looking to play through my back catalog of FPS games, but I can't decide which one to go with first. So I'm letting people here choose what I should try to fully play through next.

Edited by DavetheDoomguy

Since you've played at least one of those neo-retro shooters, I think you should consider Dusk and Devil Daggers as well.

That isn't my answer though, play Doom 2 if you haven't already.

I mean, yeah, I went with Blood, because Blood is fucking fantastic. But if you haven't played through Doom and Doom 2 (and your username is DavetheDoomguy, so you really should've played through them before taking that name) then you need to play Doom.

Doom 3 is alright, it's atmospheric enough, but it seems like it wears out it's welcome. It just drags on and on through the same lab setups, and Hell is so short that you barely get to appreciate it.

Heretic and Hexen, they're okay, worth a playthrough if you get bored.

Half-Life 2, I've only managed to get through it once, it really becomes a drawn out slog with the extended vehicle sections. The first Half-Life is pretty enjoyable, although it does have a few sections that tend to drag on for way too long. Opposing Force is much more condensed, and I think it outshines the original game.

Quake 1 and it's missions packs are fantastic, and yes you need to play them.

Quake 2 I could take or leave, it's not bad, but I never cared for the sci-fi aesthetic and I was hoping for a return to the Eldritch horror of the original game. Quake 4 I never finished, because it was more of everything that I didn't like about Quake 2. 

Duke 3D is pretty decent, and worth a playthrough, as is Shadow Warrior. IMO they come nowhere close to Blood in atmosphere and sheer fun, but others disagree. But they are worth playing.

Wolfenstein, I mean, play it if you want. It's fun for the first episode or two, but it gets really fucking boring really quick. I've gotten through four and a half episodes of the original, and all of Spear of Destiny, and it just becomes so ridiculously boring. I would rather play one of the Catacombs games.

And do not play Daikatana. Even with patches that improve the game, and give the NPC's invulnerability, it's still just a terrible game. Yes it gets slightly better after the first episode, but it's akin to someone handing you a stinky turd, and after you complain, they spray Febreze on it and hand it back to you.

Not trying to derail the thread completely, but should I play Doom 3? I'm not really one for horror, but It's the only one in the series that I haven't played or seen a video of. Seems fun from what I've heard, but still somewhat scary. I'm fine with a few frights Like I watch my sister play Zombie games, especially Dying Light, but I don't want to play a game along the lines of Resident Evil 7 or something like that. 

2 hours ago, Chip said:

Not trying to derail the thread completely, but should I play Doom 3? I'm not really one for horror, but It's the only one in the series that I haven't played or seen a video of. Seems fun from what I've heard, but still somewhat scary. I'm fine with a few frights Like I watch my sister play Zombie games, especially Dying Light, but I don't want to play a game along the lines of Resident Evil 7 or something like that. 

It's not like RE7, it uses monster closets and spawns frequently, but it's not a bunch of jump scares. If you haven't seen an imp for two minutes, one will probably come out of an access panel behind you pretty soon.

It's not a bad game at all, but it really felt more like Episode 1 became a 16 hour game. It's really worth a play though, it just really didn't feel like it lived up to the Doom name.

And if you get the BFG edition, they changed the lighting system to make it brighter, gave you a permanent flashlight, and increased the health and ammo.

Edited by Jello

I voted for Quake 1 + expansions. I played the hell out of Quake and thoroughly enjoyed it. Good times.

I think you should play everything on that list. Maybe play Daikatana last, though.

38 minutes ago, Chip said:

It's a good game, yes. Not a good Doom by Doom community standards, but worth a play nonetheless.

IIRC you are on console, so get the recent BFG port and start blasting demons.

I'd say go with Doom 2 first. It'll probably be easier to start with than Quake and the other Build games (on that note play Duke before you play the other two). Be sure to check out Unreal as well, though maybe not the second one.

Blood is the best option.

If you like the original game, there are some awesome custom mapsets for it like Bloody Pulp Fiction, French Meat, Bloodlines, and obviously, Death Wish.

