Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

How do you pronounce the word "Cacoward?"

So I pronounce it "Cack-o-ward." (emphasis on the 'Cack.')

And just now I was watching this youtube video, and in it the commentator pronounced it "Kay-co-ward." And it sounded really off to me. Now I am not saying that it was wrong at all, just that I had never assumed that there would be another way to pronounce it.

So I just wanted to poll the community and see how people pronounce it. Is my natural, totally unconscious and automatic pronunciation of it 'right'? Is there any 'right' in this regard?

This also kind of leads into the pronunciation of the word "Cacodemon" as well. ("Kay-co-demon" or "Cack-o-demon"?)

Interested to hear people's thoughts.

So you're saying it like Cake-o-demon?

This reminds me when I realised people said "zee-doom" instead of "zed-doom"

"Cack" vs "Cake." is how I intended the differences. Yeah probably the way you have put it is more clear.

And yes I was surprised the first time I heard people saying "Zee-Doom" I had always just said "Zed-Doom" also.

Everyone I've ever known in real life has pronounced cacodemon as cake-oh-demon. Myself included. I was really surprised when I started hearing cack-oh-demon. 

I realize it's officially the correct pronunciation, but it still sounds weird to me. Maybe cake-oh is a regional dialect, like steamed hams.

1 hour ago, Foodles said:

Well imagine my surprise when I was a wee lad and realized that British people pronounced zee as "zed". I was always thinking "Why are they always talking about this Zed guy?". The pronunciation really didn't click until years later when I was taking a German class in high school and found out the Germans pronounce it as zett, well really tsett. I'm assuming the British kept using a very close version of the pronunciation because the English language was based on the Germanic language of the Anglo-Saxons. 

Besides, whenever I hear it pronunced zed, I always think of this:

266077025-9462ea7a54fb8c930356b66f694bf3

Edited by Jello : Wanted to quote Foodles; didn't want to double post.

1 hour ago, Foodles said:

I say it as zee-doom.

I still have to consciously try to not pronounce it as 'cock-o-demon'. That's what I always called it as a kid, not realizing how phallic it sounds. I never knew any different until someone raised their eyebrow when I mentioned the 'cock awards' and then it occurred to me that I may be pronouncing it wrong, either that or life is just one big joke.

Cack-o-ward, Cack-o-demon, and Zee Doom have always been how I pronounced these apparently contentious words.

(I grew up in the US so “zee” feels more natural. The pronunciation fits in with B, C, D, E, etc. “Zed” sounds like what you’d call some little alien creature)

You all pronounce it wrong

Cacodemon = kuh-COH-d'muhn

Cacowards = kuh-COWARDS

ZDoom = just like it's written, one syllable, zdoom здум 

2 hours ago, battlescroll said:

kayco is how some people say cacodemon and i dont know why

Caco is probably too close to cock, and they feel uncomfortable with it. Then again, who knows.

I think this calls for a monster design now though... the cake-o-demon. A three layered floating cake with multi-coloured icing. Mmmm.... cake....

Cack-o-wards
Cack-o-demon

41 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:

ZDoom = just like it's written, one syllable, zdoom здум 

Zee-Doom? Zed-Doom? nah, Ze-Doom

Since their inception in 2004, I have always spoken the name as "cake-o-wards." As the progenitor of the awards, this is the correct answer and anything else in this thread is incorrect.

12 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

Since their inception in 2004, I have always spoken the name as "cake-o-wards." As the progenitor of the awards, this is the correct answer and anything else in this thread is incorrect.

God bless you Scuba Steve for clearing that up. Now I feel vindicated and self righteous in knowing my pronunciation of caco is correct.

It's written "cacoward" but it's pronounced "throat wobbling mangrove"

Somewhere out there is a person that pronounces it Cah-Co-Demon and they are my enemy

Cacodemon is just κακος δαιμων, no?

Greek Alpha is never "cake" A. And no English word with the caco root that I know of is pronounced with a long "cake" A either.

But hey, if you're inventing a word, you can pronounce it how you want, even if it's just a portmanteau of things that have definitive, established pronunciations. I guess.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Cack-o-ward, Cack-o-demon, and Zee Doom have always been how I pronounced these apparently contentious words.

This.  Except being English, I guess I should pronounce it "Zed Doom", but the double-d always trips me up.  Would it be "zehdoom" or "zed-doom"?  Or something in the middle, like "zeh'doom"?

Also "Geezeedoom" is easier to say than "gee-zed-doom", so there's that.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

56 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

I would ordinarily agree that the progenitor of the name would have some sway in the debate, but if that was universally the case, I'd have to start pronouncing gif as "jif", and fuck that.

How I would say them:

CACK-o-demon, CACK-o-ward. The way I pronounce the CACKs doesn't sound very close to "cock" to my ears. Calling them CAKE-o-demons however does sound very weird to me. It's a demon made of cake?

ZDoom/GZDOom is weird because the first is ZED-oom, but saying GEE-zed-doom or GEE-zed-oom feels too clunky compared to saying GEE-zee-doom, which rolls off the tongue relatively easily.

As far as I'm concerned, "Jif" is a cleaning product, not a file format.