Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tony_Pepporoni

Favorite Rapper?

Back on-topic, let's have some more Wu-Tang:

[Sort of a slant answer, but picking a favorite among the clan is like deciding which god is the mightiest.]

22 hours ago, jmac said:

Rap really isn't a genre that I ever got into, but I've become a fan of Danny Brown. Also Death Grips, but I'm not even sure if everyone would consider them rap.

Danny Brown is 100% rap.

10 minutes ago, Xaser said:

[Sort of a slant answer, but picking a favorite among the clan is like deciding which god is the mightiest.]

Definitely, Ghostface, though Raekwon comes close. 

42 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Danny Brown is 100% rap.

I know, it was just Death Grips that I wasn't sure was considered entirely rap. I guess the way I worded it does make it sound I was talking about both.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

:video:

Thanks for this, I've been looking for this song for a while and I can never remember who did it!

34 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

Thanks for this, I've been looking for this song for a while and I can never remember who did it!

Always a pleasure to unearth the good stuff (not wanting to sound to ... Necro )

Spoiler

Some tunes ^

Also, it's very bad to frame what TI did as "risk aversion" or something like that. It's just disgusting possessiveness over someone else's body, conscious or not. See: the long, long history of arranged marriages, often hinging on using women as a pawn in a power struggle or something similar, also very heavily hinged on virginity. The modern version of this is dads who maintain a possessive stance over their daughters, ie: we have all heard of the dad who greets his daughter's date at the door and passively aggressively "jokes" about killing him if he does anything to her, or whatever the flavor of it is that you get told. There's a difference between maintaining a reasonable eye on what your kids are doing and controlling them and their actions. It often ends up creating distrust and animosity, the same way you'd feel completely out of control if your parents removed the lock on your bedroom door and just let themselves in at any and all times.

Anyway, you're allowed to like TI's music and whatever else dude. No one's out here going to crucify you for liking it, lol. But please don't frame things he's doing as something that is reasonable or even understandable, it's a really twisted way to look at it.

Prodigy from the Infamous Mobb Deep, RIP.

"Life is a gamble, we scramble for money,
I might crack a smile, but ain't a damn thing funny"

If I pruned this thread it would be pretty short. Can we stay on topic and just post those vids of your favourite rappers and be done with it.

If there is anymore heated discussion over who did what and when or whatever then the thread will be closed.

yeah, what Liberation said. Here's two songs from my fav rappers:

I love hip hop, but way too many rappers to name favorites: Biggie, Pac, Em, J. Cole, Kendrick, Tribe Called Quest (Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders slap so hard), MF DOOM and Madvillain, Logic, Lil' Flip (Undaground Legend is crazy good), Nas, Common, The Fugees, Kanye (1st 3 albums are *chef's kiss*), Outkast, Mos Def and Talib Kwali (Blackstar is so damn good), Busta Rhymes, Jay-Z... I used to really like Odd Future, namely Tyler, Earl, Hodgy and Domo. 

Thanks to my older brother for playing a Fugees tape non-stop and watching Above The Rim all the time. I probably wouldn't have gotten into hip hop as much without him. He used to make some rap songs, I tried my hand at it as well a few years ago.

EDIT:

Here's my soundcloud where I posted some beats I made and a song I did: 

Edited by R4L

The aversion to "Mumble Rap" is funny because to me it's just like death metal growls

"I can't even tell what they're saying!" "Yeah me neither, but it sounds cool"

And then after you've listened for a while you can pretty much understand all the words haha

Future, Lil Uzi Vert, and Juice WRLD (RIP) i'd name as modern favorites

Wu-Tang of course would probably be my default answer, like @Xaser said it's impossible to pick just one of them

Lil Wayne is another that comes to mind people think he's just some dumb auto-tuned pop rapper but he's done a lot of great stuff outside his hits. Carter 2 is solid gold imo

Edited by DuckReconMajor

On 5/17/2021 at 7:39 AM, Maribo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Some tunes ^

Also, it's very bad to frame what TI did as "risk aversion" or something like that. It's just disgusting possessiveness over someone else's body, conscious or not. See: the long, long history of arranged marriages, often hinging on using women as a pawn in a power struggle or something similar, also very heavily hinged on virginity. The modern version of this is dads who maintain a possessive stance over their daughters, ie: we have all heard of the dad who greets his daughter's date at the door and passively aggressively "jokes" about killing him if he does anything to her, or whatever the flavor of it is that you get told. There's a difference between maintaining a reasonable eye on what your kids are doing and controlling them and their actions. It often ends up creating distrust and animosity, the same way you'd feel completely out of control if your parents removed the lock on your bedroom door and just let themselves in at any and all times.

Anyway, you're allowed to like TI's music and whatever else dude. No one's out here going to crucify you for liking it, lol. But please don't frame things he's doing as something that is reasonable or even understandable, it's a really twisted way to look at it.

This is why you shouldn't demonize people you personally know nothing about because then all you have is shitty persuasions and "lessons" as well as history that has no possible furthering comparability to the situation without anything to back it up, a practice logically frowned upon by most professional lawyers

Is it wrong if I say Adam Yauch, Michael Diamond, and Adam Horowitz?

I love the Beastie Boys, and I realize they're "Rap Lite". I have tried many times to get into actual rap, but I just can't. I've listened to NWA, Kanye, Snoop Dogg, DMX and Wu Tang, those are just the ones that I've really sat down and listened to. I've heard so many other rap songs just relaxing with people, or riding in their cars, and it's just never grabbed me.