Duke 3D would be a good choise, too. The original gampaing is quite good, but i grow dissatisfied of the lack of quality custom mapsets for vanilla Duke 3D.

Eduke32 is like the GZDoom version of Duke, and there are some not excellent but good non less for it, but i prefer the vanilla flavour.

25 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Blood is the best option.

If you like the original game, there are some awesome custom mapsets for it like Bloody Pulp Fiction, French Meat, Bloodlines, and obviously, Death Wish.

Duke 3D would be a good choise, too. The original gampaing is quite good, but i grow dissatisfied of the lack of quality custom mapsets for vanilla Duke 3D.

Eduke32 is like the GZDoom version of Duke, and there are some not excellent but good non less for it, but i prefer the vanilla flavour.

I forgot about Death Wish. Yes, play Blood and then play Death Wish. You'll thank yourself.

you should play system shock dude

it isnt a boomer shooter but its nice to have something different once a while 

the game is kinda clunky tho

I'm probably gonna keep the poll open for the next couple days, in case more people want to suggest or vote. But I can clarify some things for now, like which sourceports I'm using and stuff like that.

I have the current version of Raze for all the Build games listed besides Ion Fury, GZDoom for anything Doom/Heretic/Freedoom, Quakespasm and Yamagi for Q1 & 2, and LZWolf for Wolf3D. As for Doom 3, the normal version with the Enhanced patch. 

I'm already looking into getting DUSK, but I'll definitely check out Devil Daggers and Unreal. What's the recommended version of Unreal to buy (I know there's things like Unreal Gold and that, so I want to be certain I'm getting the best version)?

I have played through most of Ultimate Doom on Ultra Violence (I generally get overwhelmed and frantic around Episode 3), but I intend to play it again on a lower skill and take more time with it. Hardly played Doom 2, though, beyond the first 2-3 levels. 

And I have heard/seen some of Blood's Death Wish mod, but not the others, so I'll check those out in the next couple days and figure out how I'd need to play them with Raze/Fresh Supply. I'm open to suggestions for maps/mods for any of the games listed as well, since we're on the subject of it.

8 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

you should play system shock dude

it isnt a boomer shooter but its nice to have something different once a while 

the game is kinda clunky tho

Where is the original version of that available?

1 minute ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Where is the original version of that available?

i think its available on gog but man you really shouldint play the originall

the remaster is clunky but the original is a science calculator disguised as a game i really recommend you get the enhanced edition since it runs way better has support for higher resolutions and current systems and it controls less akward and to my knowledge it does not have an major changes from the original other then free look (the original has it but it didnt grab the mouse so it was an odd control scheme)

1 hour ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I'm already looking into getting DUSK, but I'll definitely check out Devil Daggers and Unreal. What's the recommended version of Unreal to buy (I know there's things like Unreal Gold and that, so I want to be certain I'm getting the best version)?

Get Unreal Gold, either on Steam or GOG, whichever is cheaper. Unreal Gold is the most currently updated version of Unreal, and it includes the "Return to Na Pali" mission pack. Which was an expansion pack, but it's worth playing. The games have actually aged pretty well in my opinion; they aren't as stunning as they were when they first game out, but back in 1998 they were absolutely jaw dropping. Especially the outdoor areas, it was just beautiful. You will want to install the 227i patch though, just for stability on a modern system, as well as better support for widescreen monitors.

https://www.oldunreal.com/downloads/unreal/oldunreal-patches/

Just make sure you get the UnrealGoldPatch227i.7z file there. Should be the tenth link in the downloads section. It's a great game, and definitely worth playing through.

As for Dusk, yes, get it when you can. It's a fantastic game, and one of the best games I've played in years, if not decades. It can be difficult at times, but it's combination of Quake movement and combat with Blood's atmosphere (especially during the first episode), with hints of STALKER and Half-Life, and a mix of Heretic/Hexen/Quake level design in the last episode make it an absolute blast to play through. I do have a few quibbling issues with some of the enemy and weapon designs, but they're not a big deal. It's by far my favorite of the new "boomer shooters".

