Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
battlescroll

doom 2016 is 5 years old

it feels like yesterday when i was in 6th grade playing doom 2016 2 years late while have a computer that can barely run it. but its been 5 years that like half a decade... geez

Edited by battlescroll

Thank you for reminding me how old I am.
DOOM 2016 is one of the few games that I enjoyed so much, I ended up purchasing it on every available platform (PC, Xbone, PS4, Switch, even Stadia).
I'm just bummed that I didn't preorder the big 100 something dollar turbo-shit edition with a light up spooky skellington with piss and shit buttons.

On 5/14/2021 at 12:58 PM, battlescroll said:

it feels like yesterday when i was in 6th grade playing doom 2016 3 years late while have a computer that can barely run it. but its been 5 years that like half a decade... geez

Damn son. I played the original Doom when I was 13. 1993. My dad subscribed to shareware. We got a 5 1/4" floppy in the mail every week from Apogee. Then saw advertising for Wolfenstein after becoming hooked on Hovertank. Then we got doom, then finally Doom 2.

How recent its release still feels to me is kind of alarming. That 5 years flew by.

Oh man I am old.

I used to boot that sucker up every day and play some Multiplayer or SnapMap (despite the long long loading times I adored SnapMap).

I remember I would take cringe "badass" screenshots using the SnapMap camera function and the ingame emotes (Only found 2, warning, cringe)

It really has been that long.

Edited by mrthejoshmon

It's 5 years already?

*cue the battle music*

Still has a long way to do what its predecessor will do in 2023 (30 fucking years)...

Started it yesterday again because I lost interest in Eternal. 

The movement feels pretty slow compared to Eternal. I instantly want Dash and Meat Hook back :-(

But the atmosphere, story telling and tonality is much better than in Eternal. I'm already looking forward to Foundry, Argent Tower, Kadingir Sanctum and Necropolis :-) 

And I still don't have a good enough PC to play it :P

One of these days - I already bought it on Steam.

Crazy that half a decade has already passed!

I recently replayed through the first few levels after finally finishing Eternal and the levels and combat still hold up for me, and overall reminds me more of Doom 3 than classic Doom, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I remember playing the beta of the multiplayer after pre-ordering Wolfenstein: The New Order, watching the E3 gameplay over and over and then finally blasting through it and ultimately spending more time dicking around in Snapmap than anything else.

If you boot it up now you'll be bombarded with adverts for Eternal's expansions at the menu and it almost made me think I booted the wrong game for a second, and it's a lot more buggy than I remember; clipping through the floor when you die or the glory kill stinger sounds being silent in certain levels so the music's volume just drops awkwardly, but it's still really fun to play and is almost more difficult than Eternal at first when coming straight from its play style. I forgot how acrobatic the imps are but I love it!

The first Quake wouldn't be out for another year when I was in the sixth grade. I have nothing to add to that, you just got me thinking about the way time is experienced here on spaceship Earth.

On 5/22/2021 at 4:26 AM, Agent Slacker said:

Thank you for reminding me how old I am.

Just wait until you are more than 4 decades old... :-)

On 7/9/2021 at 2:36 PM, Shiro said:

Damn son. I played the original Doom when I was 13. 1993. My dad subscribed to shareware. We got a 5 1/4" floppy in the mail every week from Apogee. Then saw advertising for Wolfenstein after becoming hooked on Hovertank. Then we got doom, then finally Doom 2.

hehe.. same here... I was born in January 1980 :-)

Doom 2016 was the first time I requested an entire week off work just so I could dedicate all my time playing. I had forgotten what the sun looked like when I emerged for my house. Good times, good times

Holy shit, it’s also scary to know duke nukem forever just turned 10 this year. Damn time flies

23 hours ago, CBM said:

hehe.. same here... I was born in January 1980 :-)

My birthday is in July. We are now older than the people who made Doom when it came out.

...rippin' and tearin' gracefully I hope ;)

On 5/15/2021 at 3:58 AM, battlescroll said:

it feels like yesterday when i was in 6th grade playing doom 2016 3 years late while have a computer that can barely run it. but its been 5 years that like half a decade... geez

holy crap same. i feel about as old as you fam

In my case, DOOM feels more recent than it really is, because I only started to play it last year, when actually DOOM Eternal came up.

On 5/14/2021 at 8:58 PM, battlescroll said:

it feels like yesterday when i was in 6th grade playing doom 2016 2 years late while have a computer that can barely run it. but its been 5 years that like half a decade... geez

I'd still hit that :)