Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
battlescroll

nostalgic console port

Recommended Posts

what doom port to a console do you have the most memories with, for example mine is the snes port. I remember as a kid i would play the mediocre doom and Wolfenstein ports and have a blast. I also remember beating it and jumping up and down with joy. Ah good times.

Share this post


Link to post

SNES because it was also my first, PSX because it was what I mostly played on until I had a PC.

Share this post


Link to post

32X, which was my first. And the Jaguar, which was my second, and still is something special to me for different color space used, which give this version a color tint and and smoother depth cueing, which fits the graphics style of Doom extremely well. I even prefer the Jaguar graphics over the Playstation colored sectors.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm rather fond of PSX Doom. I became a Doomer when the original game hit PC's back in the day, but what really got me going was Doom on the Sony Playstation. For me, it's the perfect combination of frenzied action and brooding horror with an atmosphere that definitely made a mark on me. And while Doom 64 is not a port, it's a fine successor to what made me love PSX Doom/Final. 

Share this post


Link to post

Mine was the SNES version. It was the first poer of Doom I've ever played, I played it before playing the original DOS

Share this post


Link to post

not a console port specifically but the psp version of doom legacy i used to play that a lot growing up

Share this post


Link to post

I had played quite a bit of the gba port of doom 2 through an emulator on my school laptop during lunch. Other than that my first real port was around the same time with the xbox 360 port of Doom & Doom 2.

Share this post


Link to post

I had the 32X port first and had Doom on the PC previously, but most memorable was without a doubt the PS1 port. The PS1's portrayal of the maps everyone knew with the lighting & colors and the more menacing score did a pretty good job of setting a real great tone for familiar settings. The PS1 Doom was also the first time I truly played death match. A friend and I both had copies, I bought the PS1 link cable, and we managed to set up a session. It was so much work we didn't do it again.

Share this post


Link to post

PSX Doom. I first played it a good few years after playing the PC original and loved the improved sound and the ambient soundtrack. Still much prefer the Playstation versions of Doom and Final Doom.

Share this post


Link to post

PSX Doom was the best goddamn Christmas gift I've ever received so yeah there's some pretty heavy nostalgia for it. To this day I'm kinda obsessed with it, which should be evident by half of my posts having something at least reference PSX Doom in some way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

PSX Doom. I still remember that cold autumn sunday at the local flea market when I brought it on a pirate 6-in-1 compilation (it had Duke Nukem: Time to Kill, DN: Total Meltdown, Doom, Codename Tenka, Final Doom and Hexen). Back then, it felt like the best day of my life lol

Ahhhh, sweet childhood memories~...

Edited by LUISDooM

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, LUISDooM said:

PSX Doom. I still remember that cold autumn sunday at the local flea market when I brought it on a pirate 6-in-1 compilation (it had Duke Nukem: Time to Kill, DN: Total Meltdown, Doom, Codename Tenka, Final Doom and Hexen). Back then, it felt like the best day of my life lol

Ahhhh, sweet childhood memories~...

Tenka! I wish there was a remaster for it. For the PS1 the graphics were fantastic, almost as good as the Quake II port, which must've been conjured to existence with some kind of black magic to get it running and looking so good on a mere PS1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Muusi said:

Tenka! I wish there was a remaster for it. For the PS1 the graphics were fantastic, almost as good as the Quake II port, which must've been conjured to existence with some kind of black magic to get it running and looking so good on a mere PS1. 

Yep, I remember I didn't liked it at first, since it felt a bit weird to me (the Hexen/Doom CDDA music on this game didn't help too lol). When playing it years later I liked it a bit more. It was pretty impressive for the good 'ol PS1.

I agree, a remaster of this game would be interesting to see XD

Share this post


Link to post

I remember seeing guides for Tenka in EGM2 and being excited over it because while Doom had three keys, Tenka has SIX!!!

 

Never did get to play it though. There was a version of it for PC, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

PSX Doom. That beautiful night sky texture with the Toxin Refinery music is an image straight from my childhood.

 

I played PSX Doom most days for four years, then I couldn't stand to play it any more! To this day I get a suffocating, lonely, forlorn, creeped-out feeling when playing it.