Although Amid Evil is not without it's merits, it's also a really good game you might want to look in to, but I'm not that keen on the fantasy weapons. I like fantasy environments like caves and castles, but I still want a double barrel shotgun. Like Army of Darkness.

Edit: As for Devil Daggers, I personally wouldn't recommend it. It's one arena, with randomly spawning enemies, and you go until you die. There's really no variety, and it gets very boring very quickly. That's just my opinion, but with so many more enjoyable FPS games out there, I wouldn't spend my time and money on it.

Edited by Jello

18 minutes ago, Jello said:

Get Unreal Gold, either on Steam or GOG, whichever is cheaper. Unreal Gold is the most currently updated version of Unreal, and it includes the "Return to Na Pali" mission pack. Which was an expansion pack, but it's worth playing. The games have actually aged pretty well in my opinion; they aren't as stunning as they were when they first game out, but back in 1998 they were absolutely jaw dropping. Especially the outdoor areas, it was just beautiful. You will want to install the 227i patch though, just for stability on a modern system, as well as better support for widescreen monitors.

https://www.oldunreal.com/downloads/unreal/oldunreal-patches/

Just make sure you get the UnrealGoldPatch227i.7z file there. Should be the tenth link in the downloads section. It's a great game, and definitely worth playing through.

As for Dusk, yes, get it when you can. It's a fantastic game, and one of the best games I've played in years, if not decades. It can be difficult at times, but it's combination of Quake movement and combat with Blood's atmosphere (especially during the first episode), with hints of STALKER and Half-Life, and a mix of Heretic/Hexen/Quake level design in the last episode make it an absolute blast to play through. I do have a few quibbling issues with some of the enemy and weapon designs, but they're not a big deal. It's by far my favorite of the new "boomer shooters".

Although Amid Evil is not without it's merits, it's also a really good game you might want to look in to, but I'm not that keen on the fantasy weapons. I like fantasy environments like caves and castles, but I still want a double barrel shotgun. Like Army of Darkness.

Edit: As for Devil Daggers, I personally wouldn't recommend it. It's one arena, with randomly spawning enemies, and you go until you die. There's really no variety, and it gets very boring very quickly. That's just my opinion, but with so many more enjoyable FPS games out there, I wouldn't spend my time and money on it.

Amid Evil is one of the other games I looked at besides DUSK, I like some of the weapon designs and abstract levels with how beautiful the graphics are for it. Especially the one that fires planets. But DUSK has a lot of interesting gameplay mechanics from what I've seen, whether or not they serve a purpose in combat. Cooking meat, Superhot powerups, midair flips, all that stuff. Kinda like Build Engine games, in a sense, there's a lot of random things you can do/find and some of it benefits combat at times. 

If you haven't played Doom 2 and Final Doom yet, I recommend to play those before the others (your name is DavetheDoomguy after all :) )

If you played those already and you mentioned that you also played Ion Fury, then I recommend playing the big-3 classic build engine games (Duke3D, Blood, Shadow). Blood is the most polished of the three, but also the hardest. Duke is the easiest and the most accessible by a longshot, so I recommend playing Duke first and then play Blood and Shadow Warrior.

If not the build engine games, then I recommend playing through the classic Raven/id games like Heretic/Hexen and Quake 1/2.

To be honest, most of the games in your list are worth playing at least once. Except for Wolfenstein 3D guess (mostly because it grows old pretty quickly due to its primitiveness)

4 hours ago, Jello said:

And do not play Daikatana. Even with patches that improve the game, and give the NPC's invulnerability, it's still just a terrible game. Yes it gets slightly better after the first episode, but it's akin to someone handing you a stinky turd, and after you complain, they spray Febreze on it and hand it back to you.

It's not "that" bad. I played it for the first time about 3-4 years ago and again about a year ago. Yeah its not a great game, but it's decently enjoyable provided the companions are turned off and not playing the game on hard difficulty (Episode 1 is extremely rough on hard difficulty).

