Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dei_eldren

Sandy interview clip - Bored with Nelly

Just saw this interview and didn't find it posted here by anyone else.  It'll probably be of interest.  Other Sandy clips on the same channel.

I believe the "Snake" character Sandy is referring to is Tim Willits. My reasoning being that he was one of the 4 people who made all of Quake's maps (Romero, Willits, McGee and Sandy) at the time and is the only one Sandy doesn't name in the interview. Sandy also mentions how "Snake" stayed at id Soft while many other members left over a long period of time (Willits wouldn't leave id Soft until mid-2019). He's the only person who fits the profile because the only other person who stayed at id Soft longer was Kevin Cloud, who as we all know was an artist, not a level designer. So unless there's someone else who made levels for Quake who was never credited for their work, I think Willits is the snake.

Edited by Biodegradable

That's my take, too.  i've read some unpleasant stuff about Willits before, too, and this kind of confirmed it.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1986048/

The highlighting is mine.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:07 PM, Quasar said:

Romero didn't get proper credit for the work he WAS doing to keep id Software rolling while Carmack was having weird visions of himself in the Matrix due to working 12 hour days non-stop and somehow becoming even more anti-social than usual as a result. Besides Heretic and Hexen, which were already mentioned, he had a hand in putting together The Ultimate Doom, the Master Levels project, Final Doom, Strife, the console ports of Doom (such as PSX), coordinating a bunch of this stuff with GTI, etcetc. The narrative of him not working hard enough was very much Carmack and the other designers' POV, and all because they were frustrated with how Quake was turning into a shitshow due to the engine delays and lack of coherent vision (plus one certain one who shall remain nameless who was going around putting daggers into peoples' hands to get them to stab each other in the back). There's two sides to most stories, is what I'm getting at, and I don't really buy the narrative as it's often told at face value.