Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
battlescroll

ranking shotguns

i want to see what this community thinks how the shotguns should be ranked from worst to best (super shotguns don't count)

Well, the Shotgun is just a classic, its the best workhorse weapon. Then there's the Shotgun, which I also adore, but sadly doesn't have many animations. Then, we have the Shotgun, which also acts as a grenade launcher and then there's the Shotgun which is practically useless, since its spread is insane.

i personally prefer the shotgun, but i get why others would prefer the shotgun shotgun or even the shotgun shotgun shotgun shotgun. they both have their uses and compliment certain playstyles

but anyone who likes the shotgun shotgun shotgun is a fucking moron and should be shot with a shotgun shotgun shotgun shotgun shotgun shotgun shotgun shotgun

starting to get sick of seeing all the praise the shotgun is getting in this, it's a literal garbage crutch weapon only used by n00bs

real gamers use the shotgun instead

1. Doom Eternal Super Shotgun

2. Doom II Super Shotgun

3. Doom 2016/Doom Eternal Shotgun

4. Doom / Doom II Shotgun

5. Doom 3 ROE Super Shotgun

3 - 999999. Basically any shotgun made in any game past or future.

1000000. Doom 3 Shotgun

Assuming that the OP means "ranking the shotguns in the entire Doom series" and not some shitpost nonsense, the ranking order is pretty obvious. Fuck it, I'll add the Quake, Wolfenstein, and Rage shotguns too just to make up for the rest of this thread.

Spoiler

1. Doom 64

It's just the classic Doom shotgun with a slightly faster rate of fire. The animation is shit obviously but from a purely gameplay perspective, it's objectively superior.

2. Doom/Doom II

It's the benchmark that not only the Doom shotguns are ranked against, but it set the standard for all FPS shotguns to live up to. Frankly, there are still games today with shotguns that don't measure up to the original Doom shotgun. What exactly am I supposed to complain about, the giant hand on the sprite?

3. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Yeah, even though this one's only semi-auto instead of full-auto, I liked this one better than the main campaign's for some reason. It just felt stronger, somehow? Also the sound effects aren't too bad. When the enemies use it, it almost sounds like the Indiana Jones pistol sound.

4. Wolfenstein: The New Order/The New Colossus/Youngblood

I actually didn't play the latter two but I'm assuming they're more or less the same stats. Dual-wielding auto shotguns is such a cool concept that works with these dumb as shit games, but it feels like they made individual shots wimpier just to not make dual-wielding too broken. I'd rather just have a more powerful auto-shotgun than dual-wielding weaker auto-shotguns. I don't know, I'm weird. Also the sound design is not quite as boomy as I'd like for these kinds of games.

5. Rage

It's a COD-era shotgun for sure but it feels really, really good to use. I didn't play the second game, oh well.

6. Quake 1

It's weak as shit, but that's okay. It gives players a decent mid-to-long range option unlike the Doom pistol and it's fun to gib fodder with Quad Damage.

7. Quake 3/Quake 4 Multiplayer

It's not bad as the middle-ground between a shotgun and a super shotgun, but in Quake 3's PvP setup, it's just kind of mediocre and hardly gets used. Awesome sound effects, though, if you have good headphones or speakers.

8. Quake Live

It's just a worse version of Quake 3's with worse spread, slightly worse damage, and limited range of 1500 units according to the wiki. Did they really need to make Quake 3's shotgun even worse?

9. Quake Champions

It's just a worse version of Quake 3's with worse sound effects. And a worse game to use it in.

10. Quake 4

Forgettable, much like the game it came from. It's basically Raven's apology for the Doom 3 shotgun, but that doesn't excuse its limited range and lame "shwoosh" firing SFX.

11. Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War

Yeah, remember this port? It added a shotgun. You only got to use it 3 times but it felt alright and satisfying those few times.

12. Doom Eternal

I mean it's fine, I guess? The spread's okay but it's so fucking weak, it takes something like 13 shots to kill a Mancubus at point blank. Full-auto basically exists to remedy its pathetic strength, and even that's made useless by the Sticky Bomb which is far more ammo efficient and works better with the quick-swapping system. The primary fire's SFX are also really wimpy, like a bass-boosted cat sneezing.

13. Quake 2

It's weak as shit, it recycles the Quake 1 Nailgun sound, its design is hideous, and it has the exact same RoF as the Super Shotgun so it's immediately made useless.

14. Doom 2016

Just fucking trash. The spread is so wide that it usually takes 3 shots to kill an Imp within 6 feet. Explosive Shot and Charged Burst lose all effectiveness once you get the Rocket Launcher and Super Shotgun. Remember when John Romero said "they got the weapon and monster stats exactly the same as in the originals"? I remember.

15. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

I think I played the demo years ago with bots for like, 5 minutes and I barely remember the shotgun. But that's okay, barely anyone remembers this game.

16. Doom 3

Possibly the worst shotgun to ever exist in any game ever. Yeah, it kills anything in 2 shots if you're at melee range. So what? If it's not fun to use, why bother? The regular Machine Gun is better for most things early on. You can't even use the "it's meant to be a horror game" excuse because Resident Evil 4 came out a year later and its shotgun makes Doom 3's look even more pathetic by comparison.

Edited by I Drink Lava : i forgot the freaking quake 4 shotgun, also etqw was a thing

1 minute ago, I Drink Lava said:

Assuming that the OP means "ranking the shotguns in the entire Doom series" and not some shitpost nonsense, the ranking order is pretty obvious. Fuck it, I'll add the Quake, Wolfenstein, and Rage shotguns too just to make up for the rest of this thread.