 

If you put the PSX Doom sountrack to any modern horror game, you elevate the game way beyond its origin. I couldn't have got through Outlast or Evil Within 2 if Aubrey Hodges had done the music.

Share this post


Link to post

The xbla port is nostalgic as it was what got me into Doom in the first place. Decided to load it up again. The music is really off, but having the left trigger switch your aim sensitivity from low to high in an instant is really cool and works suprisingly well. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Charlie Love said:

but having the left trigger switch your aim sensitivity from low to high in an instant is really cool and works surprisingly well. 

Now this is something that I wish the more recent ports did.

If I had to choose a port that I have fond memories with, it'd have to be the GBA ports for sure. It was my first real playthrough of both DOOM and DOOM II back when I was in high school. I tried getting them working on a computer through DOSBox, but I was so computer-illiterate at the time that I didn't bother with the PC version until a couple of years later.

Share this post


Link to post

Playing Doom on the SNES, on a demo system, here in Vancouver, Canada, at a place called "Master Player".  It was like a Blockbuster, that focused on having events, videogame marathons, POG tournaments.  The first version I owned, was the PSX version, loved it!  Doom 64 came out, and it solidified my favorite version to date! :)

Share this post


Link to post

JagDoom and PS1 Doom are both awesome, even today. GBA Doom was fine for the time.

 

I pity anyone who was exposed to Doom on SNES, 32X, 3DO, or Saturn. And I say this as someone who bought literally all of those consoles.

 

Doom 64 is the best game in the series but it's not a port, it's an original game.

 

After that the console versions were pretty much just the PC .wads with various limitations.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/20/2021 at 3:02 AM, famicommander said:

I pity anyone who was exposed to Doom on SNES, 32X, 3DO, or Saturn. And I say this as someone who bought literally all of those consoles.

SNES Doom was my first Doom and considering the sheer limitations it was put up against, I think it's a far better port than most people give it credit for. Randy also did a hell of a job on this version - right down to writing a custom engine for it and everything. Given the constraints, SNES Doom is actually not nearly as bad as many like to say it was. And its maps were the PC originals, not the cut-down JagDoom versions, so in some senses, it was even more faithful than versions like the PS1!

 

32X was absolutely crunched - Carmack had to meet the platform's launch deadline, which in turn meant the game needed to be done in like 2-3 months. As 32X Resurrection proved, with more time (and a bit more ROM space), this could've been a totally killer version of it. Even as-is, FM farts and cut episode aside, it's a perfectly serviceable Doom experience.

 

3DO, that was due to the devs' hubris. That game's problems are well-documented by Burger Becky.

 

Saturn actually at one point had a hardware-accelerated, 60 FPS version up and running, but Carmack himself vetoed that due to affine texture warping, which forced Jim Bagley to essentially just quick-and-dirty port the PS1 version because of the approaching deadline. Carmack later did a mea culpa over this decision, saying he should've let Bagley experiment to see if the warping could've been reduced.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

SNES Doom was my first Doom and considering the sheer limitations it was put up against, I think it's a far better port than most people give it credit for. Randy also did a hell of a job on this version - right down to writing a custom engine for it and everything. Given the constraints, SNES Doom is actually not nearly as bad as many like to say it was. And its maps were the PC originals, not the cut-down JagDoom versions, so in some senses, it was even more faithful than versions like the PS1!

 

32X was absolutely crunched - Carmack had to meet the platform's launch deadline, which in turn meant the game needed to be done in like 2-3 months. As 32X Resurrection proved, with more time (and a bit more ROM space), this could've been a totally killer version of it. Even as-is, FM farts and cut episode aside, it's a perfectly serviceable Doom experience.

 

3DO, that was due to the devs' hubris. That game's problems are well-documented by Burger Becky.

 

Saturn actually at one point had a hardware-accelerated, 60 FPS version up and running, but Carmack himself vetoed that due to affine texture warping, which forced Jim Bagley to essentially just quick-and-dirty port the PS1 version because of the approaching deadline. Carmack later did a mea culpa over this decision, saying he should've let Bagley experiment to see if the warping could've been reduced.

I'm sorry you had to play SNES Doom as a kid and I'm sorry you've convinced yourself it wasn't that bad, like a battered woman telling the police, "He doesn't really mean it!"

