Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xScavengerWolfx

Lord of hell (icon of sin) [Rejected community project map]

Map Name: Lord of hell (icon of sin) [Rejected community Project map]

Author: ScavengerWolf

Build Time: 2 months (for Community project but rejected)

Game/Map: DooM 2/ Map 30

Music: Stock MIDI D_OPENIN

Textures: [Stock]

Difficulty Settings: [no]

Ports Tested: LZDoom

Description: This was my first attempt at a community project mapping, but in the end it was rejected. It was rejected because it didn't fit the theme of the project and it was made by a beginning mapper (which i'm still new at mapping), to be honest i give it a shot to do a Slaughter-esque style of map. So here it is my rejected MAP 30 icon of sin map i made. 

Note: I still can't make the Ios (Icon of sin) textures work so i made a alternant style of it. I also put a few extra stuff in so it would be easier....maybe. 

Let me know what i did right and wrong and what i should do better if i decided to help with a another community project in the future. Have fun and remember your criticism helps me get better at mapping, but please don't be a maga douche or a snobby asshole. That makes me really annoyed and makes me feel like i should quit (i ain't going to quit mapping btw).

Lord of hell (icon of sin).zip

I kinda suck at doom and am relatively new to mapping as well, so sorry if my criticism is bad.

It's pretty fun, there's some good fights, the marble room fight in particular.

• There's a bunch of problems though. I first tried it in prboom+ and got softlocked at the armor platform (That was my fault) so I switched to gzdoom.
  • After the second fight with the chainsaw, I accidentally fell off the chaingun platform and had to idclip through the door to get back up. That's mostly on me though.
  • How do you get the bfg/berserk/megasphere? I opened it up in UDB and couldn't find any way to lower it.
  • The revenant/plasma gun secret wasn't really that hidden, honestly.
  • The marble room was great, I enjoyed it. There was a lot of ammo and health though, so I didn't really have a lot of difficulty clearing it, and the varied monster types allowed me to just hang around the edges until most of them infought to death.
  • The cyberdemon fight was too easy, I think. I used the invincibility and held down the plasma button until it died. The cacos and imps afterward weren't a threat at all. Maybe having to fight them both at the same time would have been more challenging?
  • Personally, I hate IoS fights with a passion. This one is pretty normal. I think the room is a little bare though, aesthetic wise.

Honestly, it wasn't too hard. Maybe removing some health and ammo around the map could force players to rely more on infighting and add a bit more depth to the fights? But I did enjoy it. Hopefully someone more experienced can elaborate better.

24 minutes ago, RetMenTos said:

I kinda suck at doom and am relatively new to mapping as well, so sorry if my criticism is bad.

It's pretty fun, there's some good fights, the marble room fight in particular.

• There's a bunch of problems though. I first tried it in prboom+ and got softlocked at the armor platform (That was my fault) so I switched to gzdoom.
  • After the second fight with the chainsaw, I accidentally fell off the chaingun platform and had to idclip through the door to get back up. That's mostly on me though.
  • How do you get the bfg/berserk/megasphere? I opened it up in UDB and couldn't find any way to lower it.
  • The revenant/plasma gun secret wasn't really that hidden, honestly.
  • The marble room was great, I enjoyed it. There was a lot of ammo and health though, so I didn't really have a lot of difficulty clearing it, and the varied monster types allowed me to just hang around the edges until most of them infought to death.
  • The cyberdemon fight was too easy, I think. I used the invincibility and held down the plasma button until it died. The cacos and imps afterward weren't a threat at all. Maybe having to fight them both at the same time would have been more challenging?
  • Personally, I hate IoS fights with a passion. This one is pretty normal. I think the room is a little bare though, aesthetic wise.

Honestly, it wasn't too hard. Maybe removing some health and ammo around the map could force players to rely more on infighting and add a bit more depth to the fights? But I did enjoy it. Hopefully someone more experienced can elaborate better.

Ok so let me break it down for you:

1. How do you get the bfg/berserk/megasphere?

Answer: You can't. I made that way so it's taunting you. 

2. The revenant/plasma gun secret wasn't really that hidden, honestly.

Answer: Yeah i don't know what i was thinking when i did that to be honest.

3. The cyberdemon fight was too easy, I think.

Answer: Oh trust me it was a hell of lot worse before. I had 10 Arch-Viles in there and let me tell ya.....was not fun play testing at all.

4.  think the Icon of sin (IOS) room is a little bare though, aesthetic wise.

Answer: I was going to do more of a pillar style fight but i just wanted to be done with it and move on.  

5. After the second fight with the chainsaw, I accidentally fell off the chaingun platform and had to idclip through the door to get back up.

Answer: I made it where you only had one shot at getting the chaingun and hit the switch, but when i do an updated version of it (if i'm not busy working on Underground Toxicity 2) i'll make that room to where you can back track.

Overall: Hey man it's a learning curve, i take criticism where i can get them you know. I'm glade you enjoyed it and the marble room was supposed to be more harder but i dial it down so it wasn't so Plutonian eques for the player....Another words i didn't want to fill it full of chain gunners, revenants and Arch-vile's......