Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
E.M.

Vanilla Wafers: A Vanilla-Compatible Mini-Episode [now on idgames!]

Short and simple but efficient. Liked the archvile/hellknight trap in map 05. Considering it's this short it could've been a little prettier, but I guess I'm just a vain shell of a person. A good thing to do with your hands while listening to a podcast, thanks.

6 minutes ago, Snark said:

Short and simple but efficient. Liked the archvile/hellknight trap in map 05. Considering it's this short it could've been a little prettier, but I guess I'm just a vain shell of a person. A good thing to do with your hands while listening to a podcast, thanks.

I wished I could make it prettier, but the visplane limit wouldn't let me.

I just tore through this on HMP.

I mostly enjoyed the hell out of it, especially the first four maps. I can see some of these being part of Zone 300 (small map megawad, check it out if you haven't played it). It had the things I enjoy out of Doom - simple maps without puzzles, lots of shooting weak monsters, and tons of collectables on the floor.

I did think the monster traps were overused by the end of it. For example, every time I picked up a new gun or key, I knew some monsters would be in my face immediately. I think if it is used a little less, you expect it and are tense when it doesn't happen, and that may be more fun? Or maybe some other monster closets could open elsewhere instead, so when you backtrack in a hurry you run into something.

I would have been frustrated if I died to instant archvile surprises, but luckily I escaped them all.

Finally, the last map felt like it would be a good map30 to a full casual small-map megawad.

Please continue making short action packed maps with good music! Thanks for 15 minutes of fun! This is going into my permanent collection.

Just played it as well and really dug it, especially MAP06. It's nice to have a bunch of short maps that don't feel like such a slog.

Thanks for making it!

Great stuff as usual, @E.M.! I like these short sets of small maps, like the castle one you posted not long ago. This one had some excellent traps, some of which were quite nasty. The inclusion of hallways filled with imps/zombies to satisfying fire the SSG into was also much appreciated. This was really fun!

Sweet! Very vanilla yet pretty challenging at times. I like how the ambushes seem insurmountable at first. But there is the chance to retreat and approach it more strategic. There are not many secrets but they are hidden very nicely. One can find them by carefully observing. No random wall hugging needed. I like that! I played maps 1 to 3, but the recording was missing the sound and - most important - the music! Maybe I can record again on HMP if you would like to see how balancing is if not played on UV. Lovely mini episode. Make more please!

7 hours ago, RottingZombie said:

@E.M. by any chance do you have a text file to go with this? (I like to have them open up before the wad with my shortcuts)

I'll go ahead and write one up.

EDIT: Here you go. VWAFERS_TXT.zip

Edited by E.M.

A map 04 pistol start on UV. I would not have survived the blue key ambush without the secret. The invisible wall at 2:55 is a bit awkward. You're forcing the player back into the arena. But is it really necessary? All very nice maps. Have to play more...

Began playing this last night and I'm really enjoying it. It's giving me some great old school vibes and the midi's are kickin'!

I'll continue on, but wanted to say great work on this E.M.!

Sorry if I'm bumping the thread. Tis wad has been on my backlog since it came out, I recently played it and I loved it. This mapset of short maps are great. I started liking this since the first map. The maps are, like you said, short and to the point. This I liked because I didn't have to use too much time for the wad and probably if these maps were longer they would feel dragged out. 

Mini Thy Flesh Consumed (reimagined)! You really did a wonderful job with this map! I was in dorm at late night and almost screamed after first trap with Revenant XD. These short but really interactive and cleverly monster packed maps are great for some ADRENALINE RUSH! I only dislike the ever increasing ambushes from behind. Send more enemies from the front than the back ;)

Loved it, short but sweet. Absolutely nails that classic, old-school feel. Did not find it particularly difficult, but that's a good thing.

I think this map set can be an introduction to new players who have just finished Doom 2 and have an interest in TNT or Plutonia, because it tests some of the key areas required to beat them: situational awareness, target prioritization, and secret hunting. Playing this before committing to a journey into the harder IWADs definitely helps. The highlight for me is the delicious, face-melting rhythm of 'Cranberry Sauce'. Good job!