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, famicommander said:

I'm sorry you had to play SNES Doom as a kid and I'm sorry you've convinced yourself it wasn't that bad, like a battered woman telling the police, "He doesn't really mean it!"

Uhh, no, you wouldn't sway me either way - because I agree with your point. I'll fully acknowledge that it's not exactly the best way to play Doom, and that compared to many other ports, it was vastly inferior.

 

However, when you remember the SNES has a dinky CPU (it didn't even top 4 MHz) and even with the SuperFX2 doing all the rendering it was still rendering about 10 FPS, you quickly begin to realize just how much of a technical marvel it was that the game could be made to run at all on hardware that had no business running it.

 

And that, sir, is where we differ. You're looking at purely the gameplay side of things; I'm looking at the technical.

 

You want to see what a non-accelerated FPS on the SNES looks like? Here you go.

 

 

Notice the extremely tiny maps. Notice the complete lack of textures. Notice the incredibly tiny viewing window/huge HUD. Notice that it's STILL a janky, slow-FPS mess.

 

Kinda puts SNES Doom in a different light, don't it?

 

Is it an ideal version of Doom to play? Absolutely not, there's no way in heck I'd recommend it other than for the curious and for the technical achievement. But it WAS a technical achievement, and you shitting on it isn't going to ever take that away from it.

 

You can definitely point out it's a plenty-flawed edition, and I will definitely agree with you that it's got many, many flaws (many of which are due to the fact the SuperFX could only address 2 MB of ROM - so it's actually got even less data than the 32X version's 3 MB cart, even though it actually had more of the levels... tut tut, Carmack!), but that doesn't make it less technically impressive, and I'll argue with you over that until you're absolutely sick and tired of hearing me.

Share this post


Link to post

You play the game. You don't grade on a scale for technical limitations. Either it's fun or it ain't, and it ain't. It could be the most technically impressive thing in the history of the world and it wouldn't matter one bit because it sucks major ass to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, famicommander said:

You play the game. You don't grade on a scale for technical limitations. Either it's fun or it ain't, and it ain't. It could be the most technically impressive thing in the history of the world and it wouldn't matter one bit because it sucks major ass to play. 

Was fun to me. And considering the response when Randy began releasing its source code on here some time ago, was fun to more than a few more people as well.

 

I've played worse versions of FPS games on even more powerful hardware than that. You want bad? The 3DO port, that's bad. That hardware had no business running the game that awfully.

 

And even on Doomworld, you'll find plenty of split opinions. The ones that seem to come up most often are SNES, 3DO, and 32X.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Was fun to me. And considering the response when Randy began releasing its source code on here some time ago, was fun to more than a few more people as well.

 

I've played worse versions of FPS games on even more powerful hardware than that. You want bad? The 3DO port, that's bad. That hardware had no business running the game that awfully.

 

And even on Doomworld, you'll find plenty of split opinions. The ones that seem to come up most often are SNES, 3DO, and 32X.

Which circles me back to the battered spouse metaphor.

 

Sorry man, but SNES, 3DO, 32X, and Saturn ports are ridiculously, ludicrously bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, famicommander said:

Which circles me back to the battered spouse metaphor.

 

Sorry man, but SNES, 3DO, 32X, and Saturn ports are ridiculously, ludicrously bad. 

And again, you're gonna have different people with different opinions. Plenty of people will defend the 32X port, maybe some with the Saturn, and obviously a few with the SNES.

 

The only one that virtually everyone agrees is awful is the 3DO. Great soundtrack, everything else is a shambles, as would be expected when you hand it off to a single dev, with no knowledge of the engine, and a ten-week deadline to produce the port.

 

Technically, if you're looking for "awesome port" even the PS1 port - near-universally considered the best contemporary port - has plenty of issues, with some missing levels, and framerate that is usually 20 FPS at best (and can dip down to single digits in some Final Doom maps).

 

If that's your logic, you have no business touching a port of Doom before the OG XBox one.

Edited by Dark Pulse

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, famicommander said:

You seem pretty invested in defending horrible games. I'm sorry for whatever happened to you that made you this way.

What's your point then?

 


 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×