Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Max Cady

Adding WAD dosbox What am I doing wrong?

Here are the pictures.

What am I doing wrong. Nothing is happening. I just want to add the kick ass music.

1517749409_Image16.png.017b125c052ecb60adf153bc993c7b56.png350859214_Image17.png.29a8cda6f590756fb57bb421a7186da1.png406786048_Image18.png.e3704aebc81b1f9fc3d2c0f6348e524c.png

IDKFA.wad is not meant for DOS Doom as the tracks in the wad is not supported, and have to be converted, the results of which would not be worth doing. You are lucky enough to not have the tracks sound distorted ingame.

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

have to be converted, the results of which would not be worth doing.

So I can't really put that music in? You're saying that it's complicated so I can just forget about this?

15 minutes ago, RottingZombie said:

are you willing to use a source port instead of DOS Box? That should work. Chocolate Doom would be a close match to DOS Doom.

So I should download Chocolate Doom?

14 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

So I should download Chocolate Doom?

Chocolate Doom won't work either. You'll need a source port that can playback music in .ogg format, such as GZDoom.

10 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Chocolate Doom won't work either. You'll need a source port that can playback music in .ogg format, such as GZDoom.

10 hours ago, RottingZombie said:

Oh my apologies; I assumed it was midi files. Ok yea zdoom based port would work :).

It doesnt work for the music but for Doom 1 wad, yes

Image 9.png

Are you a purist or have you just not experimented with source ports yet? GzDoom is controversial for some people but everyone should at least try it.

GzDoom will allow you to do pretty much whatever you want in terms of modding, including custom music in pretty much every file format. You can even replace music for any wad using SLADE, and it's a very simple process that takes about three minutes to learn.

If you don't like Gz (which is relatively common for various reasons) you can always try another source port or go back to DOS. Nothing to lose.

1 hour ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Are you a purist or have you just not experimented with source ports yet? GzDoom is controversial for some people but everyone should at least try it.

All I want is to replace the music with kick ass music. Here it is.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/idkfa-doom-soundtrack

When I add the IDKFAv2.wad file in the Doom folder directory, nothing happen. Can you help me? thx

you can click the doom.wad, then hold ctrl and click the idkfav2.wad and drag them onto gzdoom.exe

Or, open a command window into the gzdoom folder and type just like you did in DOSBox. For example, if you installed GZDoom into c:\gzdoom (along with doom.wad and IDKFAv2.wad), you could open a command window and type

cd c:\gzdoom [enter]

gzdoom -iwad doom.wad -file idkfav2.wad [enter]

Open a command window by hitting your windows key or start menu and type cmd then hit enter

8 hours ago, RottingZombie said:

you can click the doom.wad, then hold ctrl and click the idkfav2.wad and drag them onto gzdoom.exe

Or, open a command window into the gzdoom folder and type just like you did in DOSBox. For example, if you installed GZDoom into c:\gzdoom (along with doom.wad and IDKFAv2.wad), you could open a command window and type

Open a command window by hitting your windows key or start menu and type cmd then hit enter

I don't know how to type the slash ''\'' in command window as I dont know where it is on my keyboard.

IMG_20210514_055243.jpg

47 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

I don't know how to type the slash ''\'' in command window as I dont know where it is on my keyboard.

Dragging & dropping the wads on the GZDoom executable like @RottingZombie mentioned would be easier. In any case, looks like it's here:

QPptb2Q.jpg

What keyboard language setup do you have? Cause it doesnt work for me. I tried to hold shift or CTRL but nothing works. I wanna know cause it,s useful to know that for other cases.

49 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

What keyboard language setup do you have? Cause it doesnt work for me. I tried to hold shift or CTRL but nothing works. I wanna know cause it,s useful to know that for other cases.

Use a virtual keyboard. Here's how.

Alternatively: just press \. That literally gives me that symbol.

Alternatively: Hold the arrow key next to the ? and press the \ button. You will switch to the alternate symbol (Highlighted in your picture.)

1 hour ago, bipolarmaximus said:

Are you trying to use a UK English language setup with a US layout keyboard or something?

2 hours ago, vadrig4r said:

Are you trying to use a UK English language setup with a US layout keyboard or something?

I'm french. so the button gives me a ''à''

3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Use a virtual keyboard. Here's how.

Alternatively: just press \. That literally gives me that symbol.

Alternatively: Hold the arrow key next to the ? and press the \ button. You will switch to the alternate symbol (Highlighted in your picture.)

Thank you so much! I will try it tomorrow!

On 5/13/2021 at 9:26 PM, RottingZombie said:

Here what it tells me pal.

Image 2.png

42 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

Yeah, you need to buy the full version of Doom.

Ok. Now I have doom installed in my steam account. Trying to copy paste the ADKFAv2.wad in 2 directory. Trying to open the game twice just to test if the new music will be in the game.

I even try with the virtual box.

Image 3.png

Image 4.png

Image 5.png

Image 6.png

Image 8.png

Edited by bipolarmaximus

Uh... you're trying to open the WAD with the DOS version of Doom, which, as we have already told you, will not work.

You need to copy the DOOM.WAD file from the "SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\base" directory to your GZDoom directory, and then run the mod with GZDoom, as before.