Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leejacksonaudio

What Are We Drinking?

11 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

what's the local brewery's name, if you don't mind giving it out?

Honkavuori. It's a Finnish name, rough translation would be "pine tree mountain". They make a pretty good lager that I've had a few times now, but I've generally liked all of their brews out of the ones I've tried. Was actually just browsing their website this morning and it turns out they make a licorice porter that I have yet to try. Should get on that.

13 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Was actually just browsing their website this morning and it turns out they make a licorice porter that I have yet to try. Should get on that.

Oh, now that scares me. I've tried Finnish licorice before - that salmiakki. That is, to my Texan palate, some sorry tasting stuff, forgive me for saying so. :)

Just now, leejacksonaudio said:

Oh, now that scares me. I've tried Finnish licorice before - that salmiakki. That is, to my Texan palate, some sorry tasting stuff, forgive me for saying so. :)

Heh, no worries. It ain't everyone's cup of tea, and I totally understand that. :D

I have these. Sometimes got more wines. Like trying different ones with my gf. The Kraken and Salmiakkikossu are stilll unopened. The vodka is pretty horrible if not mixed into anything, should get some tomato juice to make some Bloody Marys, everything else is pretty good as they are. Salmiakkikossu mixes nicely with ice coffee. Pink splotches are because I wasn't wearing much and the bottles reflected a bit too well.

S1uW8Nf.jpg

@leejacksonaudio salmiakki is best :D

4 hours ago, TwinBeast said:

To each his own. Some would find the grits that we Texans love to be foul. I love the little salt-and-butter-coated things. We don't make liquor out of them, though. :)

Voodoo Ranger was always my go-to.. Cheap, high ABV, decent taste for an IPA

24 minutes ago, Serum said:

Voodoo Ranger was always my go-to.. Cheap, high ABV, decent taste for an IPA

I've tried a couple of IPAs, but have never been able to get into the flavor of the hops. I'm more into stouts and Trappist ales, like our previously maligned Chimay. BTW, if you'll check out the new link, you'll find that they're not French - they're Belgian Trappist monks. :)

Another beer guy signing up. IPAs are probably my favorite but pretty much anything goes really. Sours seem to be the next big thing here right now but never had much of a taste for them personally. I enjoy trying out new stuff whenever possible and happy to say we have a decent craft beer culture here in Helsinki so new things to taste don't run out immediately. Impossible to say any one favorite but I'm a fan of some of the local breweries: Fat LizardStadin Panimo, Olarin Panimo and Vallilan Panimo to name a few (no english websites for the last two I'm afraid...). As for foreign breweries I guess Omnipollo from Sweden has left a bit of an impression, everything I've had from them has been really good.

For spirits I think gin (with tonic) would be my go to drink. Napue Gin by Kyrö Distillery in particular is a classic. Another really good local distillery with a bunch of good gins is The Helsinki Distilling Company. They have a cozy cocktail bar within the distillery too which I can definitely recommend for anyone visiting and into, you know, alcoholism.

A bit embarrassed to admit that whiskeys are still something I haven't learned to appreciate yet. I got a Caol Ila 12yo for my 30th birthday some time ago but haven't cracked it yet, kinda feeling like I have to save it for some special occasion heh. We had a mind to go to this local pub's whisky tasting thing (that is apparently not a shitty one) with a bunch of friends but corona struck and it got put off indefinitely. Maybe one of these days...

Edited by Veinen : fixed broken url tag

7 hours ago, TwinBeast said:

I have these. Sometimes got more wines. Like trying different ones with my gf. The Kraken and Salmiakkikossu are stilll unopened. The vodka is pretty horrible if not mixed into anything, should get some tomato juice to make some Bloody Marys, everything else is pretty good as they are. Salmiakkikossu mixes nicely with ice coffee. Pink splotches are because I wasn't wearing much and the bottles reflected a bit too well.

S1uW8Nf.jpg

I see a very dangerous cocktail being made :P

33 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

I see a very dangerous cocktail being made :P

Like vegan ice cream, maple syrup and a little bit of that Disaronno, was pretty yummy after a hot day walking outside. Maybe next time I'll try it with the Salmiakkikossu, I've already tried the Kraken with ice cream earlier.

I wonder if all the alcohol here is vegan, the only ones that say they're vegan are the Salmiakkikossu and the wine. Like most wines use some animal based stuff to make them have a better shinier colour or something... I guess most beers are vegan, and ciders?

In my fridge I've got some selection of beers and ciders... and the Becchi has been crying there for over a year.

