Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

How do you pronounce the word "Cacoward?"

35 minutes ago, BaileyTW said:

Somewhere out there is a person that pronounces it Cah-Co-Demon and they are my enemy

Somewhere right here, you mean. Nice to make your antagonistic acquaintance.

If you google "caco pronounce" there are three videos with three distinct ways to pronounce it. And even more odd is that the American pronunciation is "Cake-Oh" while the British English is "Cack-Oh" even though I'm finding the opposite happening in this thread, though I'm unsure about most of everyone's country of origin and could be wrong about that. I always pronounced it as a hybrid of Portuguese and American, so rather than "Cock-Ooh" like it's "Cock-Oh". While possibly the most humorous, it's likely to be the least correct. But I can't help it. 1000 apologies.

3 minutes ago, NoXion said:

As far as I'm concerned, "Jif" is a cleaning product, not a file format.

JIF is a brand of peanut butter to me.

12 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

You've just made an enemy for life, or at least till I forget later today.

1 hour ago, Lippeth said:

If you google "caco pronounce" there are three videos with three distinct ways to pronounce it. And even more odd is that the American pronunciation is "Cake-Oh" while the British English is "Cack-Oh" even though I'm finding the opposite happening in this thread, though I'm unsure about most of everyone's country of origin and could be wrong about that. I always pronounced it as a hybrid of Portuguese and American, so rather than "Cock-Ooh" like it's "Cock-Oh". While possibly the most humorous, it's likely to be the least correct. But I can't help it. 1000 apologies.

JIF is a brand of peanut butter to me.

So I was right, it's most likely a regional dialect.

Although I do pronounce .gif as .jif. I know it stands for graphics interchange format, and graphics has a hard G sound. But I've always pronounced it jif. I've had conversations over it before, and it was nice to see that the creator themselves, Steve Wilhite intended it to be pronounced as jif, 

I'll still say gibs as gibs with a hard g, even if it derives from giblets. Because I think ludicrous gibs is funnier, and sounds more visceral, than ludicrous jibs. You can fight me on that one, but gif is supposed to be pronounced as jif. And when I see a long necked herbivore with spots from Africa, I don't call it a guh-raffe.

cakəwaad (?)

cack-uh-words

idk if that's the wisconsin in me or what but i always end up saying the o in caco as more of a u

I've always said KACK-O-DEMON, further reinforced by I'm pretty sure the word cacophony is pronounced similar and is the origin of it.

There's also a band called that.

Some people might pronounce it more like KAHK-O-DEMON.   Think before requesting a picture of how that sounds.

Something that drives me nuts though is I've always pronounced and heard advertisement like AD-VER-TIZE-MENT.   But in the movie Twelve Monkeys, a women says it like Advert-tissment.

I also say jibs for gibs and jiffs for gifs.

And I say water like a soft worter rather than wahter.

Edited by Gokuma

8 hours ago, Foodles said:

So you're saying it like Cake-o-demon?

This reminds me when I realised people said "zee-doom" instead of "zed-doom"

Z as zed is British, zee is American, iirc.

Dunno if that comparison applies to caco/cake-o.

Normally this “cake awards” pronunciation would be a life-shattering discovery, but it honestly fits here. What good are awards without cake, I mean really?!

55 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Normally this “cake awards” pronunciation would be a life-shattering discovery, but it honestly fits here. What good are awards without cake, I mean really?!

Iirc, there even used to be a cake image that appeared every year with the award announcement, back when we had the old forums with the news page.

It's still pronounced Cackowards though.

CA CO DEE MON, like Paco.

Also, how do you pronounce WAD? W.A.D? Weide? PeeWeide?

10 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

Zed-Doom because Brit English takes precedence here,

I'm Australian myself, but I just cannot get by how weird zed doom sounds. Zee-Doom just flows better.

Whilst it is zed, I cannot see why we cannot allow zee-doom when the combination of letters “ough” have over half a dozen different sounds.

Also if there was one thread discussion that could burn Doom world to the ground, a discussion relating to the ridiculousness of the English language is probably very high on the list..... :p

On topic - It’s always been “Cack-o-wards” to me. Same sounds with cacodemon.

I’m disappointed to learn that it’s not just @Jimmy who’s been saying it wrong all this time. It’s Cack!

9 minutes ago, Phobus said:

I’m disappointed to learn that it’s not just @Jimmy who’s been saying it wrong all this time. It’s Cack!

Hey, just be glad a friend that I had when we were eight years old isn't here.

He called them "Cankerdemons". Now let that sink in.

Cake-oh-demons isn't so bad now, is it? 

Until I heard someone say "Gee Zed Doom" I really thought the sourceport was called "Cheesy Doom" because I had only ever heard people mumble "Gee Zee Doom"

Sometimes having a different sound for the letter can be helpful.

As for the awards and the demons, I don't know if we're actually discussing different pronunciations here so much as regional accents.  What you might consider the "wrong" way to pronounce a word is probably just the correct way to pronounce it in a different part of the world.

The pronunciation wasn't a problem for me, since I always pronounce it as "카코워드".

4 hours ago, ShallowB said:

Until I heard someone say "Gee Zed Doom" I really thought the sourceport was called "Cheesy Doom" because I had only ever heard people mumble "Gee Zee Doom"

"Cheesy Doom" sounds like a hot new source port. Like Chocolate Doom or Crispy Doom.

Cack-oh is how I pronounce it, but I'm British. I never really thought about the differences between American English and British English for the Cacodemon.

I thought everyone called it a Cack-oh-demon because of the word Cacophony. Especially due to the wake up sound the Cacodemon makes. Look on the bright side, at least no one calls it a Coh-coh-demon (yep, cocoa leaf) because that's exactly how my halfwit of a brother pronounced it for years. He used to do that on purpose just to make me cringe.

There are some extreme regional accents or pronunciations to many common words in both the UK and US, so I never really questioned it. Cake-oh-demon or Cack-oh-demon, Toe-may-toe vs Tah-mah-toe, it doesn't really matter as long as I can understand it. Same thing for zed-doom vs zee-doom.

Oddly enough I don't pronounce Gzdoom as gee-zed-doom, I call it gee-zee-doom. It just sounds right even though I'm British and I have no intention of changing it.

I never really considered it until I noticed someone else mention it in this thread, that's just how I've always pronounced it. It's probably the only word I use that has Z pronounced as Zee instead of Zed.

1 minute ago, Final Verdict said:

Cack-oh is how I pronounce it, but I'm British. I never really thought about the differences between American English and British English for the Cacodemon.

My impression was that most Americans pronounce it the former way too. I'm British but most of the YouTubers I watch on the subject are American. Which is why it threw me that one time that Civvie pronounced it the latter way.

I keep saying "Gray-dee-us" even though most people I know stick with "Grad-ee-us." I THINK both are acceptable.

... oh, wait. Cack-o-ward for me.

1 hour ago, Final Verdict said:

I thought everyone called it a Cack-oh-demon because of the word Cacophony.

The "caco" part of both words is from the greek "κακό" meaning bad/evil.

Cacophony = evil sound

Cacodemon = evil spirit

53 minutes ago, Nootrac4571 said:

Cacophony = evil sound

Cacodemon = evil spirit

I know but that's just how I imagined it, because of the racket the thing makes when it wakes up.

I always figured it was a word play thing with the word cacophony. It's evil and it's noisy.

4 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

Cacophony = evil sound

Cacodemon = evil spirit

Then the Cacowards are evil awards, antithesis of the Nobel price.