I actually enjoyed Daikatana more than Doom 3 and Quake 4. Is it bad?

3 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

If you haven't played Doom 2 and Final Doom yet, I recommend to play those before the others (your name is DavetheDoomguy after all :) )

If you played those already and you mentioned that you also played Ion Fury, then I recommend playing the big-3 classic build engine games (Duke3D, Blood, Shadow). Blood is the most polished of the three, but also the hardest. Duke is the easiest and the most accessible by a longshot, so I recommend playing Duke first and then play Blood and Shadow Warrior.

If not the build engine games, then I recommend playing through the classic Raven/id games like Heretic/Hexen and Quake 1/2.

To be honest, most of the games in your list are worth playing at least once. Except for Wolfenstein 3D guess (mostly because it grows old pretty quickly due to its primitiveness)

It's not "that" bad. I played it for the first time about 3-4 years ago and again about a year ago. Yeah its not a great game, but it's decently enjoyable provided the companions are turned off and not playing the game on hard difficulty (Episode 1 is extremely rough on hard difficulty).

I actually enjoyed Daikatana more than Doom 3 and Quake 4. Is it bad?

I'll probably wait out the poll for a couple days so I can see what comes out in the top 3 (or the games with the 3 highest percentages if everything's tied) at least, then decide from there. But I do intend to get through all of those eventually, since most of them are in my backlog of games I own but haven't fully or have barely played.

Play all of them. At the same time.

Quake 1 + Scourge of Armagon/DOPA.  You forgot Dissolution of Eternity as well.  Order would be Q1 > DOE > SOA > DOPA.  Then if you haven't gotten sick of Quake 1 by then, please check out Arcane Dimensions.  As a bonus you can try it out in DarkPlaces or similar advanced engine and get RT lighting plus all sorts of other eyecandy at your fingertips.  And then if you're still not sick of it, look up Quake 1.5 and run the original campaign again.

Will second on getting Dusk.  Especially if Quake 1 was something you really, really enjoyed and followed that content path at a minimum.  Amid Evil is kind of meh, too many episodes results in it feeling really repetitive like Serious Sam.

Unreal 1 (and maybe 2 though i'm unsure if it's classic shooter)

1 hour ago, Azuris said:

Do not play Daikatana.

Even with fan Patches.

but then how can he leave without his buddy superfly?

4 hours ago, vyruss said:

Quake 1 + Scourge of Armagon/DOPA.  You forgot Dissolution of Eternity as well.  Order would be Q1 > DOE > SOA > DOPA.  Then if you haven't gotten sick of Quake 1 by then, please check out Arcane Dimensions.  As a bonus you can try it out in DarkPlaces or similar advanced engine and get RT lighting plus all sorts of other eyecandy at your fingertips.  And then if you're still not sick of it, look up Quake 1.5 and run the original campaign again.

Will second on getting Dusk.  Especially if Quake 1 was something you really, really enjoyed and followed that content path at a minimum.  Amid Evil is kind of meh, too many episodes results in it feeling really repetitive like Serious Sam.

Unfortunately, I don't have Dissolution of Eternity right now, but I have the other 2. I have tried DarkPlaces before, but the fullscreen was acting weirdly and the screen wasn't centered the way it should have been (the gun was to the left or right instead of in the center like it should be). If I can get it running properly, I'll play Arcane Dimensions/Quake 1.5 with it.

I've seen a lot of Dusk and Amid Evil stuff on YouTube, and Dusk has always seemed like the better choice to go with. I'll probably get Dusk first when I can.

I chose Plutonia & Evilution as a troll vote; my honest vote would be Doom 2. It's basically the reason why Doom has had the longevity it's had.

Worth playing.

1 hour ago, omalefico32x said:

but then how can he leave without his buddy superfly?

"Superfly Johnson? Huh... John, do you have a brain tumor? Are you struggling with drug addiction? Please tell us how we can help, we love you."

I'm amazed that conversation apparently never happened during development.