76QtMT9.jpg

2 hours ago, Veinen said:

Another beer guy signing up. ... I enjoy trying out new stuff whenever possible and happy to say we have a decent craft beer culture here in Helsinki

As you're in Finland, you might wish to take at look at Malmgård's beers. I was there in 2019 and they all seemed good. I have a glass from there, but no beers, as transatlantic shipping would be pricey. Another brewery I visited in 2019 was the legendary Theakston's in Yorkshire, most famous for its Old Peculier. I was so tempted to buy their backward clock.

11 minutes ago, Grazza said:

As you're in Finland, you might wish to take at look at Malmgård's beers. I was there in 2019 and they all seemed good. I have a glass from there, but no beers, as transatlantic shipping would be pricey. Another brewery I visited in 2019 was the legendary Theakston's in Yorkshire, most famous for its Old Peculier. I was so tempted to buy their backward clock.

I've tasted and liked this: https://malmgardinpanimo.fi/product/malmgard-schwartz/

I was extremely pleasantly surprised by having a shot of medium range irish whiskey, say a Paddy's or Tulamore Dew, immediately followed by a shot of pickle brine.

I know it sounds weird but it works, the "high" you get is quite euphoric.

18 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

Kraken Rum

Hell, yes! One of my favorite brands.

15 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

*screams like a girl* 

Now you know how I felt when I discovered we have a musical celebrity amongst us. An not just any musician - the guy who gave us music for Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and more. [@leejacksonaudio, stop me if I gush too much. I tend to make a fool of myself when that happens.]

15 hours ago, PeterMoro said:

Kirin Ichiban is very nice, ye.

14 hours ago, SiMpLeToNiUm said:

I enjoy imbibing tasty things.

No kidding! You have a marvelous repertoire.

4 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

I'm more into stouts and Trappist ales, like our previously maligned Chimay. BTW, if you'll check out the new link, you'll find that they're not French - they're Belgian Trappist monks. :)

Yes, as soon as @Grazza mentioned Benin I immediately thought of Belgium, which does brew decent ale. Sadly, offerings from the small breweries don't receive the publicity that the giant breweries do. Thankfully, however, we have a thread such as this one where people from all over the world can share their (possibly local) favorites.

21 minutes ago, Snark said:

a shot of pickle brine

And here I thought I was the only one that had tried pickle brine in a cocktail. [I'll admit that you're using it as a chaser, not mixed in with the liquor.]

Some fresh water! Nothing can beat that

Spoiler

I drink non alcoholic beer whenever I can, as I'm 16, but I also try to not exceed the number of beers I drink (Usually 2) (Yes, long answer cuz my English isn't the best) And no, I can't buy it, it's against the law as it's still beer, my parents buy me a couple some weekends (but it's very rare)

1 hour ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Most are not, unless it states on the label.

1 hour ago, TwinBeast said:

Aww, kinda like finding out most wines are not vegan.

Yeast doesn't count as an "animal". They belong in the kingdom of fungi, making them equivalent to mushrooms.

Unless there is some other ingredient in beers and wines that I'm missing and that makes them non-vegan.

6 hours ago, ReX said:

Unless there is some other ingredient in beers and wines that I'm missing and that makes them non-vegan.

It tells you here: https://www.chooseveganism.org/is-beer-vegan/

I think the non vegan wines get something similar done to them to make them clearer/brighter/shinier. Previous vegan white wine was nearly transparent, that's pretty clear to me.

Had to search the english Term and in the End a german one is used...
So i bought two bottles of Kellerbier and i have some bottles Corona here.

That and the Arcade Stick i've got for my Birthday will make a fun day :P

3 hours ago, Gokuma said:

This is what I call a beer.

I've had that! At a restaurant called Fritzl's in Rowlett, TX. He does authentic Austrian and German food, and serves authentic German beer on tap to go with it! It got hit hard by the D/FW Snow Disaster (-2°F). Pipes burst *everywhere* in his restaurant. His landlord has been an asshole about the whole thing, and his insurance company has been even worse.  Still, he finally started rebuilding. He should be open in about 6-to-8 weeks, if his luck holds out.

I think the only IPA I've enjoyed is one called Cat Fight IPA from Bitter Sisters Brewing Company. My wife spotted it while I was beer hunting at a local Spec's. (She's drawn to any and all things cat related, and insisted that I try it.) It didn't have the overwhelming bitterness that other IPAs I've tried have had, so I was able to taste the real beer beneath the hops. I'd drink it again.

Rating on Untappd.com

I very much enjoy beer and, though I like to try new ones, I mostly go with one of our national brands, Super Bock.

original_bottle.png

14 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

My wife spotted it while I was beer hunting at a local Spec's.

Beer Hunters, Assemble!