Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

What vanilla pwad would have caused the biggest WOW when replaced with doom2?

12 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

Crispy Doom

Crispy removes limits. Disqualified. :P

I think people are confusing vanilla compatible with other things like "vanilla map format" and "vanilla but limit removing."

If it doesn't run in doom2.exe, it's not vanilla compatible.

11 hours ago, Juza said:

Alien Vendetta. BTSX is cool but it doesn't have much variation in themes. Doom 2 Reloaded too maybe, but it doesn't fix Doom 2's problem of subpar gameplay

BTSX E1’s new textures and layouts alone would be enough to blow people away in the 90s, varied or not. E2 on the other hand has the variety as well as the new textures. 

17 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

Crispy removes limits.

I forgot about that.

17 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

I think people are confusing vanilla compatible with other things like "vanilla map format" and "vanilla but limit removing."

If it doesn't run in doom2.exe, it's not vanilla compatible.

Yeah, true.

inspired by all your great answers I would also go for AV, simply imagine loading map20 in '94. except of some larger areas it might have worked for the hardware too and for sure would have blown people away. what fascinates me (and that was one reason to create this post) is to see when the wads suggested were actually made. astonishingly most of them are quite old ~20 years or older. anyone has an idea what the cause of this is? nostalgia? lack of people creating vanilla compatible wads today?