Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IrOn7HuB

Today is the 5th anniversary of DOOM 2016

I can't believe it's been 5 years now. I felt like I played the game months before. It's surprising.
The game came out as revolutionary for fans to recognize the IP once again and perfectly innovated the modern "first person shooter" to be as fun as the three classics. It really paid off and it created a whole active fanbase for the (new)Doom.

I still own my (kind of) redeemed Steam physical copy of the game from day one, including a poster that features the Cyberdemon and the Doom marine. It was a great experience. I hoped this game to have more access to user generated content (Like mods) for it to become eternal, but I guess it's still great as it is.

They should release the canceled Doom 4 project to celebrate tbh.

Yup, Doom 2016 is great. I have "evolved" and embraced Eternal's mechanics more but at times I still am more impressed with the visuals of the former.

And damn I missed user content, I'm content with snapmap.

But the whole Doom 4 content be released, it's never that simple to just "release". Optimisation, stability, what's actually finished vs what we see in the leaks, functional on different PCs / consoles etc. That requires a big budget and effort on its own.

I'm super happy to see the fifth B-Day of DOOM 2016. It was a groundbreaking tittle and one that's do a great balance in exploration and modern fast paced combat, and the OST of my days on the gym.

Congratulations to iD Software to successfully bring back this IP, and for many more!

5 years, time flies, eventhough Eternal's gameplay has grown on me the more I played it I still think this game looks better, and the multiplayer isn't a joke, I still hop back in every once in while for quick Team Modes playlist rounds.

Great Game, i even got it on the Switch because i like insane Ports :)

The only Thing i dislike is that it reloads the whole Map if you fall down.

But the Rest is just very Fun.

You could also make an argument that this is also the 5 year anniversary of the return of boomer shooters. There were certainly other games before 2016 but doom 16 felt like it caused an explosion in interest

I cannot believe that that much time has passed already. I'm really starting to feel ancient...

Bumping this old thread because as i just felt like watching someone's playthrough of chapter 12, i noticed how this sword logo shows up and it's one i remember seeing on SnapMap.

Because something i always wondered about is if, after TAG2, the UAC or ARC would try to take notes from the Slayer and Sentinels, as means to expand their weaponry and military in case of another demonic invasion.

The most interesting part of this is reminding that, apparently, the whole Sentinel background was thought out later in 2016's development, because old posters reveal that Doomguy would still be a UAC soldier.

There's even rumors that he was going to be a cyborg.

And then there's how E3 2015 didn't have the Slayer symbol on his helmet.

I should replay 2016 when i return to my computer.

sword logo.PNG

I thought that was an interesting emblem as well when I went through it again. It's been awhile since I've played it and things like this didn't stick out as much to me the first time.

Emblem.png.6fe624d974d3d450927b0efc3de0ea5c.png

Partially related to Doombro's Slayer origins, it was also interesting to remember Argent D'nur giving the impression of this weird and overtaken world before Eternal revealed uncorrupted portions.

But, admittedly, I'm one of the worst people to talk about lore for these new games. I don't watch any of the cutscenes and only tiptoe into the codexes here and there, I care more about what's in and around the levels themselves.

Pretty crazy how it's nearly been 6 years since this came out. 

BTW Am I the only one who would prefer to call it "Doom 4" over "Doom 2016"?

I remember buying doom 2016 a good month or two after it came out. One of the very few games I bought full price. I still genuinely can't believe that it's been 6 years honestly, it feels like just a year passed; I was still in high school at the time and mostly played Brutal Doom mixed with some older megawads (which nowadays I don't really like BD but that's another can of worms on it's own lol)

It really does feel like a Doom 1/2 type shooter, with a real emphasis on semi-exploration, key collection, and fast-paced arena combat. I remember alot of disdain/worry at the time was that it was going to be a call-of-duty type shooter with little relation to the IP, and many were turned off by the very first gameplay demo they showed off at E3 due to it's slow-paced nature. Nowadays though, Doom 2016 and Eternal has brought a whole new fanbase to enjoy, which I think is a good thing overall.

But yeah, 6 years since it released. Damn...

I can't believe this, it still holds up as a modern game somehow. I'm more dedicated to play Doom Eternal but those 2 games are similar when compared to each other, despite how old Doom 2016 is.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:48 AM, IrOn7HuB said:

For me, I wouldn't be interested.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:48 PM, IrOn7HuB said:

I'd be very interested in it - More as a collector of Doom things, than anything else.

I still think the D4.10 project could at least be done as a spin-off or even some sort of available unfinished demo for people to try.

A stretch is it being available as a bonus feature inside/along another game.

There's a lot of cut content and unused stuff, like even just concepts, from the series that i always wonder if it could have a second change.

Or at least ingame galleries of concept art, that are essentially the "completed/extended" versions of the art books made for 3, 2016 and Eternal. (same for music galleries, that include rare or unused music bits)

I could see it following in a similar fashion to Halo: ODST, experiencing the gameworld through the perspective of a non-superhuman player character. They’ve done a few “side releases” to the Wolfenstein games like The Old Blood and Youngblood and I can imagine the theoretical “Doom ‘4-DST’” fitting in that mold.

Because D3 Ressurection of Evil was made by a different team (Nerve Soft i think), i wonder if id ever thought of having a different studio to make an expansion for either 2016 or Eternal, where they get to add new stuff to the game and explore the formula from their prespective.

Like, just to do new stuff in case we may not get a Doom 6 ever or at least in a while.

And it could also be like Wolfenstein Old Blood, where an expansion is big enough to feel like a "small game", as opposed to The Ancient Gods 1/2. (though these 2 had their own restrictions, of course).

Unless they wanna save some ideas and content for a big project but it also depends.

A different playable character could allow ideas that may not work that much in the base game unless the different style would also mean enough potential to make a game that is very distinct and big.

Like, i always assume id technically treats Doom as a "sandbox", even if some people don't like certain choices or features.

In a way, most of Doom is like a sandbox with maybe 3 being the exception. can be a hard to explain honestly.