I told my older brother "Yeah, I listened to 36 Chambers, and I didn't really like it. Maybe I should try listening to another Wu Tang album." He said "If you didn't like 36 Chambers, you won't like anything else they've done."

Fair enough. I just don't think I can understand it. Not that I can't understand the lyrics, I just don't get the emotion behind it. And I won't pretend to. I grew up poor, I grew up in shitty neighborhoods, I knew plenty of Native American kids and considered them friends, had plenty of white trash friends as well. I only knew one African American kid, and we were friends.

But I think there's something that I'm missing with rap music, and I don't think it'll change. I don't think it can change, and I won't force it.

I know there's fantastically talented rappers, and I wish I could appreciate their music. There's probably a bunch of shitty rappers out there as well. I hate depriving myself of great music, but I just don't have the ear or the background for it.

Love the Beastie Boys though.

15 minutes ago, Jello said:

I love the Beastie Boys, and I realize they're "Rap Lite". I have tried many times to get into actual rap, but I just can't. I've listened to NWA, Kanye, Snoop Dogg, DMX and Wu Tang, those are just the ones that I've really sat down and listened to. I've heard so many other rap songs just relaxing with people, or riding in their cars, and it's just never grabbed me.

I told my older brother "Yeah, I listened to 36 Chambers, and I didn't really like it. Maybe I should try listening to another Wu Tang album." He said "If you didn't like 36 Chambers, you won't like anything else they've done."

Fair enough. I just don't think I can understand it. Not that I can't understand the lyrics, I just don't get the emotion behind it. And I won't pretend to. I grew up poor, I grew up in shitty neighborhoods, I knew plenty of Native American kids and considered them friends, had plenty of white trash friends as well. I only knew one African American kid, and we were friends.

But I think there's something that I'm missing with rap music, and I don't think it'll change. I don't think it can change, and I won't force it.

I know there's fantastically talented rappers, and I wish I could appreciate their music. There's probably a bunch of shitty rappers out there as well. I hate depriving myself of great music, but I just don't have the ear or the background for it.

Love the Beastie Boys though.

Did you try any 2000's rap? there is some good ones, because i couldn't exactly agree those are great introductions into rap, because Dmx is Discovery dark, music average wise and i'd think you'd really have to be a fan and get into Kanye(evn though he is 2000's, i'd think he is really his own beast out of anything else within that time period) , plus Wu Tang kinda uses rap like their own Blank paged book or so i believe, plus NWA and Snoop Dogg are kind of a mixed bag, so if you have problems with that i'd reccomend maybe Gucci Mane's Chicken Talk, Nas's Stillmatic or Illmatic 90's wise, Paul Wall's The People's Champ, or Pastor Troy's By Any Means Neccesary.

I was a big DMX fan back in the late 90's early 00's. Although not my cup of tea as such these days, I was still a bit gutted to hear that he had passed away the other day.

And also if i may add to the T.I. Related argument Deyjah could have also been sexually assaulted by people T.I. Affiliates himself with and considering he could have new people rolling into his features and group and they could possibly need to know T.I.'s addresses let alone needing to meet T.I. at his house, therefore he may not even be wrong the more my mind clears with potential reasons and considering that it is so common for people who have been raped to only admit it when it is too late that legal rape and sexual assault related agencies actually try to educate and encourage children to confess their victimhood, i would start not doubting T.I. is a good person as well

On 5/16/2021 at 1:26 PM, Dubbag said:

any rappers on here? I feel it would be cool do to like a Doomworld Cypher lol. like everyone writes a verse in their posts lol

yo its dubbag,

you already know

gonna hit you with that doomworld flow

is this shit corny?

probably so

but I be makin' videos and let my humor go

i got alot of friends such as 1destro

lippeth made the banner for Dubbag's Wad show

When you hear my music

you'll love listening to it

that's how I carry it

and that's how imma do it

...sorry... im not a rapper lol

that's pretty decent actually for a normal freestyle let me try one i think it likely won't be that good either

Ay it's Tony, comin' in planning to take the crown from the Sony

Cause i feel like it's bologna

and if i agreed it would be phony

i don't want to be that guy who's boney

without his spine or owning

i go into my mind for a self loaning

i say i hate some people but sometimes i'm also self loathing

i don't really agree with Death Grips because have the mannequin but i'm pretty sure they don't have clothing

all while sometimes i'm croaking

sometimes i'm choking

in what i have to say but other than that i'm almost cloaking

and i'm sure that's my self lowkey

and neither can i leave no key.

11 hours ago, Jello said:

I don't think i've ever heard Beastie Boys referred to as 'rap-lite'. They seem to be pretty well respected.

I honestly feel the same kind of thing about jazz. As a music lover I feel I should be way more into it, but it's never clicked for me.

Also the "can't understand the lyrics" bit was aimed at old-school hip-hop fans who act holier than thou about it, if that's what you were referring to.

Beastie Boys/Q-Tip/Saul Williams/Run The Jewels.

I don't listen to rap as much as I used to a few years ago, but I'll still put on one of these every once in a while. 

On 5/15/2021 at 10:27 PM, Nine Inch Heels said:

Some stuff I happen to like..

thanks for reminding me how fucking awesome busdriver is lol 

I'm speaking as succinctly as I can, here. This discussion is heartbreaking and disturbing and I have nothing to gain from deliberating its details. End. 

Back on topic, I found myself listening to bit of Cypress Hill the other day.

I was a big fan in the late 90's early 00's, although most of the albums were not quite as good as Black Sunday I did get most of them.. And that heavy metal/rock album they did was pretty cool, although I only appreciated it later in life.