Reveal hidden contents

1. Doom 64

It's just the classic Doom shotgun with a slightly faster rate of fire. The animation is shit obviously but from a purely gameplay perspective, it's objectively superior.

2. Doom/Doom II

It's the benchmark that not only the Doom shotguns are ranked against, but it set the standard for all FPS shotguns to live up to. Frankly, there are still games today with shotguns that don't measure up to the original Doom shotgun. What exactly am I supposed to complain about, the giant hand on the sprite?

3. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Yeah, even though this one's only semi-auto instead of full-auto, I liked this one better than the main campaign's for some reason. It just felt stronger, somehow? Also the sound effects aren't too bad. When the enemies use it, it almost sounds like the Indiana Jones pistol sound.

4. Wolfenstein: The New Order/The New Colossus/Youngblood

I actually didn't play the latter two but I'm assuming they're more or less the same stats. Dual-wielding auto shotguns is such a cool concept that works with these dumb as shit games, but it feels like they made individual shots wimpier just to not make dual-wielding too broken. I'd rather just have a more powerful auto-shotgun than dual-wielding weaker auto-shotguns. I don't know, I'm weird. Also the sound design is not quite as boomy as I'd like for these kinds of games.

5. Rage

It's a COD-era shotgun for sure but it feels really, really good to use. I didn't play the second game, oh well.

6. Quake 1

It's weak as shit, but that's okay. It gives players a decent mid-to-long range option unlike the Doom pistol and it's fun to gib fodder with Quad Damage.

7. Quake 3/Quake Live

It's not bad as the middle-ground between a shotgun and a super shotgun, but in Quake 3's PvP setup, it's just kind of mediocre and hardly gets used. Awesome sound effects, though, if you have good headphones or speakers.

8. Quake Live

It's just a worse version of Quake 3's with worse spread, slightly worse damage, and limited range of 1500 units according to the wiki. Did they really need to make Quake 3's shotgun even worse?

9. Quake Champions

It's just a worse version of Quake 3's with worse sound effects. And a worse game to use it in.

10. Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War

Yeah, remember this port? It added a shotgun. You only got to use it 3 times but it felt alright and satisfying those few times.

11. Doom Eternal

I mean it's fine, I guess? The spread's okay but it's so fucking weak, it takes something like 13 shots to kill a Mancubus at point blank. Full-auto basically exists to remedy its pathetic strength, and even that's made useless by the Sticky Bomb which is far more ammo efficient and works better with the quick-swapping system. The primary fire's SFX are also really wimpy, like a bass-boosted cat sneezing.

12. Quake 2

It's weak as shit, it recycles the Quake 1 Nailgun sound, its design is hideous, and it has the exact same RoF as the Super Shotgun so it's immediately made useless.

13. Doom 2016

Just fucking trash. The spread is so wide that it usually takes 3 shots to kill an Imp within 6 feet. Explosive Shot and Charged Burst lose all effectiveness once you get the Rocket Launcher and Super Shotgun. Remember when John Romero said "they got the weapon and monster stats exactly the same as in the originals"? I remember.

14. Doom 3

Possibly the worst shotgun to ever exist in any game ever. Yeah, it kills anything in 2 shots if you're at melee range. So what? If it's not fun to use, why bother? The regular Machine Gun is better for most things early on. You can't even use the "it's meant to be a horror game" excuse because Resident Evil 4 came out a year later and its shotgun makes Doom 3's look even more pathetic by comparison.

party pooper

1.- Doom 1

2.- PS Doom because of the new sound

3.- Doom 64

4.- Doom 2016 and eternal, because they are very weak without upgrades

5.- Doom 3 (Even though I like Doom 3's shotgun)

Doom 64’s is my favorite because it’s not raised up to rack the action like in the pc version, similarly to Quake. While the PC version may look more cool and is iconic, the other makes more tactical sense. 

"The Super Shotgun. Why is it not called double barrel? Because it's better. Because it's super"

Brutal doom's shotguns are good, that's why I used the graphics in Doom2. I wish there was a way to change the bullet spread. A diamond spread would be better than the classic 4-bullets-at-same height.

Another one

image.png.c0bbb54843e3affa0a6e5740b2ea863a.png

Edit: Here's an actual tier list as that's what the threads about:

1: Doom 64

2: Doom 1 & 2

3: Doom Eternal

4: Doom 2016

5: Doom 3

Edited by Wavy : Names suck

8 hours ago, Wavy said:

Another one

image.png.c0bbb54843e3affa0a6e5740b2ea863a.png

Edit: Here's an actual tier list as that's what the threads about:

1: Doom 64

2: Doom 1/2

3: Doom Eternal

4: Doom 4

5: Doom 3

I will never understand the naming conventions in this game series.

7 minutes ago, MortarCasualty said:

I will never understand the naming conventions in this game series.

Hehe me neither. =P

9 hours ago, Naarok0fkor said:

Brutal doom's shotguns are good, that's why I used the graphics in Doom2. I wish there was a way to change the bullet spread. A diamond spread would be better than the classic 4-bullets-at-same height.

I think you can change the spread with some dehacked magic. But I'm not sure

2 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

I think you can change the spread with some dehacked magic. But I'm not sure

I agree. I'm not sure how. 

I like the Shotgun, because you can fire grenades, but it has a bad spread. If you run out of grenades, just switch to the Shotgun, which is like a sniper rifle with it's spread, but you have to reload. If you have to reload, it's faster to switch to the Shotgun, which fires automatically. It does use a lot of shells in a small amount of time, but there's this really obscure shotgun. It looks strange, it's magazine is on the side of the barrel. But it does a lot of damage for being a break-action shotgun.